Intermittent Verizon Galaxy S4 problem with lost contacts, phone dialing, and sending/receiving SMS

rlillico

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
SCH-I545
Android 4.2.2
Baseband version I545VRUAME7
Never rooted

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S4, through Verizon, since it first came out. The device was never rooted. It worked fine until a few weeks ago, when it developed a strange cluster of intermittent problems:

1. The contacts, which are synced from a personal Gmail account and a work Exchange account, just vanish on the phone. When the problem occurs, if I run the Contacts app, it displays no contacts at all. If I choose the "Contacts to display" option from the menu, sometimes it displays a blank screen, sometimes it displays "Initializing SIM card," and sometimes it displays "Updating contacts." All the contacts are still intact on the respective servers, as well as on my Nexus 7 tablet. The email and calendar items from these two accounts work normally. Only contacts are affected. Just as suddenly as they disappear, they will spontaneously reappear on the phone.

2. Text messages usually cannot be sent or received when the problem is occurring. I can sometimes send a text by entering the phone number manually, but names cannot be used, since the contacts are not available.

3. I often cannot dial outgoing calls. I can receive incoming calls, but cannot dial out. This seems to be because the Phone app is trying to access the contacts, which are not available.

4. The problem usually is not resolved by power cycling the phone, but often when I try to power cycle it, it hangs on the Verizon splash screen during boot, forcing a battery pull. This often happens 3 or 4 times in a row.

I spent hours on the phone with Samsung tech support. They thought it might be a SIM card issue. They suggested a new SIM card. Verizon gave me a new one. It was fine til the next morning, when the problem recurred.

The next suggestion was that the SIM card reader may be bad. Verizon provided a replacement phone, which worked fine for a few days, then started doing the same thing. The original phone, with no SIM or SD cards installed, also continued to have the problem.

The next suggestion was another factory reset after disabling the automatic app and setting re-installation. I only reinstalled the apps I use most frequently. Again, it was fine for a couple days, then started again. I have tried uninstalling various apps, but inevitably the problem comes back.

At the time the problem began, I had not made any recent configuration or app changes, so nothing jumps out at me as a potential cause.

Except for the problems listed above, all the other apps and functions are fine. However, when this occurs, it really cripples the phone.

Have you heard of a problem like this before, or do you have any suggestions? I found a couple similar threads in the forum but no solutions yet. Thank you for your assistance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sounds pretty messed up. You've already done a lot to try to fix the problem. I would suggest speaking more with Verizon and telling them that the problem persists even with the replacement phone. Ask them for another replacement, or perhaps a different but comparable phone.

Phil Dillard

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem with my phone in the contacts and phone feature are hanging up for no good reason. This seems to me like it might be a software issue from the phone and/or Verizon more than an application. Is there a Samsung / Verizon hotline to call with a service issue? I hate it when they tell me that these are the solutiuons, because the seem only to be stalling tactics as opposed to dealing with a real problem...and/or providing a means to solve the problem.

PDilly0210

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
On my phone, this appears to be a the "Contacts" application getting locked up. I'm looking for a solution. I can dial directly or text to a number, but not when the contacts is not working. Restarting has limited success for this problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my phone, this appears to be a the "Contacts" application getting locked up. I'm looking for a solution. I can dial directly or text to a number, but not when the contacts is not working. Restarting has limited success for this problem.

Welcome to Android Central! Try clearing the cache by going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting "Contacts" or "People" (the name of the app varies with the device), and tapping "Clear Cache."

VTvfr

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. 99% of my contacts are through my work Exchange account.
Funny thing is I upgraded to the S4 after having a similar issue with my Bionic and figured it just couldn't keep up.
Now I've got yet another phone that I can't do anything with for a couple hours throughout the day, and I rely on making calls for a living!!!

Tried clearing the cache, no help.

Any other suggestions???

Software developer

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Install Advanced Task Killer - This will clear the cache on all of your apps ***OR***

a.You can solve it by going to my Settings/More/Application Manager and cleared cache for Downloaded Applications. Some of these applications will have as much as 200MB of information using cache and this will limit the phones processor to display the data.
b. Once you have cleared that data then use your Kies to delete your duplicates from your Google account. I had over 20K contacts of which 70% of those were duplicates caused by switching phones and reloading the Google account.
c. Then restart the phone and all should be good. Some of the downloaded apps will completely over run your phone.

donganz

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Install Advanced Task Killer - This will clear the cache on all of your apps ***OR***

a.You can solve it by going to my Settings/More/Application Manager and cleared cache for Downloaded Applications. Some of these applications will have as much as 200MB of information using cache and this will limit the phones processor to display the data.
b. Once you have cleared that data then use your Kies to delete your duplicates from your Google account. I had over 20K contacts of which 70% of those were duplicates caused by switching phones and reloading the Google account.
c. Then restart the phone and all should be good. Some of the downloaded apps will completely over run your phone.

I removed Facebook contact sync and so far so good

donganz

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Definitely remove Facebook contact sync. Have restarted almost 5 times now and Contacts are aok!

Posted via Android Central App

Rohit Panda

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. In my Samsung S4 there is a wierd thing happening since few weeks. The contacts hang many times during the day.. and then i have to close it and most of the time wait for hours of restart to get it back in action and whenever this is happening only then the phone is getting heated up and battery draining very fast.. almost 1% in 3-5 mins each.. Can some1 help with solution..

thena9ir

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
when I try to view contacts on sim card on my Galaxy s4, it says sim card initialization and it stays on and on.
I have cleared contacts cache in Settings/Applications/All
but still no result. Your help is appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12