Verizon Galaxy S4: Whenever I click on Phone icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"

jerryshurt

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Whenever I click on Phone icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"

I thought that this was a crazy solution, but it worked!
Thanks

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Tried the cleared cache and nada. Ugh.

Try resetting app preferences. Settings, Apps, tap the 3 dots, reset preferences.

If that doesn't work try resetting date and time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Donna Roddick

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Resetting the clock worked for me... my replys are not in order. This was my exact issue. I did the full on reset to factory and reload with Verizon and the issue returned the next day. It started after an update a long time ago and I waited to get it fixed. It was annoying, but I dealt with it by putting numbers I needed to call into contacts. I finally called them way back in November and, after an hour, they wanted to reset the phone but I wanted to transfer stuff onto the computer first, which I procrastinated on. Well, I had a huge wake up call when I was trying to get my daughter, who has severe seizure disorder, to the ER and I could not call 9-1-1! Apparently, you can't put 9-1-1 into your contacts! A nightmare. That prompted me to get off the ball and call Verizon. It took over an hour to trouble shoot and reset the phone, only to have the issue right back the next day. This time I called right away and, while I was on the phone with the Tech, I googled the problem and found this forum. I read the clock issue fix to the tech and then I did it. IT WORKED!! I told her to put it in whatever trouble shooting algorithm they use because I'm not the only one with this problem. Samsung should know about it, too! My brother in law and son have the same phone (and they have had it longer) so it's a mystery why only certain phones are affected. Still working today, too. Also, many of my Samsung apps that came with the phone, like "story album" and S memo and many others never worked. I would, for example, write a memo and click save and it would say "unfortunately S memo has stopped".... Guess what? They all work now and some of them are pretty cool! I got my phone back in July and had actually removed the non working apps and widgets because they did not work. When I reset the phone, they all came back onto the phone and they were not working until I reset the clock. This is so great because I really like the phone!!! Many MANY thanks and I'm so glad I used the search term "unfortunately contacts has stopped" with google to find you!

Last edited:

Donna Roddick

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

ME TOOO!!! All my samsung apps never worked, but the dialer did not crash until a few weeks after having the phone. This worked like a charm.

MichelleA075

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Verizon tried many things and nothing worked. I stopped short of the factory reset and decided to check the forums first. So glad I did.

Digital_reality

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Setting the time from 24 hour to 12 hour fixed it! I wish I had known this before as this is the second S4 in 4 weeks with the same error of "contacts has stopped" etc....

biskeeee

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

This worked for me! I don't get why, but it worked. :D Thank you so much, my phone has been ticking me off for a week...

cartonhead1970

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

Try this and see if that helps: go to phone settings-->More, then select Date and Time. Change the date format to something else then change it back to the format you wanted. Save and go back. That's how I fixed my crashes on Phone and Story Album

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks this worked for me, even after I sceptically sent it for 'repair'. It came back exactly the same. What I can't understand is why don't the call centres and Samsung know about this?

Posted via Android Central App

shahzadali

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I have also some problume but my mobile S3 (Whenever I click on Phone or Massage or Contact icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts/massage has stopped) it happend yesterday when i upgrad version android 4.3.

please help me

JELLIS25

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

I am having same issue. I have tried the date trick. It helps for a few minutes but basically I hit the phone app and the entire phone locks up.

I have tried every single thing including full factory reset. Any other ideas gents?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I am having same issue. I have tried the date trick. It helps for a few minutes but basically I hit the phone app and the entire phone locks up.

I have tried every single thing including full factory reset. Any other ideas gents?

Try resetting app preferences? Settings, Apps, All, tap menu button, Reset Preferences. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Melissa Jo2

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

THANK YOU! I have a Galaxy Lite. This has happened since day one. I figured that is what you get for getting the stupid slow phone. LOL. It is fine now. Thank you. How do things like this "just happen"? Thanks again. My phone thanks you too. It is being swore at a lot less

Cindy Lewis

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S4: Whenever I click on Phone icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"

Thank you so much! Changing the time format worked!

niksilver

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S2: Whenever I click on Phone icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"

The above solutions sadly didn't work for me on my Galaxy S2, but for the record what did work was decrypting my encrypted device.

(This was more difficult than it should have been, probably because I'd done odd things protecting the device in the first place under one device administrator, then leaving that administrator with the device still secured. I had to first delete the Device Policy app. Then I needed to create a more secure password. And only then would my device allow me to decrypt it.)

This process took about half an hour. When the phone came back some of the contacts were slightly messed up, but nothing terrible - just some links had got unlinked.

I may be speaking too soon - it's been fine for about 30 minutes only. But previously errors would pop up within seconds of booting up the phone: Contacts has stopped, Calendar has stopped, Picassa has stopped. Not now. Fingers crossed it stays stable.

Hope this helps someone else.

Janine Gliener

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S4: Whenever I click on Phone icon I get "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"

I saw the suggestion to clear cache and clear data .... i.e., LOSE all of my contact data, in order to stop this problem?

It IS a problem, as I am unable to delete outdated contact numbers & emails, & end up with a lot of false info in my contacts. very irritating!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084