01-17-2014 07:08 PM
32 12
tools
    I recently got the Verizon update for my Galaxy S4. I noticed a significant plummet in the battery's performance. Before the update, I could probably get somewhere around two days of normal usage. Now with the update, I can't even get a day without using it, when it just sits in my pocket at school. The phone will get hot sometimes and the battery life is bad. I have my phone fully charged before school around 7AM and barely using it all day until 2PM, before the update it would normally be somewhere in the 80s percent-wise, because some rooms don't have service and I leave my phone on all day. Now after updating, it went all the way down to 30 something percent, just being on standby. Right now, the biggest battery usage things are my screen at 36%, then followed by android core apps at 31%. I don't remember seeing that on my battery list thing before at all. Yesterday, it said cell standby was like 46% of it's usage, which is ridiculous. I don't and never have had things like Bluetooth, those smart things and GPS turned on and I always have WiFi off when I leave my house. I highly doubt that this is the battery it self's problem. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Anyone know of any fixes or anything for this? I love my Galaxy mainly because of the great battery life, but now it just sucks that I can't even get a day out of it idling!
    zog1977 likes this.
    10-26-2013 08:58 AM
    Try using airplane mode when you're in an area with weak cell signal and/or when you don't need cell connectivity; see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-26-2013 04:00 PM
    Try a hard reset/factory reset. When I had the update my phone became unbelievably hot and battery died within 5~6 hours of moderate use.

After factory resetting my phone I found wifi-toggle+improved battery life+cooler phone.
    10-26-2013 10:20 PM
    Did a hard reset solve your issue? I have the same problem..
    10-28-2013 12:12 PM
    I don't want to reset my phone.
    10-28-2013 06:03 PM
    Understandable but sometimes you need to toss in the towel and reset to benifit from the updates. I myself did not need to do this this time but needed to with past phones and updates

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2013 09:54 PM
    I have had the same issue. I agree I don't want to reset my phone either. I don't think factory reset is the answer. I have experienced a dramatic loss of battery power by over 50% over the course of a day. I never have any of the extras turned on and it is saying that my display is using 75% of my battery consumption. I cannot find any rogue apps running in the background so I am not sure what it is. No bluetooth or wi-fi on. Help without suggesting a factory reset please.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-01-2013 06:07 AM
    Charging is taking dramatically longer than it did prior to the update! Irregardless of whether the OEM Samsung S4 charger is used or not.

11-01-2013 08:06 AM
    I noticed that Galaxy Charging Current *lite* seems to report a max of 1200 mA since the update; I used to see closer to 1900. Maybe a limit was added for the battery issues I have read about...

As far as a factory reset, I know it's painful, but it really is recommended after any OTA update.

I used Helium free to back up my non rooted phone this time, and was impressed - it backs up the folders and everything from your home screens, as well as app data (read game progress). I did have to re add some custom ring tones, my wallpaper, and a few settings; But it was a lot less painful than what I remember in past resets.

Hope that tip helps some of you.

Posted from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App
    11-01-2013 09:59 AM
    Charging is taking dramatically longer than it did prior to the update! Irregardless of whether the OEM Samsung S4 charger is used or not.

Try re-booting (regular restart, NOT a factory reset) the phone before charging and see if that makes a difference. After the 4.3 update I had the problem of a mobile charger in my car not working, same as several other people reported. I re-booted the phone and it charged fine after that.
    11-01-2013 01:01 PM
    It's not a charging problem. My phone charges fine it is a battery drain problem that is definitely more significant than before the 4.3 update.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-01-2013 01:14 PM
    I am having the same problem. Not dramatic, but definitely worse batter life than before the update.
    11-01-2013 01:42 PM
    But if the firmware is capping the max charging amperage, then the same apps using the same power may just be more than the new cap can compensate for...

Posted from my KFHD via Android Central App
    11-01-2013 01:45 PM
    How can I check the max charging amperage? I can't seem to locate that. But even if that was an issue with the new update, wouldn't that affect everyone's battery equally? Beside's that would have nothing to do with the battery once it's off charge, only how long it took too charge.
    11-01-2013 01:49 PM
    I do agree everyone would see the decreased battery life, but that just points me back to the factory reset...

You see it over and over on AC forums for different phones on different carriers; after an update some users have issues, and they keep saying "no" to a factory reset... then as a last resort they give in, and often can't believe it fixed their issue.

That's not to say it will fix your issue, but it just might.

Sent from my SCH-i545
    11-01-2013 04:39 PM
    Android bombed their 4.3 update, I didn't have to factory reset after the 4.2.2 update. Now I can't charge my s4 unless I reboot? Awful.
    11-07-2013 08:57 PM
    After running 4.3 for a week I decided to do a Factory Reset and things are much better.
    11-08-2013 07:59 AM
    Added a lot of extra applications during update. **Majority of these cannot be removed but are now on the phone which most of them appear to be running in the background. Other problems with Internet force closing also
    11-13-2013 11:36 PM
    After the update, there was a lot of add on applications in the update. Stupid things that I don't think should have been attached to the firmware update. Internet constantly stops working. Check play store apps to see what else has been added to your phone. ** Majority cannot be removed!
    11-13-2013 11:41 PM
    Android bombed their 4.3 update, I didn't have to factory reset after the 4.2.2 update. Now I can't charge my s4 unless I reboot? Awful.
    I had to do one after the bigger firmware update from July. I didn't even have the WiFi toggle that was supposed to be added until I did a factory reset.

I'd do one after every big OTA update. It's good practice to learn how to back up your phone, anyway, and it's much less of a headache to do it when you're doing it in a controlled manor rather than trying to figure out what to do if your phone is broken or stolen.
    11-14-2013 04:11 PM
    Well I did the hard reset and spent the last 2-1/2 hours redoing my phone. Somehow I didn't backup my bookmarks, but everything else made it. What a PITA. I hope this solves the battery issue. I've noticed since 4.3 my phone has been hot and is drained by 3pm. It used to get to 10pm and still have 30%
    11-15-2013 08:32 PM
    Like wdsloot2 and Jeffery McCauley, I was experiencing the same severe battery drain issue and did not want to factory reset. But I finally succumbed and it worked. Battery drain issue is gone. I'd say that battery life is actually better than before the Verizon 4.3 Update.

The details... After update, battery life would plummet from 100% to 10% by mid-afternoon. Interestingly, the phone was mostly just sitting idle with the screen off. And was cold to the touch. I found that the minimal setting that could preserve battery was to disable Mobile data. I had a theory that the battery level was actually just fine, but that the software was misinterpreting the battery level. I came around to thinking that maybe the Factory Reset would allow the software to recalibrate battery levels and such. (Just a theory. I am an embedded software engineer, though not an Android OS developer.)

So, I finally did the Factory Reset and all is fine now. One note is that it will indeed delete all of your photos and music. So copy those off to your desktop computer and restore them later. Also, I'd recommend taking photos of your screens so that you can remember how you had your apps arranged. Aside from that the restore is pretty painless since Google Play automatically downloaded all of the apps that I had downloaded. And all of my contacts are on Gmail.
    11-16-2013 10:44 AM
    24 hours after the reset and all is well. Prior to reset, "Android OS" was the largest consumer of power, 5x as much as anything else. Now the largest power user is the screen, which is what it used to be.
    11-16-2013 09:35 PM
    I did a factory reset several weeks ago after updating to 4.3. No battery problems until the last 5 days. I have made no changes to anything, but now, even sitting idle, my battery is gone in 12 hours. And even just making a few short calls drains the battery. I've searched for a fix, and have found nothing but "factory reset" (which has been done).
    Since I am far from being an expert, I need a guru to tell me what to do next to resolve this extreme battery drain. I don't want to make matters worse by doing something unnecessarily.
    Thanks
    11-20-2013 06:43 AM
    There must be an APP doing something funky, I get equal or better since the update, does the power section tell you what is using up the battery? if not, a reset and downloading only the apps you need may be your best bet.
    STSVA likes this.
    11-20-2013 05:38 PM
32 12