Having Trouble with my 64gb memory card...

thebabilonias

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok Im going to try to make this as descriptive as possible. I got this 64gb sd card, I believe its a generic brand for Christmas. I started draggin files to my S4; movies, music, etc and some files work and some dont. The movie files are avi type and the music files are mp3 type. Please help Im so frustrated to why this crap is happening.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of possible reasons:

1. It could be a faulty or counterfeit card (especially if it's a generic brand, as you say). What happens when you plug the card into your computer? Does it say that it has 64 GB capacity? By the way, always make sure to Unmount the card before removing it from your phone. You can Unmount in the Settings>Storage menu.

2. I'm not sure if the S4 supports AVI natively--maybe someone else can comment on this. If it doesn't, you'd need a 3rd party player like MX Player.

3. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about difficulties with external SD cards in Samsung devices, so ultimately, this might be the problem. Android itself actually doesn't have native support for external SD cards--the code that's used is a workaround. Sometimes that workaround doesn't work too well.

thebabilonias

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
When I use the adapter and plug it in the computer nothing happens. What is the best sd card brand I should get?
There are a number of possible reasons:

1. It could be a faulty or counterfeit card (especially if it's a generic brand, as you say). What happens when you plug the card into your computer? Does it say that it has 64 GB capacity? By the way, always make sure to Unmount the card before removing it from your phone. You can Unmount in the Settings>Storage menu.

2. I'm not sure if the S4 supports AVI natively--maybe someone else can comment on this. If it doesn't, you'd need a 3rd party player like MX Player.

3. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about difficulties with external SD cards in Samsung devices, so ultimately, this might be the problem. Android itself actually doesn't have native support for external SD cards--the code that's used is a workaround. Sometimes that workaround doesn't work too well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's not good. Sometimes, card readers can be a little finicky. Make sure it's inserted all the way--some computers have an LED light that goes on when the card is inserted properly and is reading. Also, try inserting another SD card--one that you know works--into the computer's card reader, to make sure it isn't the reader that's acting up.

Good SD card brands include (but are not limited to) Sandisk, Toshiba, PNY, Patriot, and Transcend.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Kingston is another good brand, and the format of the SD card may be interfering.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good point. Many 64GB microSD cards come pre-formatted in exFAT format, which isn't compatible with many if not all Android devices. Ideally, you'd want to reformat it to FAT32. Phones will usually offer to reformat a card if it recognizes that the card is incompatible, but it sounds like yours hasn't done so. I don't think Windows 7 or 8 allow you to format SD cards in FAT32 any more. Here's a link where the topic is discussed: [HOW TO / GUIDE] Format Micro SD FAT32 (Windows) - VERIZON - xda-developers

thebabilonias

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes when I put in the adapter card a green light came on but nothing happened. I saw Samsung had its own brand of sd cards, would that be ok to use?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, Samsung brand cards are also good. If you want to be as sure as you can be about how legit they are, it's best to purchase them from an actual bricks-and-mortar store in the original packaging. The problem with buying SD cards from eBay or a 3rd party seller on Amazon is that they often arrive in a plain brown wrapper, which to me tends to raise questions about how real the cards are.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check your battery stats to see if Media Scanner is working overtime. Whenever you insert an SD card, the Media Scanner scans it to look for photos, music, or videos to populate the Gallery. Sometimes, if a file or part of the card is corrupt, the Media Scanner might get stuck scanning that part of the card, thereby using up more battery.

talos2

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Check your battery stats to see if Media Scanner is working overtime. Whenever you insert an SD card, the Media Scanner scans it to look for photos, music, or videos to populate the Gallery. Sometimes, if a file or part of the card is corrupt, the Media Scanner might get stuck scanning that part of the card, thereby using up more battery.

Correct, media scanner is working flat out when the card is installed. I tried re formatting the card with the same result, so the card must be faulty. I have now put a card from my Koboreader to try and it is now on charge, so we shall see. Thanks for putting me on the right track I shall report back on the results.:)

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The S4 is known not to like using 64GB cards. There are many documented instances where the cards are corrupted in short time (weeks) and destroyed. Some can be fixed with various programs but some are just dead. It happens infrequently with 32GB cards. Sandisk had a know batch of faulty 64GB cards out there and their might be some still floating around. The standard recommendation is to not use a 64GB card in the S4.

thebabilonias

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for all your help it's been real helpful. Real dumb question what is a bricks and mortar store to get the sd cards?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for all your help it's been real helpful. Real dumb question what is a bricks and mortar store to get the sd cards?

Posted via Android Central App

Physical store like Best buy, Walmart, target, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

talos2

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE
Fitted new card a PNY class10 16gb from Currys , and battery now lasts in excess of 3 days. My thanks to B DIDDY for his invaluable help:)

thebabilonias

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok quick update to this thread, I just recently picked up a samsung brand 64gb sd card and I formatted it first before putting files on it. I was told by someone that you NEVER format sd cards or they become useless. If so is there any way to "restore" this sd card? Because Im having the same issue I had with the generic brand card. Please help guys....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08