Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon.
    I'm wondering if some of you use an anti-theft app in the hopes of being able to locate your phone via GPS if it is lost or stolen. And if so, which ones have you found most compatible with jelly bean and the design of this Samsung/Verizon phone?

I used to use Cerberus on my old Droid Charge but they now have a beta posted and try as I might, I couldn't get connected. I'm trying to avoid a combination AV and anti-theft to save memory. I have purchased a 64 gb card and so have enough storage space but memory is sometimes tight and an AV would run all the time.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
    07-22-2013 10:35 AM
    I was going to say a Cerberus, but you mention you're having problems with that. I am not sure what you mean by "a beta posted"...are you using this one? I don't see mention of a beta there.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.cerberus

In a previous life I used SeekDroid, but abandoned it in favor of Cerberus (and a couple advanced features it offered like the ability to record sound/video/pictures). I don't think SeekDroid has added that functionality yet, but if Cerberus is not working for you then it's worth checking out:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...edia.seekdroid
    07-22-2013 11:18 AM
    https://www.lookout.com/

that's what I use
    07-22-2013 01:53 PM
    I use Cerberus and it seems to work fine (I am rooted, if that matters). Luckily, I've never had to actually use it.
    07-22-2013 02:35 PM
    I recently started using Android Lost - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roidlost&hl=en.

Quite a lot of features in there for no cost.
    droidlouise likes this.
    07-22-2013 09:19 PM
    I use Carbonite to back up my laptop as will as my phones and tablets. They have an option to find your phone and remote wipe as well. Pretty cool.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-22-2013 09:52 PM
    In Google Play, as of last night anyway, right under the install button, before you hit install, the developer says he will have a final version of 2.4 or 4.4 (I forgot the version now), within the next few weeks. Therefore, I was calling it a beta but perhaps that's not really correct. At any rate, I've now tried to sign in with so many different names and passwords that I don't know what's what. Will try to follow it up today and send them an email.

Thanks for your suggestion. If necessary, I'll look at the other app you suggested
    07-23-2013 08:28 AM
    I use Crashplan and you've given me an idea of looking to see if they might offer something similar. Thanks
    07-23-2013 08:30 AM
    I use this
    07-25-2013 12:29 PM
    Sometimes it's a .357, sometimes a .38... sometimes a 9mm... all depends on my mood.... but I guess those are not apps.
    the53rdcard likes this.
    07-25-2013 04:56 PM
    Sometimes it's a .357, sometimes a .38... sometimes a 9mm... all depends on my mood.... but I guess those are not apps.
    BTW that was a good start .I'll add .45 ,12 gauge and 300aac Blackout to that list.
    07-26-2013 09:14 AM
    https://www.lookout.com/

that's what I use
    Thanks Scutley! DL'ing it now...

J
    07-26-2013 10:41 AM
    On RAZR, I had "Where's My Droid" but never needed to use it. A couple times I called it to locate it that worked fine but I don't have experience with it taking pictures of its surroundings, using GPS to locate, & of course, the wiping step. I have wondered if, under pressure of losing the phone or experiencing its being stolen- would I recall my settings! I made thse as logical as possible but really cannot respond from experience.
    I jus got my S4 & have been busy doing other setup basic stuff. Please let me know Ho you feel about this. Thx.
    08-19-2013 01:43 AM
    Has anyone tried the newly rolled out, or maybe it's rolling out, ANDROID DEVICE MANAGER?

From my quick read on it a week or so ago it's basically like Google's version of Find my iPhone which should allow a lot of those features.
    08-19-2013 10:53 AM
    I've been using Lookout for 3 years now and like it, it allows you to find on GPS, ring (extremely loud), and remotely wipe. I've played around with the Android Device Manager and it seems very accurate, gives you the same options.
    08-19-2013 12:05 PM
    All of the phones should have Android Device Manager enabled by default at this point. You should be able to locate it right now on the linked website - which is also accessible from the Google Paly (gear) settings icon.

If you go into your "Google Settings" "app" on your phone , you can check the "Allow remote factory reset" button to allow you to remote wipe from that site. You then can (1) locate it on a map, (2) have the phone ring for 5 minutes while you find it, or (3) remote wipe it. Of course after you remote wipe it you will lose the ability to track it, as it requires the phone to be logged in to the same Google Account.

All the above mentioned apps are good as well, and certainly not mutually exclusive. I just wanted to mention the "built in" app ..

Edit: I just realized Digitard mentioned this a few posts up ..
    08-19-2013 10:33 PM
    Google Device manager kicks ***!! Enabled it on mine and when my wife came home I hooked her dna up too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    08-19-2013 10:36 PM
    Google Device manager kicks ***!! Enabled it on mine and when my wife came home I hooked her dna up too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Well, it does not.
    1. If location services disabled, it doesn't locate device (would've expected from Google at least force enable it if request came from the Manager or use other way to report location).
    2. You cannot lock your device remotely.
    Not impressed at all.
    08-20-2013 02:02 PM
    Well, it does not.
    1. If location services disabled, it doesn't locate device (would've expected from Google at least force enable it if request came from the Manager or use other way to report location).
    2. You cannot lock your device remotely.
    Not impressed at all.
    I tend to agree. While the remote wipe option is nice, Google Device Manager is not exactly "anti-theft" feature...more of an "I've lost my phone and don't know what to do" feature, IMO. Better than nothing, I suppose...but certainly doesn't replace the functionality of many of the other apps folks have mentioned here.
    08-20-2013 04:11 PM