Delayed notifications from Gmail and hangouts

soxfan5

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been having a problem with notifications for Gmail and hangouts being significantly delayed, both before and after the recent ota update. Most times I'll get the notifications right away, but occasionally they'll be delayed by hours. For example, yesterday a friend sent a few messages to me in hangouts around 3:30 pm. I did not receive them until he sent another message at 7:30 this morning. I'm pretty sure I never changed any of the sync settings, and as far as I can tell they are all enabled. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been having a problem with notifications for Gmail and hangouts being significantly delayed, both before and after the recent ota update. Most times I'll get the notifications right away, but occasionally they'll be delayed by hours. For example, yesterday a friend sent a few messages to me in hangouts around 3:30 pm. I did not receive them until he sent another message at 7:30 this morning. I'm pretty sure I never changed any of the sync settings, and as far as I can tell they are all enabled. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have had this issue if one of two conditions occur:

1. I'm actively involved in the conversation using the desktop client (via gmail web interface). I have found that once I've responded to a conversation via the web client, my phone will stop notifying me of new message for a period time. Closing the web browser session *usually* fixes this, but sometimes I need to actually send a message from my phone to the conversation before it starts updating again.

2. If I'm signed into Google Hangouts on more than 1 mobile device. I used to use talk with both my Nexus tablet and S4 phone all time with no issues, but I have found that if I'm signed into Hangouts on both devices, often only 1 device will update with notifications (though sometimes they both will). Same as above, I found that I need to sign out of Hangouts on my tablet then send a message from Hangouts on my phone to get it to start working again.

It's an annoying bug, and hopefully one that gets fixed. For now, I make sure to leave Hangouts signed out on my Nexus tablet, which seems to make the phone client much more reliable (which is most important to me). Not sure if this is what happening to you, but figured I'd share my findings.

soxfan5

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm not signed into gmail or hangouts on any other devices, so I don't think that's the issue.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm not signed into gmail or hangouts on any other devices, so I don't think that's the issue.

Do you have mobile data and/or wifi turned on at all times?

Are you running an task killer apps, like Battery Guru, that may be restricting the sync intervals of apps?

soxfan5

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Mobile data and WiFi are always on, though I do not connect to WiFi at work, just at home. When the messages were sent yesterday I was on mobile data, and I received them this morning at home on WiFi. I do not use any task killer apps.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you fix this issue? I am going to stop manually checking for emails and see if I at least get delayed notifications. My gmail is not showing new emails unless I manually refresh

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem--i wouldn't receive Hangout notifications until i either (1) cleared Hangout app data, or (2) checked the app hours later.
After trying multiple things (wifi on/ nfc off/ 3g only/ 4g only) i finally got it working by doing 2 things. (1) gmail desktop>account details>sign out of all other locations, and (2) disabled sync on my gnex (it hasn't been turned on for a week but was the primary device to receive notifications for some reason as it received Hangout notifications i never got on my S4 for the past 3 hours within minutes of turning it on).

After i did both of those things, I've been getting hangout notifications on my S4 (and email, too) without a problem.

Michal Urban

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the same here ... still bugged even after many months ... :-/

I have had this issue if one of two conditions occur:

1. I'm actively involved in the conversation using the desktop client (via gmail web interface). I have found that once I've responded to a conversation via the web client, my phone will stop notifying me of new message for a period time. Closing the web browser session *usually* fixes this, but sometimes I need to actually send a message from my phone to the conversation before it starts updating again.

2. If I'm signed into Google Hangouts on more than 1 mobile device. I used to use talk with both my Nexus tablet and S4 phone all time with no issues, but I have found that if I'm signed into Hangouts on both devices, often only 1 device will update with notifications (though sometimes they both will). Same as above, I found that I need to sign out of Hangouts on my tablet then send a message from Hangouts on my phone to get it to start working again.

It's an annoying bug, and hopefully one that gets fixed. For now, I make sure to leave Hangouts signed out on my Nexus tablet, which seems to make the phone client much more reliable (which is most important to me). Not sure if this is what happening to you, but figured I'd share my findings.