S4 Won't Send SMS/MMS... Sometimes

anon(3792)

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
My S4 fails to send about 50% of my texts. They just don't go through. Whether I'm in high or low signal areas. And there are specific people I cannot send MMS to - it fails as soon as I press the send button. Other people it will send to with no problems. The people it fails on are able to receive MMS from other people with no issues. I'm on Verizon. Failures happen with Handcent as well as stock app. Have tried with wifi on and off. Have rebooted the phone repeatedly. 4G data is turned on. Failure to send texts seems to be random, not just to specific users. I don't expect my texts to fail to send when I have 4 bars of 4G service. It's maddening.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty S4. It also has rebooted itself three times in the last few weeks. When I reboot it, I can't get it to boot back up. It gets stuck at the Verizon logo. I have to turn off, boot into recover, and hit reboot device from there for it to power on correctly. There have been several times when the phone has frozen during the night and I've woken up and the phone is so hot I can't touch it. It's plugged in but not charging. I'm afraid it could explode if I'm asleep and don't notice this happening.

I'm running stock, no root. I've used Buzz Launcher, Nova Launcher, and Apex with the same issues.

I purchased the phone from a Verizon rep on Craigslist. I'm concerned Verizon won't service it since I wasn't the original owner... Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My S4 fails to send about 50% of my texts. They just don't go through. Whether I'm in high or low signal areas. And there are specific people I cannot send MMS to - it fails as soon as I press the send button. Other people it will send to with no problems. The people it fails on are able to receive MMS from other people with no issues. I'm on Verizon. Failures happen with Handcent as well as stock app. Have tried with wifi on and off. Have rebooted the phone repeatedly. 4G data is turned on. Failure to send texts seems to be random, not just to specific users. I don't expect my texts to fail to send when I have 4 bars of 4G service. It's maddening.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty S4. It also has rebooted itself three times in the last few weeks. When I reboot it, I can't get it to boot back up. It gets stuck at the Verizon logo. I have to turn off, boot into recover, and hit reboot device from there for it to power on correctly. There have been several times when the phone has frozen during the night and I've woken up and the phone is so hot I can't touch it. It's plugged in but not charging. I'm afraid it could explode if I'm asleep and don't notice this happening.

I'm running stock, no root. I've used Buzz Launcher, Nova Launcher, and Apex with the same issues.

I purchased the phone from a Verizon rep on Craigslist. I'm concerned Verizon won't service it since I wasn't the original owner... Any suggestions are appreciated.

You should be able to call customer service and they should help you. They will make you reset your APNs and network settings. And other steps that they find necessary.
But this is definitely not normal. Unless verizon is working on the towers in your area???

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Never had any trouble with SMS, however none of my phones will send MMS over WIFI. Trun WIFI off and try again. I'm using GoSMS and Verizon messages.

rlillico

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem with my Verizon GS4. It intermittently will lose all the contacts, and this interferes with the SMS and phone apps as well. It also sometimes hangs on the Verizon splash screen during power up. I have tried a new SIM card from Verizon as well as a replacement phone, and the problem still occurs... Sometimes. Even when the problem occurs, all the other apps and functions are unaffected. I am still looking for a solution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon