This will be my first post, but I have been reading around in the forum for awhile. My current phone the droid charge is at the end of its life. I have waited to make sure that some of the problems in the beginning would get fixed and I would be able to enjoy this phone. Now radio shack and target have s4 16g for $150 I think I will give it a shot. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to come, but have a couple real quick ones, will this phone have the latest update and how do I tell? If not where do I find this update? After update should I factory reset, before I start putting stuff on phone? No plans to root, and I don't really play games, maybe a handful of apps, I just want a phone that will work good for me and able to use Internet, and is better than what I have. Thanks for any help.
    08-08-2013 07:20 PM
    This will be my first post, but I have been reading around in the forum for awhile. My current phone the droid charge is at the end of its life. I have waited to make sure that some of the problems in the beginning would get fixed and I would be able to enjoy this phone. Now radio shack and target have s4 16g for $150 I think I will give it a shot. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to come, but have a couple real quick ones, will this phone have the latest update and how do I tell? If not where do I find this update? After update should I factory reset, before I start putting stuff on phone? No plans to root, and I don't really play games, maybe a handful of apps, I just want a phone that will work good for me and able to use Internet, and is better than what I have. Thanks for any help.
    First of all, welcome to the club.

Shop around and check your Sams Club, if you have one. I scored a new S4 for $99 bucks this past weekend. Someone else posted they saw them in the stores for $127 so maybe that's an option for you.

Depending on how long the store has had your new device will determine if it has the latest update. Mine did not but it was a matter of minutes once the phone was activated before it was asking to do the update. I did not have to do a master reset in order to get the Wi-Fi toggle so you may have to or you may not. Check to see if you have it once your device is updated before doing a master reset.

I will recommend you move the data from your SD Card to your computer, then add the card to the S4 and do a format in the device. Once that's done, you can move your data back. I'm leaning towards the safe side here as some members have reported the S4 not reading the SD Card when they swap it from another device. But on the same token, others have reported zero problems, so this is up to you. And depending of course if you use and SD Card.

Good luck and enjoy the new S4. There are a lot of good people on this forum that will help if you have questions.
    08-08-2013 09:46 PM
    None of the U.S. carrier based S4's have 4.3, the latest version of Android, without rooting. You're going to have enough new stuff to play with on your phone that 4.3 won't be that exciting anyway. Carrier based android phones get over the air updates, so your phone will check periodically, or you can check manually. Just look through the setting menu on your phone and drill down to "check for updates" or "system updates". It's not a big deal at all to check. The phone will reset itself after an update, no need to factory reset. I'm rolling with the HTC One, but you can't go wrong with the S4 if you like it.
    08-08-2013 09:50 PM
    When it was first released reading about some of problems people was having, I started looking at htc one, but when will it be released, and will it have problems to, I don't think like not having a sd card..
    08-08-2013 10:17 PM
    The latest build number ends in ME7. I'd highly recommend doing a factory reset if you have to do an update. If it's before you've even done anything on your phone it will be a relatively painless process and there's no good reason not to do it just to be safe. The WiFi toggle is only one part of the update. Who knows what else might not have been installed right? My S4 has been excellent since the latest update and after a factory reset.
    08-09-2013 10:34 AM
    One key difference between the Charge and S4 is the Charge uses the SD card as primary storage. Not so with the S4. So there will be lots of folders on the card you will no longer need. As another response said, copy everything on to your computer and clear the card. But when reloading it you don't need all the Android work folders. Most likely just music, pictures, documents and videos. There may be a few others. Will be pretty clear as you go through them.
    Good luck. S4 is a great phone. Charge was good for its time. But definitely due for retirement.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
    08-10-2013 03:31 AM
    Wow you are a very brave sole to be running a Droid Charge after such a long period of time. I had that a long time ago and while it was a very nice device it just came with so little storage for apps I question what I was thinking to this day. How did you manage to make it so long with 1.2GB of usable space?
    08-10-2013 12:50 PM
    I would actually like to see Samsung skip over 4.3 and go straight to 5.0 KLP, 4.3 is not a major jump compared to 5.0.
    08-10-2013 12:52 PM
    I have had the charge for over two years now, it was my first smartphone and only one so far, but the charge is at the end of its life. These sd cards, are they good forever or is it good to replace them from the time to time, thinking about 64g sd card class 10 will that work? And class 10, does this have something to do with the speed?
    08-10-2013 05:57 PM
    Got the s4 today for $110 and some change. The phone says it has latest updates , is there a way to find out what update it has , and before I do anything should I still reset phone with it already haveing update? First thing ive noticed is no wifi toggle.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-11-2013 01:31 PM
    Got the s4 today for $110 and some change. The phone says it has latest updates , is there a way to find out what update it has , and before I do anything should I still reset phone with it already haveing update? First thing ive noticed is no wifi toggle.

Settings - More - About phone. Last three characters of baseband version ME7 is current. Maybe it will take a day or two before the system sees it needs an update. They don't update all at once for some reason. No idea how they roll things out. Doubtful a new off the shelf phone already has it though.

08-11-2013 02:02 PM
    Settings - More - About phone. Last three characters of baseband version ME7 is current. Maybe it will take a day or two before the system sees it needs an update. They don't update all at once for some reason. No idea how they roll things out. Doubtful a new off the shelf phone already has it though.

Last three are ME7 in the baseband. Should i reset phone , if so how do I do this?

08-11-2013 02:17 PM
    Last three are ME7 in the baseband. Should i reset phone , if so how do I do this?

Before you do be 100% sure there is no WiFi toggle. The toggles scroll left and right by swiping so it might be off the screen but there at the end. Reset is under accounts - backup and reset.

08-11-2013 02:22 PM
    Before you do be 100% sure there is no WiFi toggle. The toggles scroll left and right by swiping so it might be off the screen but there at the end. Reset is under accounts - backup and reset.

Ok reset and have toggle , so guess I can begin playing with phone. .

08-11-2013 04:14 PM
    Yay! Just be really careful. It has a tendancy to dominate your time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    08-11-2013 04:23 PM