I can't stand the updated Maps, Google Navigation, Local apps

Mark McCuistion

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys... It drove me crazy for a while because I liked everything except the lack of my favorites. I finally figured it out.

If you open the Navi app or Local first instead of the Map-- to get to favorites you have to hit back to get to the map and then hit the little person icon in the address search bar and that will take you to favorites.
The little person icon is only available in the map view.

You obviously love to click buttons. This new app is horrible. Completely ruined my day the first day it showed up.

Thank you Casey!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You obviously love to click buttons. This new app is horrible. Completely ruined my day the first day it showed up.

Thank you Casey!

You're welcome! I'd be more peeved at Google, if not for the fact that Google is offering free wifi service to 31 different parks in San Francisco. I use Google daily to automatically and wirelessly synchronize my contacts and calendar from my smartphone to my Google account. Google does a lot of things right. But the current Maps/Navigation update is truly p!ss poor. For those who love the current update, they must really like clicking on extra buttons! Haha! When I'm driving, I want to get from point A to B in as few keystrokes and clicks as humanly possible. Obviously, we shouldn't be manipulating a device while driving, so trying to figure out how to navigate with additional clicking and keystrokes doesn't improve one's driving safety any, haha!

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
... For those who love the current update, they must really like clicking on extra buttons! Haha! When I'm driving, I want to get from point A to B in as few keystrokes and clicks as humanly possible. Obviously, we shouldn't be manipulating a device while driving, so trying to figure out how to navigate with additional clicking and keystrokes doesn't improve one's driving safety any, haha!

Well said. That pretty much sums up the debate for me as well. One of the great features of the previous app was the ability to add the Nav button option to the search result. From the time you searched to the time you were navigating you only had to touch the screen twice. That's very important in a moving vehicle. The less I have to interact with my phone while I'm driving the better. The new app isn't horrible but it does require more clicks and more of my attention when I'm driving and that's not a good thing.

coplaw

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is the worst update I have ever seen. Constantly crashes, tells me to turn in 300 feet as I am going past the street, all favorite places gone, too many steps to program it. I am downloading third party apps to check them out, but will not use Google maps again until they return to the old format, which was very accurate and simple to use. Talk about screwing something up!!!

bowlingotter

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this is bad. I'm finding the Navigation app to be extremely sluggish in comparison now, but the worst part is that it loses the navigation every time I switch to a different app. I switch back and it's asking me to input the destination again. No one feels like fumbling with that while driving. It sure makes switching to the music player and back again a pain. This is uncharacteristically sloppy for Google

ZeroFossilFuel

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I too played with the new GUI a bit and found most everything is there. The only real problem I found is navigation directions are completely fubar. 1.7 mile loop to get from my house to my next door neighbor? Really? Come on, people! If you want us to accept change,

IT AT LEAST HAS TO WORK CORRECTLY!

I followed Casey's direction and it worked great. Back to a normal WORKING app. Only thing I would add is to turn off global automatic updates first before doing the force stop and uninstall updates.

mattbrich

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Completely agree with all those who have voiced displeasure with the new Google Maps. Navigation is particularly terrible. Crashes and randomly stops navigation, asking me to re-select the destination. I no longer have a route overview option with rerouting options. The list goes on. I've reverted to the old version. I hope Google is listening to the outcry of faithful G Maps users who relied on it for business and personal use.

Mayur Chandan

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks bro! It worked, just glad to see local maps and navigation app... whew!!! :) ;) some updates really SUCKS, i hope google also puts rider stating u will b screwed after this update or they can mention u will loose following apps.:)

roxy4

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree. I fail to understand the purpose of changing things that work fine. If it was a business negotiation, at least keep the software as is and just change the face. Demolishing the software was completely stupid.

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had a lot of trouble with maps also. I can not find how to uninstall the update. I cannot find that option. I am rooted. I have the option of uninstalling the app, but not the update. Any help?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally am OK with the Google mapping apps. That said, has anyone tried Mapquest? I didn't care for it myself but if you hate Google, maybe check this one out.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had updated to the "new" maps on my GNEX and hated it. After a week I still couldnt do simple things like find favorites, etc. Fortunately my brand new s4 came with the older maps and I am trying to make sure I don't hit "update all" by mistake next time I'm in the app store...Old is much easier. As a fall back I have CoPilot, the beauty of it is that all the maps are downloaded into memory.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I like some of it. But I don't like how when I search it tells me a place doesn't exist. Or won't provide me with the closest UDF

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I rolled my phone back and uninstalled the update, but is there a way to stop getting constant notifications to update? No way am I going back to the "new' Maps/Nav!