Hey guys! For the first time since owning my S4 I have a problem with the battery! I'm running stock and just updated to the latest Verizon software...now battery has been sucking and after a day I got into see whats up...I think it's something with the radio...as I havent loaded any new apps or changed any settings. I have less signal everywhere and dont show any green anymore, only yellow...and even some red in places I was at just a week ago and was working fine. Anyone else experiencing the same issues? How should I fix the issue aside from rooting?

Thanks
    10-23-2013 09:33 AM
    Hey guys! For the first time since owning my S4 I have a problem with the battery! I'm running stock and just updated to the latest Verizon software...now battery has been sucking and after a day I got into see whats up...I think it's something with the radio...as I havent loaded any new apps or changed any settings. I have less signal everywhere and dont show any green anymore, only yellow...and even some red in places I was at just a week ago and was working fine. Anyone else experiencing the same issues? How should I fix the issue aside from rooting?

Thanks
    I haven't seen anything to indicate the Verizon firmware update has any effect whatsoever on signal strength or battery usage. I suspect something else is going on. What does Battery in Settings say is using your battery the most?
    10-23-2013 01:17 PM
    Everything is the same as before the update:

android core apps 34%
    screen 16% (I have always had auto brightness on)
    google services 8%
    android os 8%

Another thing that Ive observed which I believe is different is that occasionally the mobile network is black under the battery screen...even when Im clearly connected.
    10-23-2013 01:46 PM
    Believe it or not, black is the color they choose for the highest signal strength. Black is good!

Posted via Android Central App
    10-23-2013 01:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's green.
    10-23-2013 09:54 PM
    im expericing the same thing nothing new exept the new update. pretty bummed
    10-24-2013 05:54 AM
    im expericing the same thing nothing new exept the new update. pretty bummed
    What does Settings - Battery say is using up your battery?
    10-24-2013 08:01 AM
    I've had the opposite since the update.
    10-24-2013 01:42 PM
    I came here looking for answer to same issue. this morning I found my battery to be 10% when it is usually 75%. then all day it was plugged in charging and it was 52% by lunch and 98% by quitting time. it usually charges in about 2 hours max. only thing I did was the Verizon update yesterday.
    10-24-2013 04:10 PM
    I came here looking for answer to same issue. this morning I found my battery to be 10% when it is usually 75%. then all day it was plugged in charging and it was 52% by lunch and 98% by quitting time. it usually charges in about 2 hours max. only thing I did was the Verizon update yesterday.
    It sounds like your battery is going bad. I doubt that has anything to do with the update except coincidence.
    10-25-2013 09:57 AM
    I too am having the same problem. Nothing changed in usage for me. Still listen to music on commute to/from work and normal texting and calls. I would guess battery lasts about 50% prior to update. I have noticed a few on the verizon website having same issue. I dont think it would be a coincidence that the battery is going bad. I noticed this the very day i did the update.
    10-25-2013 08:41 PM
    The screen seems to be using much much more of the battery (according to battery usage under settings).
    10-25-2013 08:43 PM
    on my S3 , a verizon update ruined it and led me to pay to go up to S4 - I am not doing the update based on that experience..
    10-25-2013 10:51 PM
    All I can say is my signal strength actually improved at work from 1x (unusable really) to 4g and from two bars to 4 verizon signal. Maybe a reset is in order. ...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2013 10:26 PM
    This past weekend, I had a small update push through on Verizon. It had an optical reader and other junk and maybe a second update that had some Samsung know security thing. At any rate, I no longer get service in my house and the battery drain is bad now too.

Before the update, I would at least get a few bar of 1x; enough to check emails and send texts and maybe a call (150year old lathe and plaster). Now I get nothing, 1or 2 plain bars some times or the circle/hash " No" symbol.

I had to do a factory reset on the last big update (4.3 I think) over a month ago. I'm still dealing with quadruple contacts and other crap from that. Now this update has made the phone useless for over half of my week day and all weekend!
    11-05-2013 07:15 AM
    I came here today to see if anyone else has noticed much shorter battery life after the recent 4.3 update and I see I'm not alone. I was really impressed with my battery life the last several months. Now, not so much.
    11-05-2013 11:47 AM
    I also have experienced shorter battery life after the update. After playing around I found that is has something to do with 4G. I switched my phone to 3G only today and used it as I always do. Battery life was greatly extended. I am thinking that maybe the new 4G band that they allowed in software update is causing this problem.

I work in an area with 4G coverage but its not the greatest. I think maybe that's why some people are having battery issues and others aren't. I'm just curious if all those experiencing the higher drains if you also live in an area with sometimes spotty 4G, and if not are you working in buildings that sometimes drops 4G coverage?
    11-12-2013 08:38 PM