Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - Official Android 4.3 is here!!!!

Awaxhall

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.3 is here!!!!

I have found that if you use swipe setting for screen lock and have Multiple Widgets selected, that option will no longer be greyed out and you can select either favorite apps or camera to be displayed on your lock screen. Hope this helps:)

yep. is you secure your lock screen you lose widgets. Hilarious. Samsung is the only manufacturer to do this and eliminates one of the features of the iphone I liked.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I am not rooted and have been using "Fast WiFi Tether - Free" and it's worked great on my S4 running 4.2.2.
I've heard 4.3 breaks the ability to hit the home button after the nag screen and still be in hotspot mode. Before I upgrade I was hoping some kind soul could verify this for me or not.
i updated to 4.3 this morning just downloaded fast wifi trying it now will let you know

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I am not rooted and have been using "Fast WiFi Tether - Free" and it's worked great on my S4 running 4.2.2.
I've heard 4.3 breaks the ability to hit the home button after the nag screen and still be in hotspot mode. Before I upgrade I was hoping some kind soul could verify this for me or not.

no dice keeps spinning then get the subscribe thing click home but no icon on top tried it several times hit the stay insecure not the pro still nothing

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Just did and it said Software is up to date on my phone.

Stupid question... does the phone have a SIM card in it? If not, that will sometimes prevent the phone from seeing the update.

Also, A last resort can be to restore the phone to factory settings. And then try updating.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

Not really a bug per say. When I open an app from a folder after I close that app and come back to the home screen that folder is still open. Is there a setting to fix this somewhere?

Posted via Android Central App

I would like to know as well... this is annoying. Definitely wasn't happening prior to the update.

gotRoot

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The new voice ... it is used by Google Maps, right? If so, it is changed there as well. Sounds less human now.

I also noticed this too. When I went into the TTS settings, the voice was changed from Google's to the Samsung basic one. You'll have an option to download the HQ version of the Samsung voice which is actually pretty nice. However, it mispronounces street names a little more than Google's so I switched it back to Google's voice.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Anyone use the apps Juice Defender or Smart Taskbar? Since the update I have these issues with these 2 apps:

My Smart Taskbar is showing an icon in my notification bar/panel as ongoing. I don't want or need the icon there. Any way to remove it? With juice defender the icons legend is no longer showing correctly. For example, before the update, I would disable 4G and use only WIFI and a blue dot would appear on the shield in the corner of it on the JD shield icon in my notification bar/panel letting me know that some of the radios were disabled. Or if I disabled both 4G and WIFI, a red dot would appear on the shield letting me know all radios were disabled. Now doing the same thing (disabling 4G or disabling both 4G and WIFI) there is no dot that comes up. The only thing showing is the shield and according to the legend all radios are enabled even though thats not the case. Any ideas from anyone who uses these apps? Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Awaxhall

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I also noticed this too. When I went into the TTS settings, the voice was changed from Google's to the Samsung basic one. You'll have an option to download the HQ version of the Samsung voice which is actually pretty nice. However, it mispronounces street names a little more than Google's so I switched it back to Google's voice.

Awesome.

SETTINGS/MY DEVICE/ACCESSIBILITY/TEXT-TO-SPEECH OPTIONS then select Google Text-to-speech Engine

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

no dice keeps spinning then get the subscribe thing click home but no icon on top tried it several times hit the stay insecure not the pro still nothing
Thanks so much for doing that! From the other thread I understand you're using FoxFi paid version. Is the only downside to FoxFi having to enable the lockscreen? I understand there's a way to disable lockscreen AFTER you have FoxFi working. Have you tried this - or are you using lockscreen because you want it and not just because of FoxFi? Thanks again - really appreciate your help!

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much for doing that! From the other thread I understand you're using FoxFi paid version. Is the only downside to FoxFi having to enable the lockscreen? I understand there's a way to disable lockscreen AFTER you have FoxFi working. Have you tried this - or are you using lockscreen because you want it and not just because of FoxFi? Thanks again - really appreciate your help!
no i tried the one you recomneded lol fast wifi tether free

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Oh yea - I understand you tried the one I currently use and I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I was just asking for your thoughts on FoxFi as it appears I'll have to switch to that if I want 4.3 and the ability to tether with unlimited data.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Not really a bug per say. When I open an app from a folder after I close that app and come back to the home screen that folder is still open. Is there a setting to fix this somewhere?

FYI.... I did a factory reset, and it still does it.

SevereDeceit

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I used Juice Defender on my previous Androids, but I have no need for it on the Galaxy S4. I just toggle mobile data off/on as needed, same as Wi-Fi. Not only that, but my battery life is great.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh yea - I understand you tried the one I currently use and I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I was just asking for your thoughts on FoxFi as it appears I'll have to switch to that if I want 4.3 and the ability to tether with unlimited data.

ok got ya no i treid that one time the free version a wile back seemed to work fine just didnt want to have to lock my phone just a pita to have to unlock it ever time lol and if you loose your phone no one can call you on it so that kinda sucks too but on the other hand people can access your crap if you loose it so...

Fengshuistein

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

Long time lurker, first time poster... :cool:

I installed the Verizon 4.3 update yesterday, and here are some things I noticed (and I apologize if any of these are old news):

My Settings "gear icon" vanished from where I had it - I didn't immediately find it in the App Drawer, but I did see a Settings Widget (was this always there?). Moving it to a home page, brought up a list of settings icons (Battery, Data Usage, Application Manager, etc), and I could then add those individual icons to my home page, giving quick access to those settings, instead of hunting through the settings tabs. Kinda cool...

Also, the Application Manager setting now has a "Turned Off" section to it, all the way to the right, showing any apps you've disabled.

Wi-Fi toggle - huzzah!! And I got it without having to do a factory reset! You can now clear that pesky Wi-Fi notification , but as others have pointed out, a power cycling and/or toggling of the Wi-Fi setting brings it back. It's getting somewhat closer to being totally gone, LOL!

The always-there E911 icon seems to have vanished from the status bar at the top.

S-Voice has a new voice, much less Siri-like, and way more robotic sounding... I preferred the old voice.... :(

For those with multiple Home pages, you're probably familiar with the "menu button / edit page" function, that allows you to arrange & edit your Home pages. I found out accidentally, that swiping down with two fingers - not from the top (like you'd do for the toggle menu), but maybe 1/2 inch or so below the top bezel, duplicates that same function. Again, this might be an old function, but it was new to me.

Bugs - as mentioned previously, when opening an app from a folder, upon closing that app, you're brought back to the open folder instead of the page that the folder is on. That requires an extra tap (home or return button, or an empty spot on the screen). Quite annoying.

Also, I use the Ripple Effect for swiping open the phone (lame, I know, but I prefer it to the other choices), and mine is now very glitchy & choppy, instead of the smooth fade I was used to (the Light Effect, though, seems to work fine for some reason). I *sorta* fixed it, by changing the Window Animation Scale (Developer Options) to 1.5 from the default 1.0. Still bothers me, though.

Anyhoo, that's what I've found so far. Sure wish I could get rid of that "open folder" issue - it's driving me crazy.

Thanks,

-Phil

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

does that need to be enabled or is it automatic

The TRIM function is automatic.

CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS IN ANDROID 4.3 UPDATE
- OpenGL 3.0 Support
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display color reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much fewer launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimizes display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz