Galaxy S4 won't ring

friendlyL

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So I came here seeking an answer to my phone not ringing tried all the suggestions and none worked for me, but I kept tryn different things and this is what worked for me go to settings then scroll down to accessibility then scroll down to hearing aids and select it.....my phones ringing was immediately restored

gmkahuna

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't sure if they enabled it with the last update, I'm on the first 4.1.2 update of cleanrom and it was enabled with the rom.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

It was enabled from day one on mine. Not sure what Tso is doing wrong but it is there and it does work.

Jerry Nicholson

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
My S4 was having the same problem and I was getting really pissed off. I discovered that if you go into Contacts and try adjusting the volume, you'll find that it is all the way down. Turn it up and incoming calls will now ring just fine.

It would appear that there are TWO volume controls. At least on my phone, if I turn the volume down all the way on the home page, it turns this second mystery volume down as well. If I then turn the volume up all the way on the home page it does NOT turn it up for Contacts. I have to actually go into Contacts and adjust the volume from there.

hemansuperman

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be quite a few reasons for ringtones not working. Hopefully the suggestions mentioned here work. This is what worked for me. There seems to be 2 ways to set the ringtone. One is Settings-> My Device(Device)->Sound->Ringtones and another is Settings-> My Device(Device)->Call->Ringtones and Keypad Tones. As silly as it sounds, in my case setting the right ringtone in the second option (Call->Ringtones) seemed to solve the problem.

Mick Wenzel

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but not exactly the same. My Galaxy S4 (on Verizon) "sometimes" does not ring, and other times does. Seems like first call in the morning from certain individuals the phone does not ring (ring tone is on, full blast, no blocking). I get the voicemail message, and when I check my incoming call log, and no call is recorded as incoming. When I check the time of the incoming voicemail and compare it to the call log, it does not show a corresponding incoming call at that time. When I call the person and ask them to call again, the next incoming call from them works fine, rings nice and loud. I just got the phone a couple weeks ago, and returned it for this problem. Tech said it was bad hardware and replaced it. New one is doing the same thing. HELP???
There seems to be two types of problems on this thread.
The one David and Gee5celler are experiencing of the phone sometimes ringing and sometimes not is also my problem.
Hence after trying all the solutions suggested and with optimistic hope that they had fixed the problem, my phone still only rings sometimes and sometimes not. The caller hears the ring tone, but my Galaxy 4 sits there oblivious and unresponsive to what might be a very important incoming call. Has anyone restored their phone from sometimes ringing to always ringing?

Oyml

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue as described above. Calls are made to my phone, but it isn't being received by the phone. No ringing, no missed call alert, nothing. The only notification that I even received a call is my voicemail alert from Google Voice. I just tried it out after having missed a couple of calls from work tonight and the phone was not receiving the calls. I did a PRL update (Settings -> System Update -> Update PRL) and that seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now. I am able to receive the calls I am placing to myself.

May be worth a shot if you are having this issue.

Oyml

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I actually also did a Profile Update at the same time, and maybe that was what did it, but the phone seems to be working today. I haven't missed any calls without a ring. Fingers crossed that that solved my problem.

Edward Riddick

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
No one ever believes me when i tell them this happens just because I ignore phone calls all the time. =( I have to get to work on fixing this so i can hear the phone calls i don't plan on answering. ;)

Moheir Moheir

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0
I've resolved by stopping Priority Call function. I don't know how I've enabled it, but in the icon notification area (top on the right of the screen) a star was displayed. Just click on this icon two times and phone restarted to ring regularly.

Cornish86

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem, went through all options suggested and then did my own exploratory mission and found that I had an option in the drop down menu from the home screen selected that was blocking my ringtones.
I had the "Always Interrupt" key selected to "Priority Only".
Switching it back to "Always Interrupt" solved the problem for me.

Maybe helps someone else.
Good luck.

Madhavan Nambiar

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem this morning and solved it this way:
Went to settings>my device>sounds and notifications>scrolled down to "do not disturb" and found that it was switched to "on". I switched it back and the phone is happily ringing now.
Frankly I have never interfered with this switch before so cannot explain how this happened to begin with. Anyway this has solved my problem. Hope it solves yours too!

balcorman

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine stopped ringing a few days ago, not sure when exactly, but after finding this forum and going through the suggestions I found that my Interrupt setting was, like Cornish86, set to Priority Only and that calls and texts were not ticked as priority - set it back to Always Interrupt and problem solved! Happy days :)

This obviously happened by accident, I certainly did not change that setting intentionally. The only thing I can think of - sometimes I slip the phone into my shirt pocket but have forgotten to lock the screen and I then find that moving around has caused touching to the screen which has jumped to Lord knows where. I think this is what has happened here. Note to self - be more careful!

Thanks Cornish 86!