Replaced VZW S4 Digitizer & Screen, Now Having Issues With 4G Connection and Phone Freezing

dmeloche1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my VZW Galaxy S4 (stock, unrooted, running 4.2.2), cracking the screen and damaging the digitizer. I ordered a replacement digitizer/screen and installed it and everything went fine. However I'm now dealing with a number of odd issues with my phone that were not there before installing the new parts a week ago:

• 4G doesn't work. I never had any issues getting 4G before replacing the digitizer but now it will only connect using 3G. I've used both the Global and LTE/CDMA network modes and it doesn't help.
  • The phone will randomly freeze up and require a battery pull to fix it. This only occurs when I'm actually using the phone and there's no pattern to what causes it. It can be using the internet, multiple apps, going through the pic gallery, etc. It happens 8-12 times a day, though that frequency is directly based on how much I'm using my phone in a given day. Whenever this happens, the phone will get very hot in the SD and SIM slot area.
  • The camera only works intermittently. About half the time I open the camera app, the app's HUD appears but it's just a black screen behind it, as if the camera is not seeing anything. When this happens, nothing happens for 30 seconds at which point a 'Camera Failed' dialogue box pops up and I click OK and try again.
  • Other actions on the phone seem slower or laggier than before but perhaps this is psychosomatic.

I pulled the back off of the phone again to confirm that everything looks correct and make sure all of the connections are secure but everything looked fine. I have no idea what to do next. The digitizer I bought is for VZW S4s and came from an Amazon seller with good reviews and none of the reviews mention an issue like mine. Does anyone have any suggestions or info on this issue? I searched online for similar issues but I haven't been able to find anything like this.

Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I wouldn't think the digitizer would cause all these other problems to happen. Not saying it isn't possible but I'm thinking more along the lines of having some sort of motherboard issue with all the problems you experiencing.

dmeloche1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I agree that a digitizer wouldn't generate these issues but I'm suspecting that some portion of the new digitizer installation (either my transferred components or the digitizer assembly i received) has created this problem. If I could figure out what damaged component(s) would create the issues I'm having, I would start there. I hope it's not a motherboard, as that's a very expensive fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463