11-14-2015 09:19 AM
49 12
tools
    This problem happened to my boyfriend's S4 and we currently can't find ANY way to charge his phone. He had his phone at 100% before he installed the 4.3 update and now it won't register any chargers. It's at 15% right now and if it turns off, I don't see that there will be any way to get it charged again. None of our chargers will charge his phone and when he connects it to the computer through the USB cord, the computer don't recognize the device. We took the phone to the Verizon store and their chargers don't charge it either. His screen is cracked, so they his warranty won't cover this problem. Is there any way to revert back to the previous update on his phone? Because his phone had no problems before he installed 4.3.
    bltserv and wally9778 like this.
    11-07-2013 05:00 PM
    I joined the forums so I could add to the thread: My s4 also will not charge unless I reboot. You've got to be kidding me Verizon/Samsung this is a FATAL problem. I assumed they test these things before deployment. I also initially disliked what you did with my texting though I eventually found a way to fix that.... The updated icons look nice.
    Edit: I am using the charger that came with the phone.

It also cuts off my texts if they go too long? Seriously?
    11-07-2013 09:45 PM
    I'm having the same issue. My phone upgraded to 4.3 a few days ago and today is the first day I noticed that my phone wasn't charging when plugged in to either the wall or car chargers. When I reboot, then it shows the charging icon. Is anyone aware of a fix or do we have to wait for a bug fix to be put in place? Strange that only a certain number of people are experiencing it.
    11-09-2013 06:30 PM
    Same here, S4 from Sprint. I got the update a couple of days ago and noticed today when driving that the Motorola fast car charger (round, blue LED) that had always worked flawlessly is now intermittent. It works fine if I reboot, but if I unplug and plug it back in, it won't charge.

There does not seem to be an issue of I use the stock charger that came with the phone, but I use the Google Maps Navigation extensively and it's going to be a real pain to have to keep rebooting the phone just to keep it charged. Here's hoping for a rapid update.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-11-2013 03:43 PM
    This is definitely a problem after the update. My 2 amp car charger requires several attempts before the S4 recognizes it and begins to charge. Never once did it not recognize it on the first attempt prior to the 4.3 update.
    UPDATE -- a couple of days after my original post (11-2-13) I did a second factory reset for reasons unrelated to the charging problem. Since then my car charger has been 100 percent effective. There's no question that something was wrong but my car charger hasn't failed to charge my phone since the second reset (probably 40+ attempts). Not saying the problem is solved .... only saying I haven't seen it after the second FDR.

Galaxy Note 3 incoming tomorrow. I've greatly enjoyed using the S4 for the past four months. Easily the best smartphone I've owned.
    11-11-2013 07:09 PM
    Seems like a bunch are having the issue. There is a thread on the Verizon forums where a Verizon agent was trying to help at first. Others should post there so they MIGHT look into it.
    https://community.verizonwireless.co...013605#1013605
    I too can not charge my phone with a car charger after the update. My phone will not connect to any computer after the update unless its in the mood. After sitting on the phone with Verizon 3x today and Samsung requesting me to go without my phone for 15 days while they "test it" the final solution was for Verizon to send me the second replacement phone in 3 days and "don't update". Thanks this is what I pay an astronomically high phone bill each month without unlimited data for! Thanks Verizon!!!! I am using the Xentris Wireless MICRDUAL-VPC-F car charger purchased at Verizon.
    11-11-2013 08:44 PM
    My phone hasn't been charging in the car since the update...this explains it.
    11-12-2013 07:29 PM
    There's a massive thread on this on the Verizon user forums: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/808920. At one point a Verizon rep actually says that they can't be sure that anything but Samsung branded chargers are currently working to charge the S4 after the 4.3 update. Yet others (including me) have reported no problems with charging, using a variety of chargers. As with other problems in this severely under-tested update, there seems to be considerable randomness about what works and what doesn't. Interesting to see here that it happens on a Sprint phone as well.
    11-12-2013 09:58 PM
    I can say this isn't limited to Verizon or car chargers.

Since upgrading to 4.3 (ATT) I'm having all kinds of charging issues. I started seeing this in my car and tried three different charging methods. Also, I'm seeing this in my house on all but ONE charging cable. This is bizarre.
    11-16-2013 11:19 AM
    Mine works when you check and uncheck (or uncheck and check) "show battery percentage" in settings -> battery.
    11-18-2013 03:35 PM
    I just bought this phone and I'm using the car charger that came with it. Same problem here. If this doesn't get fixed real quick I'm taking this phone back and getting and iPhone! Stupid Samsung!
    Ryne Hutcheson likes this.
    11-19-2013 01:32 PM
    After I updated to 4.3 I have to restart my phone for the car charger to work. My wall charger some times works and sometimes doesn't. I have Samsung chargers
    11-19-2013 10:25 PM
    11-20-2013 06:15 AM
    I am having the same issue. So I turned the phone off and then it started to make a hissing noise then smoke. I unplugged it and the cable was on fire. So I googled it and there have been other phones (s4) that have caught fire. I am on with Samsung support now to see how to get a new phone.
    11-20-2013 10:37 PM
    I've been having the same issue on my GS4 on Sprint since the update. It won't charge in the car using my non-Samsung car charger. It registers the charger for a split second as the battery icon shows the lightning bolt very quickly and then it disappears.

The work arounds I have found a (until a fix hopefully) are as follows:

1) restarting the phone with it plugged into the charger

2) plug the charger into the phone before plugging it into the socket

3) this one is weird, but if I have the charger plugged into the socket, and I SLOWLY plug the micro usb into the phone, it works. I emphasize slowly. I don't understand why it works, but it does.

Hopefully this helps others who were tired of restarting their phone every time they needed to charge it like I was.
    11-21-2013 02:46 PM
    Reboot into Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache Partition

Galaxy Nexus i9250 (Bought from Google Play)
    Android 4.3

My Nexus started having charging issues on Nov 8th. It would not charge when the battery level was low, below 13%. Charging quickly became worse and would not charge unless I turned off the phone. I have 5 different charging cables: USB to Micro USB,mismatched 110V A/C to 5V DC USB adapters, and car adapters. Charging from the 110VAC adapter, laptop, or car charger all had the same problems. All of these worked fine before the recent charging issues.

I stumbled upon this fix, and it worked for me. I hope it works for you.

1. If your phone is on, power it off.
    2. Press and hold Volume Down,Volume Up, and then press and hold Power simultaneously until the device turns on. You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark. ("Google", was displayed first on my phone)
    5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
    6. Press Volume Down to scroll to "wipe cache partition"
    7. Press the Power button to select, and wait while the cache is wiped.
    8. "reboot system now" should be selected, Press Power to reboot.
    11-21-2013 04:19 PM
    Reboot into Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache Partition

Galaxy Nexus i9250 (Bought from Google Play)
    Android 4.3

My Nexus started having charging issues on Nov 8th. It would not charge when the battery level was low, below 13%. Charging quickly became worse and would not charge unless I turned off the phone. I have 5 different charging cables: USB to Micro USB,mismatched 110V A/C to 5V DC USB adapters, and car adapters. Charging from the 110VAC adapter, laptop, or car charger all had the same problems. All of these worked fine before the recent charging issues.

I stumbled upon this fix, and it worked for me. I hope it works for you.

1. If your phone is on, power it off.
    2. Press and hold Volume Down,Volume Up, and then press and hold Power simultaneously until the device turns on. You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark. ("Google", was displayed first on my phone)
    5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
    6. Press Volume Down to scroll to "wipe cache partition"
    7. Press the Power button to select, and wait while the cache is wiped.
    8. "reboot system now" should be selected, Press Power to reboot.
    Thanks for posting this, as it is a good procedure to know. It did not fix my charging problem, though. My Motorola car charger does not work unless I reboot the phone with the charger plugged in, but my travel wall/car charger does, so I at least have that as an option until this gets fixed.

11-24-2013 11:26 AM
    Just saw this tonight, might be related.

http://www.android.gs/sprint-samsung...Android+Geeks)

12-03-2013 09:53 PM
    so this is becoming a minor annoyance. I've had the update for about a month, give or take. just yesterday, my car charger NOW no longer works. every other charger i have does. so now, I wonder if my phone will eventually stop charging with the "other chargers??? this is so jacked...luckily, most of the other issues haven't affected mine. yet.
    12-09-2013 02:21 PM
    I finally got the MK2 update two days ago, and the charging issues have been fixed. Sprint Galaxy S4.

12-11-2013 05:59 PM
    got a new update last night that alledgedly would fix the car charger issue. plugged into the car charger this morning....and it STILL doesn't charge. so maybe i have a bad car charger??? mabye. I can charge any and everywhere else, with multiple chargers.
    12-12-2013 08:15 AM
    Same problem with my phone after 4.3 update.
    01-02-2014 06:52 AM
    As it states.. Updated today and it won't charge unless I restart my phone.. Anyone else with this issue? I can't see the charge icon.. Please confirm. It's a huge issue if it's on on all phones.
    I have the same issue on a note 3. It will only show the icon, (and possibly only charge) if I have just reset the phone.
    06-23-2014 01:37 PM
    I have the exact problem as everyone on this thread except my phone was completely drained of its battery. This meant that the factory reset option was not viable -- not that I wanted to reset the device anyway!

I used the following instructions and it proved to be effective immediately. Give it a go and let me know if it worked for you!!

1.You need to do is shut down your device,
    2.Remove the battery (if possible) and use something small, like a toothpick, to 'lever up' the little tab inside the USB port on your Galaxy Note 4.
    3.Do so very carefully and gently, then reinsert your battery (if you had to remove) and plug it in again. Nine times out of 10 this is all that is required.
    11-14-2015 09:19 AM
49 12