I boxed my GS4 up tonight and put my phone # back on my crappy old flip phone for now. Ultimately the combination of no bootloader (for the foreseeable future) combined with the Galaxy Note 3 announcement only two weeks away I felt it was just prudent to return it, get my FULL money back and wait.

Rumors are looking good that Samsung has killed off the 16GB version of the GN3 which they had better since the US carriers will jump on 16GB versions and skip the others. So if the base is 32GB then I would be happy with 23+GB of storage plus Apps2SD which I feel Samsung will put on the GN3 as well.

Add to that another rumor (very likeley pie in the sky) that Verizon may just be the first US carrier to get the GN3, again I don't buy into this one at all, but its possible we could actually see it sooner than later so I might as well save my coin.

Sent back my unused Spigen Case, Glas.tR screen protectors and will gladly line up a cheap TPU until the goodies rain down.
    08-20-2013 10:15 PM
    GN3 6 inch screen is a no for me, 5.5 was border line to big imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    08-20-2013 11:21 PM
    I'm curious because I just got mine and I couldn't be happier. What is it about the GS4 that you don't like? I guess you need to root/ROM, but if so, why not just get a Google Play edition if that is all you need? I actually like some (though not all) of Samsung's stuff.

Good luck with your new purchase. Sounds like you made the best decision for you - especially with the GN3 about to ship, as you note ..
    URGE likes this.
    08-21-2013 12:36 AM
    I'm curious too....what didn't you like with yours? I love mine and I had the old note 2 and found it just a little too big for me so a 6 inch screen is just way too big.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-21-2013 10:08 AM
    I'm curious because I just got mine and I couldn't be happier. What is it about the GS4 that you don't like? I guess you need to root/ROM, but if so, why not just get a Google Play edition if that is all you need? I actually like some (though not all) of Samsung's stuff.

Good luck with your new purchase. Sounds like you made the best decision for you - especially with the GN3 about to ship, as you note ..
    I'm curious too....what didn't you like with yours? I love mine and I had the old note 2 and found it just a little too big for me so a 6 inch screen is just way too big.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app
    To many of us "enthusiasts", the locked bootloader really is a deal-breaker, no matter how great the device may be otherwise. I'm just glad I got mine unlocked before the latest update rendered that impossible.

Regarding the Note 3, I agree that it's just too big a device for me to carry around all the time, but I know a lot of folks like them. My other concern would be, however, that the GN3's bootloader will be just as locked down as the GS4, so I'm not sure that solve that problem.

Frankly, I have feeling I'll be going the Nexus route for my next phone...as much as I don't want to leave Verizon's network, I may have to finally pull that trigger.
    Raptor007 likes this.
    08-21-2013 11:02 AM
    Several things pushed me to return it. First there is no Google Play Edition for Verizon Wireles so that is a no go, the Developer Edition is only 16GB, if it was 32GB I would have considered it. The lack of ability to get past the bootloader for me to customize my phone was a huge factor, root works but its not what I wanted.

I had a GN2 before and its a great device size wise and the GN3 seems to be falling into the same physical size but .2" added to the screen so they can do that without jacking the size up. The size for me is more ideal for web, email, video and gaming (of course gaming). The GN3 has the S800 processor, 3GB RAM, 4.3 (makes the jump to 5.0 more likely) and 32GB (rumored to be the base) minimum storage given the blow back Samsung felt from the GS4 16GB launch.

Ultimately I know I will want the GN3 when it launches and I just didn't want to take a financial hit when I sell it off and buy a new phone off contract. Now if the things that are supposed to be happening don't happen I can always evaluate options including the GS4 again, G2, and other phones, We still have 4 months to in 2013 so there are still phones yet to be announced.
    08-22-2013 01:39 PM
    To many of us "enthusiasts", the locked bootloader really is a deal-breaker, no matter how great the device may be otherwise. I'm just glad I got mine unlocked before the latest update rendered that impossible.

Regarding the Note 3, I agree that it's just too big a device for me to carry around all the time, but I know a lot of folks like them. My other concern would be, however, that the GN3's bootloader will be just as locked down as the GS4, so I'm not sure that solve that problem.

Frankly, I have feeling I'll be going the Nexus route for my next phone...as much as I don't want to leave Verizon's network, I may have to finally pull that trigger.
    Sadly I don't see Google ever giving Verizon a Nexus again after the Galaxy Nexus fiasco.
    08-22-2013 01:40 PM