02-20-2016 09:20 PM
71 123
tools
    My question is similar, I would like to know if I bought an iPhone 5 or newer (which is 4G LTE) designed for verizon if it would be going through verizon's network through straight talk. Straight talk does support CDMA phones from both verizon and sprint. I am on straight talk with an iPhone 4s so I have 3G access currently, I just plan on upgrading when I have the cash.

Yup, posting on an android forum about an iPhone xD
    05-02-2014 05:39 PM
    What kind of phone and details please.
    05-03-2014 09:22 AM
    I also have a Verizon samsung galaxy s4 and would like to use it on straight talk using Verizon towers. I have been online searching for information on how to do it and I have not found a solution. I know it can be done because others have noted that it has been done. Please tell me how I can do it or info where to look. Thanks
    05-03-2014 09:36 AM
    Everyone claiming you cannot use a verizon phone on straight talk is wrong it just has to be unlocked i am using verizon s4 on straight talk and works 99.9% the only thing is u have to use a computer to do software updates
    how? I have my gs3 on s/t right now with at&t sim and it sucks because it's Edge service and the at&t towers are bad around here. I bought he cdma phone kit so i can switch my verizon gs3 over to s/t cdma verizon towers, but idk how to switch my phone to that. Please tell me how you put your vzw gs4 on the s/t vzw cdma towers. Thanks
    05-04-2014 10:06 PM
    i live in very remote country... att will not work here... verizon towers will... i am wanting to purchase a verizon galaxy s4 or s4 active.... and use on straight talk.. how can this be done... i luv straight talk but i need verizon with it
    05-15-2014 02:27 AM
    REALLY> how did you get it on ST. did you use the ST website to use it? and are you using the CDMA or GSM functionality...?
    05-25-2014 09:00 PM
    I have the Verizon Galaxy S4 "THE WHITE ONE" I can use ATT and T-Mobile sim, But I cant get 4G LTE. I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU CAN FLASH STRAIGHT TALK TO USE CDMA ON THE GS4. But you still wont be able to get 4G Lte only 3g. It seems that the CDMA band on the verizon phones are network locked. And restricts you from using 4G LTE on any other network. However I have not gotten the chance to use an actual ATT OR T-MOBILE sim from the actual carriers to see if you can get 4g LTE. Look up flashing the Verizon Galaxy S4 to ST on youtube if you are still intrested. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-26-2014 05:11 AM
    Everyone claiming you cannot use a verizon phone on straight talk is wrong it just has to be unlocked i am using verizon s4 on straight talk and works 99.9% the only thing is u have to use a computer to do software updates
    I would be very interested to know the process you used to use your Verizon S4 on Straight Talk BYOP program. Both my wife and I have verizon contract Galaxy S4 phones and would like to switch if possible.
    06-11-2014 09:54 AM
    I m in Ohio Cleveland area. Straight Talk has ONLY 3G. I can't even use a Galax S4 that is for 4G or LTE. You need a phone that is for 3G only for my area. So I had to leave Straight Talk.
    06-20-2014 10:29 PM
    I called my Straight Talk here and they looked up my Galaxy S4 by it's s/n. It was not compatible because it was a 4G LTE phone. In the Ohio, Cleveland area anyway.
    06-20-2014 10:31 PM
    To Coersum: Give your serial number to Straight Talk and see if they are compatible. I called Trac-Phone's #, I think? (from Ohio it"s 1-800-626-4883) who handles Straight Talk and they told me mine wasn't compatible in my area. I called two different times, to be certain.
    06-21-2014 12:01 AM
    I got the LG G2 for Verizon and it was unlocked, so I put a straight talk sim card and it works but its using gsm towers though at&t. But im not getting 4g, do i have to get another straight talk sim card that supports 4g
    06-26-2014 05:38 PM
    Straight talk does have Verizon service. I currently have it.
    07-03-2014 12:51 PM
    I am sorry to hear about your trouble. First of all sprint phones are even worth wiping my a** with let alone talk on, if you can get a signal anywhere. The programming on a phone branded for sprint is completely different than for Verizon phones. Verizon cdma/lte phones use a sim card that can be unlocked to be used on Straight Talk. sprint does not use sim cards what so ever. I would have that sprint phone crushed and thrown away because that is the only good use you will get out of them.
    08-02-2014 09:04 PM
    I just want to give you guys some information from my personal experience.. I am currently using an att branded Galaxy s3 with Straight talk with full 4g lte access. I was given a Verizon branded s4 and a Verizon branded s4 Mini to sell for a friend and I decided to put my att sim in and see what would happen. Both phones displayed that my sim was from an unknown network. However, once I cleared that notification, I made a phone call and it went through. I applied the att APN settings and I was able to get h+ data service on both the s4 and the s4 Mini. So in a Nutshell, you can use the att straight talk sim on the s4 and the s4 Mini flawlessly. However, you'll only receive 3g speeds. No lte. Hope this helps!
    09-06-2014 11:50 AM
    FYI, I am using my VZN branded Galaxy S4 with T-Mobile. Changed the mobile network to Global
    and APN was reset at the T-Mobil store. I am on the Simple Starter plan with 2 Gig of Data for $45.

I am having trouble figuring out how to set my voice mail announcement. The prescribed method not working ???
    09-10-2014 01:30 PM
    I've checked for a COMPREHENSIVE answer to the StraightTalk CDMA vs. GSM phones, and their current Samsung Galaxy SIII, S4 offerings vs. their BYOP plan for quite a while now. Your post was VERY COMPLETE and informative. I had attempted to help a friend get a Verizon Galaxy SIII (4G) working with StraightTalk earlier this year, and was told that the phone wasn't supported. I now understand WHY this was the case, as it makes complete sense that Verizon wouldn't want to congest their 4G towers with a lot of extra phones that are on the low-end of the cost spectrum re: monthly charges.

I currently have a StraightTalk-branded (a.k.a. TracFone) Samsung Galaxy SIII (3G). I am also currently checking on a new phone for my brother, and had suggested going with StraightTalk, and possibly one of the Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G) models for $499 (or possibly the S4 Mini for $349). However I was unable to determine from StraightTalk's website (or from Walmart where it's likely that I'd actually purchase the phone for $449 since ironically it's $50 cheaper than directly from StraightTalk) what carrier(s) were supported by these phones.

After reading your post, it's clear to me that these Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G LTE) phones are GSM-based and most-likely use AT&T as their carrier (or possibly T-Mobile). We live in a relatively-rural area, without a lot of support for AT&T phones. If we lived in a larger metropolitan area such as Minneapolis (which is 90 miles northwest) then the Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G LTE) would be an AWESOME choice!

So for now, I'll just recommend to my brother that he sticks with the StraightTalk-branded Samsung Galaxy SIII (3G) using Verizon's towers. This is my current setup, and has been working well. Seriously who REALLY NEEDS a 5" + screen for a "phone", plus a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor is still fast enough for my needs. I mean, I do have several laptops and tablets available. My biggest "upgrade" so far was to purchase one of the Anker 7200 mA batteries ($33 from Amazon) to increase my "unplugged" time from around 10-16 hours (depending on WiFi / GPS / signal strength, etc.) to around 67+ hours. Now instead of recharging the original 2100 mA battery DAILY, I only charge 2-3 times a week!

I generally don't "Reply" to posts, because they're generally not all that helpful. Your post was an exception - I even needed to create the user account, then click on the registration link, then go back to the webpage and login to reply. THANK YOU AGAIN !!! I GREATLY APPRECIATE THE INFO. THAT YOU PROVIDED !!!
    09-24-2014 12:23 AM
    I have 2 Verizon I phone 4's on Straight talk right now ... I had to call Verizon to set them up .. they work better than most Verizon branded phones around here.. no issues at all..
    09-30-2014 11:29 PM
    Ok so I just got verizon s4 checked to see if it was compatible said yes, when I purchased byop kit $65 tried to register access code and all of a sudden no service in my zip code. I know you guys are using it as gsm with sim what do I put in as an IMEI # as we don't want them to know it's an s4 we are sneaking in the back door per se? Thank you!
    10-09-2014 11:25 AM
    What did you do to get the galaxy s4 from verizon to work on straight talk ive been trying for like five hours and cant figure it out do i need to unlock it? if so how do i? TIA
    10-16-2014 03:02 AM
    I am sorry to hear about your trouble. First of all sprint phones are even worth wiping my a** with let alone talk on, if you can get a signal anywhere. The programming on a phone branded for sprint is completely different than for Verizon phones. Verizon cdma/lte phones use a sim card that can be unlocked to be used on Straight Talk. sprint does not use sim cards what so ever. I would have that sprint phone crushed and thrown away because that is the only good use you will get out of them.
    Do you know how to unlock a Verizon s5 to use on straight talk?
    11-12-2014 12:44 AM
    Yes it will work. I did the same thing with my S3 and S4. Purchase a starter package from Straight Talk that has the SIMs and use the AT&T sim inside (I know, you had Verizon, but trust me). Then update your APN settings from the text that Straight Talk will send you. Its easy
    12-21-2014 06:02 PM
    I set up my S4 using Straight Talk and it was easy. When I set up an S3 two years ago on straight talk, they told me It couldn't be done, but I did it anyway with APN settings I got offline and it worked GREAT. I will say that the S4 was easier tho and works better.
    simple. just use the proper sim card in the straight talk starter packet, and update your APN settings (straight talk will walk you through).
    12-21-2014 06:06 PM
    have Verizon send you the unlock code (or if your phone isn't locked up when you put in the straight talk sim card, you don't need to unlock it - as in, if you can access the screens). Then update your APN settings (instructions online or call straight talk and they will email or text the settings. its pretty easy). Then everything works and its so much cheaper than Verizon.
    12-21-2014 06:08 PM
    certain areas don't support 4G when you bring your own phone, that's just how it is. Unforunately. Your speeds will be pretty close though.
    12-21-2014 06:09 PM
71 123