Unlock Verizon Galaxy S4?

eman619

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to unlock a Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy s4?My buddy has an at&t sim card and wants this phone.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlock Verizon gs4

Does anyone know how to unlock a Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy s4?My buddy has an at&t sim card and wants this phone.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Att sim card won't work on a Verizon phone. AT&T uses GSM radios, Verizon uses CDMA. They are incompatible.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Dev Edition Vzw SCH-I545 with KT kernel using Tapatalk 4

Junior623

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

That's not true at all. I'm currently using an at&t sim card on my verizon galaxy 4s

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

That's not true at all. I'm currently using an at&t sim card on my verizon galaxy 4s

News to me. I guess I stand corrected. I apologize. Now if you could enlighten the OP and me as to how you accomplished this? I may want to switch carriers in a couple of months and would be great if I didn't have to get a different phone.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Dev Edition Vzw SCH-I545 with KT kernel using Tapatalk 4

Junior623

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Well, all I did was put in the sim. I then went to settings>connections>more networks>mobile networks and switched the "Network Mode" to "GSM/UMTS". There's a popup after that at which time I picked "Manual" and then it'll search the networks and you'll have your option to choose "AT&T"

Now, there may be a much simplier option and that's just to select "Global" instead of "GSM/UMTS" and the only reason i'm thinking that is because that's what my phone is set on currently. (I know the other info from setting my s3 previously but that's got a few other steps to it also).

AS for the APN settings in order to get internet, just google them... i had my best luck with HSPA+ settings to attain fastest speeds.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Att sim card won't work on a Verizon phone. AT&T uses GSM radios, Verizon uses CDMA. They are incompatible.

All Verizon LTE phones are GSM capable.
Some of the older ones require unlocking.
I think now all are already SIM unlocked and all you need is the correct APN once you set to UMTS/GSM.
As long as CDMA is active and you are in a Verizon area, it won't try UMTS/GSM.

zkqg

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Junior623 is correct. Thanks to his step by step directions I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545), running on Simple Mobile, $40/month. Talk, text, internet works. Still tweaking MMS. Can also use Go SMS Pro (third party app for MMS). 3G speed verified with Speedtest.

madisonjar

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

All Verizon LTE phones are GSM capable.
Some of the older ones require unlocking.
I think now all are already SIM unlocked and all you need is the correct APN once you set to UMTS/GSM.
As long as CDMA is active and you are in a Verizon area, it won't try UMTS/GSM.

this.

caturah

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I recently bought my friends verizon s4 had it unlocked to cricket and now the verizon logo and apps are still running and the internet is not working properly!!! Do you have any idea what's the problem

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

@tech_head
older Verizon LTE devices cant be unlocked via code. its all based on software tweak. Similar to Razr XT912 where 4.0.4 didnt support GSM outside of U.S. or in U.S. but 4.1.2 enabled that feature for overseas. Samsung S3/S4 are GSM enabled out of box where you can install any GSM sim ( in U.S. and outside of U.S.) and it will work (talk and text, web and mms need APN settings)

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I recently bought my friends verizon s4 had it unlocked to cricket and now the verizon logo and apps are still running and the internet is not working properly!!! Do you have any idea what's the problem
switching any cdma device from orignal carrier to another one called flashing where you need to modify CDMA (not GSM) settings such as NAM, EVDO and M.IP profiles. I have S4 on Cricket myself

caturah

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I recently had my Galaxy s4 flashed to Cricket and now my internet is not working. It's coming in and out and when I charge the phone I have not service at all. Ever since I flashed my phone it's been a nightmare. I want to switch to T-Mobile or simple mobile. I'm just concerned if it's really that easy to switch to them.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Should be. Get the correct APN and you should be good to go.
I would ODIN back to the latest Verizon software before doing that though.

uscpte7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that the Verizon S4 is SIM unlocked out of the box? I'm rooted on the latest 4.2.2 firmware and getting ready for an overseas trip. So I can just get a local SIM and good to go. Also, shouldn't the SIM contain info on the APNs?

Jennifer Pauer

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

I have had the same exact issue with my Galaxy s4 and stumbled upon your instructions, and after applying these changes my non working locked verizon phone FINALLY worked with my walmart family share mobile SIM !! that is too cool!! I knew these phones were unlocked which is why I purchased one, but was not willing to pay these crazy high contractual prices, but could not get a straight answer when I wanted to change carriers! Thanks so much! Does this mean though, I will not have internet access, just talk and text? Haven't even tried the phone yet, just performed your unlock and was so excited I had to tell others this worked before I even tried my phone! I will repost with an update when I go through the phone!

hopeful aj

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I want to thank you so much for your post! I have been searching forever and I almost paid 40 bucks in order to unlock my phone. The information about the APN was also very helpful. I have my S4 back now, I don't have to be stuck with a Verizon contract, and I couldn't be happier! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

BBTree

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

VZW unlock if switching sim and apn doesn't work..

Enter Phone Menu..

*#27663368378#
[1]UMTS
[2]DEBUG
[6]PHONE CONTROL
[6]NETWORK LOCK
[3]PERSOSHA256 OFF
MENU > BACK 3 TIMES.. [UMTS MAIN MENU]
[6]COMMON
[6]NV REBUILD

If it says GOLDEN-BACKUP exists..

[4]RESTORE BACK-UP

REBOOT

UNLOCKED.

Usman Mirza1

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Anyone know how to unlock GS4 for Cricket (CDMA) to GSM (AT&T) I want to switch networks because the cricket network in my area is HORRIBLE, however AT&T's 4G LTE is kickass. I've been looking for a solution for the past 3 days regarding this issue. I know that most phones that are CDMA are required to be "Flashed" to another network that's CDMA compatible. Whats interesting is that my GS4 (Cricket) accepts SIM cards or at least it seems like it does, I don't have extensive knowledge on this however I am an IT guy and know my in's and out's.

Any help would be much appreciated!

calemus

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

im currently using vzw i545
none of the above mentioned options function for my phone
i asume this is because verizon has located the data posted and combated it

if anyone knows how i can SIM-unlock, and get to flash pacman rom
i would GREATLY apreciate a tutorial tyvm

Forum statistics

Threads