Verizon Galaxy S4: Can this phone be taken to Straight Talk and still use Verizon towers?

breyn3

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've just started going through some (a lot) of information tonight. I've been researching phones and have decided that this is the one I want to purchase. What I need to know, though, is that if I purchased this phone outright from Verizon and took it to Straight Talk (byop), would it still operate on Verizon's network? I've seen conversations that touch upon this subject, but I haven't been able to find a direct answer. Also - I'm not sure that I understand what 'unlocked' means in the cell phone world. I've never really had a 'great' phone before and after doing some research - I'm thoroughly confused as to what GSM, CDMA, and unlocked may mean. I really appreciate any help you could give me!

Last edited by a moderator:

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can this phone be taken to Straight Talk and still use Verizon Towers?

I don't think you can with Verizon's phones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Unlocked usually refers to gsm phones being able to use any network whose frequencies it supports. I believe most people use gsm phones for straight talk. Verizon uses CDMA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

VZW uses CDMA amd LTE, neither of which are supoorted by the straight talk service. Even if the technologies were compatible the PRL would prevent it from working.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 while driving.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

VZW uses CDMA amd LTE, neither of which are supoorted by the straight talk service. Even if the technologies were compatible the PRL would prevent it from working.

Wrong.
You can. Be careful of the naysayers who like to hear themselves talk. Remember Google is OUR friend.
Get started here:

Galaxy S4 Straight Talk Thread - Page 7 - xda-developers

You may want to consider an AT&T branded device... straight talk now supports 4g LTE with them.. $45? Oh yah... :D
Check here:

Straight Talk 4G LTE

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

+1 to jhill110, I used my Verizon S4 on ATT's network (which is GSM) for three weeks before I switched to a VZW service contract.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just to clarify. The answer to the original post is still no. You cannot use Verizon's towers/network with StraightTalk. You will either use AT&T of T-Mobile network depending on which SIM type you get from StraightTalk. The S4 can recognize and use those GSM carrier towers, but StraightTalk does not use Verizon's network.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site

You can now (supposedly) take your Sprint CDMA phone to Straight Talk under their BYOP(Bring Your Phone) plan. I say supposedly because for one week I have been on the phone trying to get it on the ST system. They don't seem to be able to do it. I was told two business days. I have a Case Number, but when you go to their website and punch in the case number they are "not able to get the status of your case at this time".
Every morning ST calls me, but there is no one there. The number is not blocked on my Call Control app. Forget going into Wal-mart, they didn't even know they could take CDMA phones. I had to educate them.
The thing is ST had no trouble taking my money. They took that real quick. I wonder how much trouble I will have getting my money back. I have determined that Straight Talk is a POS scam, at least insofar as BYOP from Sprint at this time.

CRAUCH

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. I am trying to get my nexus s 4g swiched to ST. There was no problem with my MEID/Serial Number when registering but all i get is a buisy signal when dialing out:-$ money down the drain?

Sent from my work desk top
because my phone won't work:p

mi ow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

This is a blossoming relationship and to the advantage of us guys the Consumer. Just keep working with them it will happen. they too are training their people as the technology progresses.

rocket99

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

CDMA phones from Verizon and Sprint ARE NOT supported on StraightTalk's BYOP plan. You can BUY a CDMA device FROM StraightTalk to use on their Verizon-based network, however, ONLY the 3G phones will function, and therefore, can be purchased. 4G LTE is currently only available on ST with GSM phones from AT&T, and I am not sure but dont think Tmobile 4G phones work yet, BUT....Tmobile is moving from HSPA+ 4G to LTE 4G so eventually a Tmobile 4G device will work on ST. "...T-Mobile began their 4G LTE roll-out in October 2012 (although they had previously been marketing their high-speed 3G network as '4G') and has average 4G LTE download speeds of 14.1Mbps." -http://opensignal.com/. In short, you can ONLY buy a CDMA device from ST to run on their leased Verizon 3G network, much like Verizon's prepaid service. I believe Verizon doesn't want to congest their 4G airspace with prepaid and piggybacking customers such as ST. Your other option if you live in a well supported area for GSM technology and more importantly the companys which use it such as Tmobile and AT&T, is to buy a GSM 4G capable device from ST or BYOP, BUT!!!! BE SURE IF IT IS A TMOBLE DEVICE THAT YOU UNLOCK IT, OR USE AN AT&T DEVICE. Again, Tmobile is transitioning to LTE 4G from their pseudo 4G HSPA+, which is not true 4G, as the speeds prove. ONLY an unlocked GSM device OR an AT&T branded device will get TRUE 4G LTE on ST. Hope I clarified some things and didnt complicate and confuse.

mavent

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

U can use sprint and Tmobile on straighttalk. I used sprints galaxy s2 and tmobiles note 2. U just hv to get them unlocked first

Erinlj31

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Any Verizon phone (even contract phones as I am now using) that DOES NOT operate using network sim cards, can be used on straight talks network. You simply purchase a network access code for $15 and they do the flashing for you. I've personally done this. I'm now in another situation where I have a droid RAZR Maxx and I was going to switch to pageplus BC I was told I cannot flash this to straight talk. PP was such a hassle compared to straight talk so after asking tons of questions have found that I can flash it to straight talk. Still hashing out those details but it has to be reprogrammed for 3g. Then can be done.

Gadawg85

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

Just to clarify. The answer to the original post is still no. You cannot use Verizon's towers/network with StraightTalk. You will either use AT&T of T-Mobile network depending on which SIM type you get from StraightTalk. The S4 can recognize and use those GSM carrier towers, but StraightTalk does not use Verizon's network.

Darryl Lewis

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

Wow, appears all have their own experiences with transferring over to ST...somebody that has actually owned a droid razr and is/was on Verizon, let me know if you were able to use the droid razr with straight talk...is it compatible??? I want to get off Verizon and use my droid razr if possible...thanks in advance..

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

I've just started going through some (a lot) of information tonight. I've been researching phones and have decided that this is the one I want to purchase. What I need to know, though, is that if I purchased this phone outright from Verizon and took it to Straight Talk (byop), would it still operate on Verizon's network? I've seen conversations that touch upon this subject, but I haven't been able to find a direct answer. Also - I'm not sure that I understand what 'unlocked' means in the cell phone world. I've never really had a 'great' phone before and after doing some research - I'm thoroughly confused as to what GSM, CDMA, and unlocked may mean. I really appreciate any help you could give me!

Man oh man, if you were confused before I'll bet your head is spinning now!
These forums are a wonderful resource but sometimes the amount of info and conflicting opinions can be overwhelming.
Wish I could help, but because I have no solid info to contribute I'll leave you to carefully sort trough the posted responses.
Good luck:)

Mark Naysnerski

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I have the moto g phone from Verizon. I called straight talk to see what I had to do to get this moto g phone working with straight talk and was told by a straight talk representative that the moto g phone was in compatible. If anyone has any tips let me know, because Verizon is way to complicated ...which means they over charge on data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harrison Smith

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Everyone claiming you cannot use a verizon phone on straight talk is wrong it just has to be unlocked i am using verizon s4 on straight talk and works 99.9% the only thing is u have to use a computer to do software updates

jvicknpc

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased a new Verizion Samsung Galaxy S3 , which has not been activated. This is a CDMA phone. I went to the Straight Talk BYOP website to see about activating it.( My phone now is on the ST network.) I wanted a more up to date phone, I'm using a Galaxy Proclaim. They asked for the IMEI #, when I entered it they said it wasn't compatible. It seems to me that, if you are using the S4, that I should be able to use my S3. Please help me if you can as I purchased the phone, a 2 year warranty,screen protectors, and 2 cases. Thanks for any help you can provide.