Very Disappointed in the Durability of my S4 Screen

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've had mine for about a month, but today the screen cracked after hitting a tile floor from about 4-feet up. Unfortunately, the I-Blason case I was using Amazon.com: i-Blason Prime Series Dual Layer Holster Case Kick Stand Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S4 SIV S IV i9500 with Locking Belt Swivel Clip Manufactured by i-Blason (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories failed to protect, nor did the Zagg Invisible Shield HD screen protector. I've had plenty of screens get scraped over the years, but never cracked. For almost two years, my Droid Bionic experienced its fair share of drops, all without a case. The damaged part is towards the bottom, so I'm wondering if this is where the S4 is more prone to cracking? I've seen the abuse test videos, and the S4 can withstand an impressive amount of wear. Guess I just had the misfortune of a bad drop.

Glad I've got the Asurion coverage, but replacing a damaged phone is always a pain. Who else has had to replace their S4 due to extensive screen damage?

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Any phone is subject to damage like this if it lands wrong. You could drop a phone 25 times without damage, and then on the 26th it lands on the corner just right, and puts just enough stress on the screen, and that's all she wrote. And the bigger the screen, I think, the more susceptible it's going to be to stress cracking. It's also true that glass isn't perfect, and one particular screen might crack more easily than another.

I don't know anything about that case, but I think there's only so much you can expect a $13 case to do. Serious protection requires something like the Otterbox, which is both bulkier and a lot more expensive.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Cases | OtterBox

And no screen protector can prevent damage from stress fractures caused by impacts on the sides or corners, and not much protection from impacts directly on the screen. Screen protectors protect against scratches, but for the most part they'll just pass larger impacts through to the glass.

Pick any smartphone with a decent sized screen, go to the forum for it here, and you'll find people who have broken their screens. Sometimes more than once.

AndroidJay

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to say the Otterbox Defender is the best case to get. No need to have other screen protectors since it has one already with that case.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I do not remember reading anywhere on Samsung website, Android Central or any other reliable source that said the S4 is indestructible. Almost any phone if dropped has the capability of breaking, even those in a case.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I do not remember reading anywhere on Samsung website, Android Central or any other reliable source that said the S4 is indestructible. Almost any phone if dropped has the capability of breaking, even those in a case.

There's absolutely no reason to be snarky in your reply. Especially given that the S4 has rapidly become notorious for poor results in drops.

To the OP... I've had to replace the cracked glass cover on S4 devices. Luckily the display itself seems to be durable... The glass covering it not so much. There are many S4 owners shocked at how easily their glass cracked.

If your not faint of heart, you can replace the glass yourself for around 20-USD. It just takes a bit of patience.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It amazes me at how many people put a case on their phone and think it's bullet proof. The screen is glass and will break if hit right.

With that said I have broken mine, it fell down the cushion of the recliner, when I got up to fetch it it was lodged in the rocking mechanism and shattered the screen, even bent the phone. The phone wasn't even a month old. Asurion had me a brand new phone the next day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As others have said, drop a phone just right and damage will happen. That said, IMO, the Otterbox Defender offers some of the best protection I've seen, though its not the
most attractive.

Things happen, no phone is drop-proof which is why I cringe when I see people using their phones with no cases. If you want really good-looking protection consider the Element Eclipse, however, inexpensive, it is
not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
There's absolutely no reason to be snarky in your reply. Especially given that the S4 has rapidly become notorious for poor results in drops.

To the OP... I've had to replace the cracked glass cover on S4 devices. Luckily the display itself seems to be durable... The glass covering it not so much. There are many S4 owners shocked at how easily their glass cracked.

If your not faint of heart, you can replace the glass yourself for around 20-USD. It just takes a bit of patience.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta.

I'm not trying to be "snarky" at all... just trying to throw in some reality into the OP's world. And I'm not exactly sure where you are getting this information about "S4 has rapidly become notorious for poor results in drops"... I find it very interesting everytime someone comes into this forum with comments like this and NO links to any resource... I personally read a LOT of threads and comment on a lot of threads on AC as my history can attest, and I have not read anything or seen any trend in threads saying they have had this issue. Where is your Reliable SOURCE????

AndroidTuttons

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Haven't dropped my s4 yet but my s2 was knock off a coffee table probably a foot to a foot and a half off the ground and the screen cracked landed on wood, all depends how they fall, but I'd say 4 foot fall on to tiles will do it, and one more thing screen protector protects from scratches not cracks

Posted via Android Central App

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
and dont forget, the only people who will post when the phone falls, are those that have had a problem, like it broke, those that had no problem, didnt, or most likely dont, post.

Thanks to that, you can always find things that are negative about anything, but finding the positive is actually very hard.

AndroidJay

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I did drop my phone when trying to pull something out of my pocket. Luckily I was using an Otterbox Defender case and no damage to my phone. So glad I invested in this case.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I love Otterbox defender cases. They are great. They may add bulk and can be expensive but its worth the money and they have amazing customer service. Ballistic cases are good too when they make the Hardcore (HC) cases which for some reason they barely do these days.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
When did I proclaim the S4's indestructibility? The glass and display are shot to hell (otherwise I'd happily replace the glass with a friend that does it), and the replacement can't get here soon enough.

That being said, I'm still quite disappointed with it's durability. For something featuring Gorilla Glass 3, I expect it to hold up to a minor drop. My unprotected Droid Bionic (with the earlier Gorilla Glass) withstood considerable wear, drops, and moisture exposure never skipping a beat with just a few minor scratches. Having witnessed many videos on the S4's abuse tests, I still can't believe the screen cracked from such a minor drop. On the plus side, this gives me the chance of testing the scratch resistance now, and it's quite impressive. If VzW offered the Active Edition, I'd happily buy one.

Never doubt Murphy's Law...

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have got to say that i dropped my phone on vacation 2 weeks ago and is was about a 3-4 foot drop to concreate in a outlet mall and bounced twice. NOTHING happened... so it's not the fact that it dropped. it's the fact of how it landed now I am using the UAG white case. Not a scratch at all

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any phone will break upon dropping on the screen... Just depends on the angel it hits. Some angels... The phones okay.. Others... Busted.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
It's glass. Lots of glass. The Bionic had a bezel (which helps protect the screen) and a smaller screen (a smaller glass area is stronger). Don't blame the phone and don't blame the glass. Blame marketing and the people who love that huge plate of glass with no protection around it. It looks good and makes for a beautiful display. But robust it ain't. There isn't a single glass faced phone in the world that's any better than the S4 in resisting breakage.

There are smaller screened phones available - the best suggestion is to buy a smaller phone and case it.

thewretched2008

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya.

I dropped mine in a Pure Gear Slim Shell case 2 weeks ago from a foot onto a tile floor and the screen shattered. It was bad enough I could feel the glass pieces coming off in my fingers and did infact cause a sliver. I had insurance thankfully and got a new phone within a week for a cool $115. I also decided to buy my first ever otterbox... needless to say I told all my S4 buddies to be careful because i've dropped phones from higher distances and been fine. Our numbers were just up I suppose.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
two weeks with my S4. rocking an Elago case, very very slim form factor. really good grip on this case. however, I know I'm playing with fire. I had my rezound/tbolt for almost two years, and dropped them twice, both times on the carpet. no damage whatsoever. I trust my dexterity, and i do have insurance with verizon and Best Buy, so I figure i'm covered. like another poster above, I don't see how people don't put some sort of case on their phones, or worse yet, don't get the insurance. when I see people with no case, I'm nervous for them.

cindylee60

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a screen protector and a firmer, grippier back cover (the imitation carbon fiber one being sold on eBay...it fits great, adds a bit of heft, and makes the black S4 look beautiful) on mine. That's probably all I'll do. I want protection from scratches, dings and bumps, but's lets face it....a drop onto tile or concrete is likely going to kill it. Which is why I have the best protection....insurance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2