I can't stand the updated Maps, Google Navigation, Local apps

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You can checkout Team Blackout's website and get an inverted maps 6.1whatever, and sideload it. You won't get the play store notification to update either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Heraldo, when I go to the playstore, and select the maps app, my only choice is to "open" it. There is no uninstall option that I see.

When I go into my phone's settings and then apps, my only options there are force close or disable. Again, there is no uninstall option. Right now, I have the app disabled. FYI, my phone is rooted, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Frank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Heraldo, when I go to the playstore, and select the maps app, my only choice is to "open" it. There is no uninstall option that I see.

When I go into my phone's settings and then apps, my only options there are force close or disable. Again, there is no uninstall option. Right now, I have the app disabled. FYI, my phone is rooted, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Frank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I do not know. I haven't been able to root my phone. But before I disabled any app I had to uninstall the updates. I imagine if you unfreeze it it will ask you to either update it or uninstall. But I'm not sure. But uninstalling updates worked for me.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Good news! I went to Application Manager, clicked on Maps, pressed the forced stop button, then did an uninstall updates, then cleared cache, then magic happened! My Google Navigation went back to "normal" like it used to be! Plus the "Local" app now also works normally like it used to.

The new Maps update and Google Navigation update is pure cr@p!!! Plus the updated Google Navigation was very unstable, as it was constantly giving me the message that this app has stopped working and needs to close. That's bull !!

Next time I see an update available for Maps, don't just say no to it, say HEEEEELLLLLLLLLL no to it! Okay, rant over. Whew!

Well I am one of the chosen few that actually like the new updated maps. I like having the navigation built in already and everything is in one place unlike the old system. The maps actually look good in sat mode.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I am one of the chosen few that actually like the new updated maps. I like having the navigation built in already and everything is in one place unlike the old system. The maps actually look good in sat mode.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Either way it didn't bother me but what really did bother me is that I would search an address and it would come up "address does not exist" or looking for a specific store and nothing would come up. And if did come up it wasn't the closest one but the one on the other side of town.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like that I live right next to a toll way, and I have preset navigation to icons on my home screen. In the old maps I can hit that button, click route and options, select avoid tolls. So it was three touches to get going and avoid the toll road. Also, if I was in a hurry and needed to get home, I could just hit the home button, and later go to route and turn off tolls.
With the new maps, I'd have to exit the navigation, input the address, select avoid tolls, then navigate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Robert Wuesthoff

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did the same thing, but now how do you prevent it from automatically updating, I have had to "uninstall updates" 3 times a day since?
I have an LG MOTION with Metro PCS. And Can't find the button in the google play app to prevent automatic updates. Can someone help me?

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I did the same thing, but now how do you prevent it from automatically updating, I have had to "uninstall updates" 3 times a day since?
I have an LG MOTION with Metro PCS. And Can't find the button in the google play app to prevent automatic updates. Can someone help me?

Open market, go to 'my apps', select menu, select settings, turn off auto update.

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Just received Map update 7.2.0. What a relief to get out of the beta. Seems to be working and stable, too. One complaint: gray on white doesn't work well in Florida midday glare. Tmo GS2. Bob Keesecker.

Posted via Android Central App

Tony Elliott

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thats exactly whats happening with me. Bad choice for in-car nav.

I'm generally pleased with the update. There's only one thing that is bugging me: map orientation.

In the previous version, if you hit the little compass rose button, you'd toggle between North up and travel direction up. I haven't totally figured out how it's working now - there's clearly a North up mode, but when you hit it, you simultaneously seem to 1) zoom in and 2) orient semi-randomly.

I think that the orientation in that second mode is probably based on the phone's magnetometer, and is attempting to orient in which way the phone is pointing. It seemed to rotate around with the phone, but would be waaaay offset from the true direction the phone was pointing. I recalibrated my compass using the GPS Status app, and this improved the direction to be within maybe 20 degrees of the actual phone direction...until I got into my car. The metal of the car threw things way off again.

I can see the utility of trying to orient based on which way the phone is pointing, but it really isn't working well using the compass. I'm wishing that when successive GPS readings showed significant movement, it would abandon the compass and instead use delta(position) to orient the map the way it used to.

HiFiHead

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was using Google Maps and Waze interchangeably, but since the latest update, Maps has been basically unusable, especially while trying to drive. I uninstalled updates and will try maps again. I'm becoming a Waze convert anyway, so in any case I may not be missing google maps much.

lissaebnj

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't seem to uninstall the update. I just got my S4 a few weeks ago and originally it had the old version of Google maps. It has now updated and I HATE it. When I go into manage applications, there is no option to uninstall the update. I am on Android 4.2.2. If there is an easy fix, I would love to know it.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't seem to uninstall the update. I just got my S4 a few weeks ago and originally it had the old version of Google maps. It has now updated and I HATE it. When I go into manage applications, there is no option to uninstall the update. I am on Android 4.2.2. If there is an easy fix, I would love to know it.

Another 1st time poster expressing pains of displeasure of Google Maps/Navigation?? Your Samsung S4 shouldn't be any different versus my Samsung Note 2 for doing an un-install of app updates. Maybe the peeps on the S4 forum might know something more? Just a thought. At worse, you might consider a hard reset to erase everything on your phone to start over again, seeing that you've only had your phone a short time. I hate doing hard resets myself, but sometimes it might be worthwhile. Needless to say, make sure everything is backed up first prior to doing any hard reset erasure.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realize this is actually posted to the S4 forum. I originally meant to post this thread to the Note 2 forum since I have a Note 2 myself. Duhhhhh!

Last edited: