Placing this thread topic here as it seems quite a few people are having this problem, and their carrier is Verizon. Seems the problem started after the last update. Verizon, please check this out!

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!
    09-08-2013 09:18 AM
    No issue with mine. Have you tested this with multiple Wifi's or just one? Why do you say this is a problem? Let's hear some details instead of just a very, very short rant.
    09-08-2013 05:51 PM
    Have the same exact issue as OP. Tested on multiple wifis, started happening after the same update.
    09-08-2013 08:52 PM
    I have the latest Verizon update and my S4 has worked flawlessly with my home wifi, the wifi at my father-in-law's, wifi at a hotel, and wifi at places like Starbucks and Panera. More details are essential to help resolve the issue. For example, there's a known issue with the S4 connecting to d'link wireless routers.
    09-09-2013 08:14 AM
    I have a Netgear router. There's not much more information to provide. It just randomly started happening after the update.
    09-09-2013 03:19 PM
    I have a Netgear router. There's not much more information to provide. It just randomly started happening after the update.
    So what exactly is happening - it won't connect it all? You get a connection but it's dropped? Or something else?
    09-09-2013 03:47 PM
    No, I can connect. Let's say I'm at home, and I connect to my wifi. I have it set up to automatically connect whenever in range. I leave for school. Come back home. I check my phone and the wifi isn't connected, even though I've been home for an hour. I click on the noification "tap to turn on wifi", and the second I go to the wifi settings it connects to my home wifi.

I guess it's more that the wifi turns off when out of range, or something.
    09-09-2013 06:00 PM
    No, I can connect. Let's say I'm at home, and I connect to my wifi. I have it set up to automatically connect whenever in range. I leave for school. Come back home. I check my phone and the wifi isn't connected, even though I've been home for an hour. I click on the noification "tap to turn on wifi", and the second I go to the wifi settings it connects to my home wifi.

I guess it's more that the wifi turns off when out of range, or something.
    Do you turn off your Wifi in the notification panel or under the Settings, or are you saying the your device turns it off by itself?

Personally, I always leave my Wifi active all the time.
    09-09-2013 06:06 PM
    Do you turn off your Wifi in the notification panel or under the Settings, or are you saying the your device turns it off by itself?

Personally, I always leave my Wifi active all the time.
    It automatically turns itself off when out of range.
    09-09-2013 06:33 PM
    It automatically turns itself off when out of range.
    What is turning it off when you are out of range??? Mine stays on 24/7 unless I turn it off. I have not seen any settings to turn mine off when it is out of range.
    09-09-2013 06:36 PM
    Wifi itself is turning off. When I get back in range, I have a notifcation that says "wifi is disabled. tap here to turn wifi on"

There is no setting to do this. It's a bug that came with the new update, from what I can tell.
    09-09-2013 06:51 PM
    Wifi itself is turning off. When I get back in range, I have a notifcation that says "wifi is disabled. tap here to turn wifi on"

There is no setting to do this. It's a bug that came with the new update, from what I can tell.
    I guess it must be a bug, or some app you installed.
    09-09-2013 08:13 PM
    I guess it must be a bug, or some app you installed.
    The only app I have installed capable of doing this is tasker. I haven't changed ANY configs when this started happening. Plus I have no tasks that disable wifi, only data.
    09-09-2013 08:26 PM
    The only app I have installed capable of doing this is tasker. I haven't changed ANY configs when this started happening. Plus I have no tasks that disable wifi, only data.
    I hope that is the case... but I have read some things about some battery apps that people download that will do some things with Wifi... I'm not saying you have one of these loaded, but... it seems some people do not read all the comments by the programmers.
    09-10-2013 07:41 AM
    I hope that is the case... but I have read some things about some battery apps that people download that will do some things with Wifi... I'm not saying you have one of these loaded, but... it seems some people do not read all the comments by the programmers.

What the heck, I found the culprit. It was the app Delayed Lock, which disables the lock screen password after putting it in for x minutes. For some reason after the verizon update that app started causing it. Weird.
    09-10-2013 02:19 PM
    What the heck, I found the culprit. It was the app Delayed Lock, which disables the lock screen password after putting it in for x minutes. For some reason after the verizon update that app started causing it. Weird.
    LOL... sorry man... but it's never nice to assume it's not an app. Hopefully others will see this... I really don't believe it's the OS update (I'm sure we can blame it indirectly), but apps are usually a bigger issue than anything the OS update does. Programmer's need to test new updates with their app in a timely manner. I'm sure you have already sent the programmer an email.
    GeekNews likes this.
    09-10-2013 03:16 PM
    I've had the same issue (moto x2). When I swipe down to access control menu it will activate but won't auto switch before that, much of the time.
    09-08-2015 10:06 PM
    I've been having the same issue (though do not have Delayed Lock installed)
    *I'm on wifi at home, at school, cafés---everywhere that I login to wifi
    *I leave one of those places and though the wifi is in the ON position
    *Wifi does NOT auto connect, even when at home, at school, cafés places where I have been/PW is saved.
    *I have to manually go in and touch the Wifi ON only then do I see the local wifi options--even when at home for numerous hours.
    *I have H2O Wireless (Not Verizon), though it shouldn't matter since it's WiFi.
    I don't know what app it could be. Any thoughts?
    10-16-2015 09:44 AM
    I started having problems after updating to the 5,01 Android OS via my Comcast cable connected 1gbps certified Ethernet network routed by a Linksys WRT1900AC. In my case the phone used to auto reconnect to the 5ghz band reliably. Since the update, as I walk in or pull into my garage it reconnects to 2.4 ghz. If I clear the network password on 2.4, it reliably reconnects at 5 but the connection is somehow corrupted. Switching back and forth "fixes" the connection until I go out of range and come back. I currently wonder if the problem gets creasted by the code that sets up a reconnect as opposed to a new connection. The phone takes the time to evaluate the signal of a new connection but when reconnecting assumes it is the same as the last time. I get this from the ststus detail display under netwotk connection for the active connection. Apps like FB fail at the browser interface when following a link when the netwok strength has not been retested the way it is tesred when the settigs app is used to switch to a new netwotk. This problem did not exist before the latest OS upgrade. FIX your code structure developers!

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-27-2015 06:18 PM
    This is a bug being with us for a long time dating back to android version 3.x or more precisely network core or radio driver. Tons of bug reports for android 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4,4, 5.01 and suddenly they disappear with 5.1.1. I don't know why. The bug is more common with older Wifi radios but also new ones got problems. The bug can easily be provoked by turning on and off Wifi radio when it is already connected to an AP. It says it tries to reconnect but nothing happens. If you interrupt reconnect between tries by tapping the AP and choose connect, it will connect. This means you always need to connect manually, but not necessarily re-typing the pw. It doesn't matter what encryption you are using, WEP, WPA, WPA2, private or enterprise, with or without RADIUS server. I've been testing it for all different methods and manual connect is always needed. When I was testing this with RADIUS server and WPA2-enterprise encryption, I could monitor connect activity at RADIUS and I saw no connect activity when Android suggests it is trying.
    05-08-2016 01:33 PM
    How did you find the APP causing the problem? I was assuming Verizon found a money maker by turning WiFi off when I left home, and not turning it back on when I came home. It worked ok until about a month ago. On Verizon with a Note5.
    06-15-2017 02:45 PM