Trying not to ask a stupid question, or one that has been asked 1000 times before, and right off the bat failed both i am sure, but i couldn't find a definitive answer using the search option so thought i would just ask.

I'm getting my s4 in about a week, is the update that allows the apps to be moved to the sd card, the same update that also blocks all current root methods?
    07-27-2013 11:38 AM
    Trying not to ask a stupid question, or one that has been asked 1000 times before, and right off the bat failed both i am sure, but i couldn't find a definitive answer using the search option so thought i would just ask.

I'm getting my s4 in about a week, is the update that allows the apps to be moved to the sd card, the same update that also blocks all current root methods?
    Yes.
    07-27-2013 12:55 PM
    Have there been any workarounds yet? Is there a way to suppress update notifications

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-28-2013 08:48 AM
    or, is there a work around for the update that will allow the moving of apps to the sd card without having to have the update, if you are rooted?
    07-28-2013 10:30 AM
    ok, well an answer to both questions is now out [GUIDE] Root for Verizon Galaxy S4 ***VRUAME7 Build Only!*** - xda-developers
    Bizzle69 likes this.
    07-28-2013 10:39 AM

Yes, though root has been recently achieved on the latest version, "VRUAME7", there is still at this time no way to install a custom recovery (i.e. no way to flash custom ROMs)

Have there been any workarounds yet? Is there a way to suppress update notifications

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    If you are already rooted, the best way to suppress update notifications is to delete or rename the file /system/app/sdm.apk and remove all permissions from it. I believe you can also "freeze" SDM using Titanium backup or a similar app. Not sure if there's anyway to do this if you're not already rooted.

or, is there a work around for the update that will allow the moving of apps to the sd card without having to have the update, if you are rooted?
    Normally yes, if you're already rooted and have custom recovery installed, you could simply flash a pre-rooted version of the update or a custom ROM based off that the latest firmware...but I believe there have been issues getting wifi and other stuff to work correctly, so the best advice for now if you want to stay rooted is to probably just stick with the older firmware.

You can see more details of that by reading through this thread:
    ★ [Rom][I545VRUAME7][4.2.2] Stock Root Odex/Deodex [07/09/13]★ - xda-developers

Getting root is a huge step, but do be aware that there's still no way to get a custom recovery installed on this version (at least not yet), so there's no way to flash custom ROMs.

To me, the ability to move apps to SD simply isn't worth upgrading yet (but then again, I don't have any storage issues either)...I'm holding steady on the original software for now.
    fatboy97 likes this.
    07-29-2013 11:24 AM