How to get weather on lockscreen

rigatoni1374

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I can't seem to figure this out.

I'm trying to get weather on my lock screen.
I can only get time, date, and alarm.
Is this possible without having to download an app?

Much appreciation..

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm not so certain. You can add all kinds of shortcuts to the lock screen, but widgets with live information such as weather is another story. To add shortcuts, go to Settings > My device > Lock screen. Then you have some choices.

1. Turn on Shortcuts, then tap there to customize the shortcuts that appear on the main lock screen panel. You can have up to 5 shortcuts. But these are shortcuts, not widgets: they don't show live information. Instead, you tap and hold one and swipe left or right to open its app. Handy for getting at something quickly, e.g., phone, messaging, camera; but no live info.
  2. In the Lock screen settings, check Multiple widgets to turn on this feature, then tap Lock screen widgets. Turn on Favorite apps or camera, and then tap it to be sure Favorite apps is selected. (There's a bunch of other stuff you can customize under Lock screen widgets too.) To get to these Favorite apps, when you unlock the phone, touch the top part of the screen and swipe to the left. This gets you to another panel where the shortcuts to these apps are. To customize them, tap the pencil icon in the bottom right. You can delete any that you don't want and add in others of your choosing, up to a total of 12. Tap the check mark when you're done. But again, and despite the term "Lock screen widgets," these are shortcuts to full apps, not widgets with live info.
The only way I've found to add actual live-info widgets to the lock screen is, when I unlock the phone, to touch the top part of the screen and swipe to the right. That displays a panel with a blank rectangle and a great big + sign. Tap the + sign, and you get a list of widgets you can add. These are real widgets with live information, but the best one I can find for weather is Google Now, which doesn't do you any good if you're not on Google Now. Neither the Accuweather app that comes on the phone nor the Weather Channel app that I downloaded, apparently, has a widget for the lockscreen (though a couple of other apps I downloaded do).

BTW, you can actually have as many as 6 lock screen panels. Look closely at the bottom of any lock screen panel but the main one (i.e., swipe the top of the main one left or right), and you'll see a little menu with a "home" icon for the main panel and some little bars for the others. Whenever you add a new widget (each widget gets its own panel), another blank panel is added to the left, up to the maximum of 6.

So, there you are. That's my experience anyway. If others have been able to add a weather-info widget to the lock screen, I'd love to know about it. I should add that what I'm describing is what I see on my lock screen, which I have not set up to use a PIN, face recognition, or anything but a swipe.

rigatoni1374

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
My apologies.

With out widgets or shortcuts.
I would like to get weather along with time and date on the lock screen alone.

Thank you for your replies.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My apologies.

Any live information you have on a lock or home screen will come from a widget. Even clocks and alarm information are widgets.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My apologies.

You should try Dashclock from the Play Store. It technically is a "widget," but it replaces the lock screen with the info you want without standing out as a widget.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rigatoni1374

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you coolbreeze, for pointing my in the right direction.
I guess the only way is to download an app.
It is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited: