Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - Official Android 4.3 is here!!!!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.3 is here!!!!

I am an unlimited data Verizon user and I'm considering getting the S4 because of free wireless tethering ability with Foxfi (or others) without root. I know it works cause I tested it on a demo model at a retail location. Any Verizon users out there that updated to 4.3 having difficulties with Foxfi or PDAnet+ wireless thether? Also 16 GB or for $50 more get the 32 GB? I'm not a big gamer, but do play a few. Thanks!
$50 isn't much for more than double the storage. 16GB only gives you around 10GB so the 32GB would have around 25/26GB :)

Last edited:

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Loving the new Verizon 4.3 update! However, I haven't seen a lot of talk on the forums about one of the most important changes in 4.3: TRIM support! What this means is that Android 4.3 can now instruct the flash storage controller when to collect / recycle unused data pages / blocks. The net result is that devices running 4.3 will no longer become sluggish over time.

Mitchell Ramos

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Well Im glad Verizon got it first cuz all iv been reading is how much problem people have been having with the new update. Hopfully when AT&T gets it.. It mite be ok.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Update:
Music App problem has appeared to clear up after a battery pull.

Not for me. The Samsung hub app is the music app on my lock screen and I don't even use it. Battery pull, and reboots and it still happens. Not sure why.

Posted via Android Central App

Awaxhall

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Restarted phone this morning and I have traveled into the future. One hour exactly. This is an awesome feature for the update.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

lol.. One time there a 1st with updates and you go this far? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ok? pls tell me you're just trolling?

- - - Updated - - -

That's going way too far. LOL

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Verizon is the best carrier. I don't base my mobile phone experience on update schedules! I get blazing 4g LTE service almost everywhere I go. Best carrier I've been with and I had them all!

John Walsh1

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

I am rooted on my Verizon S4 and I keep getting an error about 25% of the way through the update process. Anybody have any advice ??

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

All I get is "Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later"

Have you tried using the VERIZON update manager? That's the pc software that's built into the phone and pops up when you tether your phone to your lap top or pc.

Awaxhall

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Update went well but I hate the new voice in S-Voice. I also can't seem to find where to set my hands free to turn on when my phone pairs with my car.

The new voice ... it is used by Google Maps, right? If so, it is changed there as well. Sounds less human now.

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried using the VERIZON update manager? That's the pc software that's built into the phone and pops up when you tether your phone to your lap top or pc.

Just did and it said Software is up to date on my phone.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Not really a bug per say. When I open an app from a folder after I close that app and come back to the home screen that folder is still open. Is there a setting to fix this somewhere?

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Not for me. The Samsung hub app is the music app on my lock screen and I don't even use it. Battery pull, and reboots and it still happens. Not sure why.

So I tried to go into settings and change my lockscreen widget apps and it's grayed out! But it is turned on because that's what I had set prior to the update. Anyone know how to change this??

screenshot S4.jpg

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Does Tethering still work if you have unlimited data? I can just hit "home" and it will still tether after the nag screen pops up - just making sure this is still the case before I upgrade to 4.3.

Many thanks!
what tethering app do you use are you rooted?

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I just updated and everything appeared to go ok. I am not rooted, but do use Nova Launcher Pro.

A few observations:

1) My settings icon on the main screen is not a gear anymore, but an Android icon. When I click on it I get a App Not Installed error. Settings from the pulldown still works, though.
Thanks!

I saw that on mine as well (with Nova Launcher Pro). I just deleted it and replaced with the original Gear settings icon.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

what tethering app do you use are you rooted?
I am not rooted and have been using "Fast WiFi Tether - Free" and it's worked great on my S4 running 4.2.2.
I've heard 4.3 breaks the ability to hit the home button after the nag screen and still be in hotspot mode. Before I upgrade I was hoping some kind soul could verify this for me or not.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Loving the new Verizon 4.3 update! However, I haven't seen a lot of talk on the forums about one of the most important changes in 4.3: TRIM support! What this means is that Android 4.3 can now instruct the flash storage controller when to collect / recycle unused data pages / blocks. The net result is that devices running 4.3 will no longer become sluggish over time.

does that need to be enabled or is it automatic

AndroidGuy22

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

So I tried to go into settings and change my lockscreen widget apps and it's grayed out! But it is turned on because that's what I had set prior to the update. Anyone know how to change this??

I have found that if you use swipe setting for screen lock and have Multiple Widgets selected, that option will no longer be greyed out and you can select either favorite apps or camera to be displayed on your lock screen. Hope this helps:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta