Galaxy S4 and 802.11n

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I got a new router and it is a 802.11n and my phone connects up, but I can't get the internet to work on it. It says connected but it won't work. Is there something wrong, can't the GS4 use 802.11n?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, it should work. You might need to play around with the router's security settings. First, turn off all security on the router--you'll have to log into the router's setup page in order to do so, check the manual for instructions. If the phone connects with security turned off, then at least you've isolated the problem, but you shouldn't leave your router unsecured forever. Try adding security back, but use different settings (like WEP instead of WPA or vice-versa). You could also try changing the encryption in WPA from AES to TKIP or vice-versa.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It connects but seems to go out alot like not loading pages. I have messed with the settings and can't seem to get the right ones. Frustrating

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the connection go out a lot even when you turn off the router security completely? Also, are you able to test out any other devices' wifi connections with your new router?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and did you try turning off the router security completely?

Another thought--try installing Wifi Analyzer, and see what other wifi signals there are around you. If there are a whole lot of them using the same channel as your router, then try changing your router's channel. Too many wifi signals on the same channel an cause interference.

Mayhemm

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Any resolution to this problem? I'm curious because I have the same issue with my new LG G2. In my case, it works fine if I set my router to 802.11g mode, but when I put it on 802.11n it will not work.

Like for medic673, the phone successfully connects to my network and the signal strength is excellent (according to the phone) but the internet will not work past the time it takes to load maybe one page. Web-connected apps like Youtube will just time out due to "network errors"

As I said, it will work at 802.11g but that's just side-stepping the issue. The phone is rated for 802.11n, so it should work on it. And the fact that it says it's connected yet still does not work makes me think this is a glitch or incorrect setting rather than an outright compatibility issue.

Ironically (given the title of this thread), I also have a Galaxy S4 which works fine on my network with it set to 802.11n. That's how I know the problem is limited to my G2.

Last edited: