08-13-2013 10:45 AM
33 12
tools
    I know what you mean regarding the update, for what it's worth, I have not updated either, but I'm also running CleanROM, so that may be part of the reason I don't notice any lag either.
    Good point, thanks.

So, I'm working up to pulling the trigger rooting, unlocking the bootloader, etc...

What guide did you follow, and/or think is best, to replace the ROM on your Verizon S4?

Thank you.
    tclardy likes this.
    08-08-2013 05:10 PM
    I appreciate everyone's feedback.... However other than rooting nothing has worked. Did a factory reset, hard reset, cleared cache, etc...

Is rooting this device hard?

I rooted my DROID DROID x charge way back when but lately didn't feel the need to with my s3 and note 2.

The s4 is making me consider it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    08-08-2013 11:18 PM
    Downloaded the file but it won't let me install it. Goes to the screen and install won't highlight I can only cancel.

Allowed third party installs....? Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-2013 01:53 AM
    To the OP...are you less disappointed? I'm considering switching from an iPhone 4S to the GS4. Always curious to hear feedback.
    08-10-2013 12:51 PM
    This is the best phone I have ever owned personally, and I am a professional tech reviewer for multiple major websites, so I am not easy to please :-)

I am also on my phone for 3 - 4 hours per day, plus I burn it up with texts and at least a couple hours of screen time... and I still get a full day out of the S4 (after fixing the Google Play Services battery drain issue with the manual update that is).

The only problem I have with this phone is the camera truly is unimpressive in less-than-stellar lighting situations. It makes quick photos of my kid difficult or impossible in many scenarios. But it's not the end of the world, as everything else is so positive it would be silly for me to give it up over that.

Dive in, it's far better than an iPhone!
    08-10-2013 06:45 PM
    So, I'm working up to pulling the trigger rooting, unlocking the bootloader, etc...

What guide did you follow, and/or think is best, to replace the ROM on your Verizon S4?
    To answer my own question, I took the plunge to root and ROM my S4. I used the steps on the XDA forum (AC forum seems to have old info in the "sticky").

Running CM10.1, and loving it. Definitely smoother. I'd say 98% (from 90), but still not 100 (not sure anything is). Camera app on CM is weak though (quasi-stock, w/ability to go to sdcard, but slow to start and choppy with HDR). Otherwise noticeable improvement. Note, I'm comparing with the pre-VZ upgrade (DK) experience.
    08-11-2013 12:43 AM
    You are lucky those who got their phones with ME7 or took the OTA are waiting patiently for those with the knowledge and skills to get us around the bootloader, again. I hope they can since I do miss custom ROM's.
    08-11-2013 05:37 PM
    Good point, thanks.

Thank you.
    The guides over at XDA make it pretty easy, but if you're running the latest firmware, you will not at this time be able to install custom ROMs.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android Development - xda-developers

standard boilerplate: I never openly suggest anyone root their phone, at least not without pointing out that there are risks involved, it can void your warranty as it against Verizon's TOS, and most importantly no one on these forums will take responsibility for what you ultimately do to your device.
    08-13-2013 10:45 AM
33 12