Android/S4 Newbie with questions

dotsgurl

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Didn?t have much luck with help in the general s4 area so I thought I?d ask my fellow VZW folk. Disclaimer? I am an Android newbie coming from an iphone 5 so my questions may be basic but they are driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

Sound settings: Why does the notifications sound trump all other sound settings on the phone? I have a couple of contacts that I have set specific text tones for however those sounds never sound when they text me. Instead I get the default tone that is set in the notifications setting. In addition, I have one contact (texts from twitter) that I want set to silent at all times (no vibrations either) and this setting is unsuccessful as well.

Contact widgets: I have placed two contact widgets on my home screen, however, the widget displays only a fraction of the contact picture and looks terrible. Is there a way that I can resize my widget or contact picture so it looks better and displays the actual picture?

Thanks again! I really have learned a great deal by just reading other threads.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Didn?t have much luck with help in the general s4 area so I thought I?d ask my fellow VZW folk. Disclaimer? I am an Android newbie coming from an iphone 5 so my questions may be basic but they are driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

Sound settings: Why does the notifications sound trump all other sound settings on the phone? I have a couple of contacts that I have set specific text tones for however those sounds never sound when they text me. Instead I get the default tone that is set in the notifications setting. In addition, I have one contact (texts from twitter) that I want set to silent at all times (no vibrations either) and this setting is unsuccessful as well.

Contact widgets: I have placed two contact widgets on my home screen, however, the widget displays only a fraction of the contact picture and looks terrible. Is there a way that I can resize my widget or contact picture so it looks better and displays the actual picture?

Thanks again! I really have learned a great deal by just reading other threads.

I don't use specific contact tones, so I'm not sure I can help there. One thing I will suggest is that if you have the tones stored on the SD card, try copying them over to internal storage and then re-applying the custom tone.

Regarding your second question, one thing I can suggest is trying out an alternate launcher, such as Nova. It's very easy to setup, has a ton of configurable options that the stock launcher doesn't, and it doesn't affect performance in any way (except for possibly improving it). One great feature Nova has (which is why I brought it up), is that you can resize widgets on the home screen, which may give you what you're looking for. You can also increase the grid size of your home screens, allowing you to fit more apps/widgets per page if you so desire. Frankly, I recommend Nova regardless, but it may help with your contacts widget issue.

dotsgurl

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you paintdrinkingpete for your reply. I will look into the Nova launcher. I have read a lot of about it here but have yet to try it out. I will give it a go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca