Switching from Droid X2 to samsung galaxy S4 without upgrade grandfathered unlimited 3g help?

vandalchemist

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I am very confused about if this will work or not any help you guys could give would be much appreciated. I am currently on an almost 3 year old Droid X2 that is near death. I want to buy a used Samsung Galaxy S4 off contract so that I can keep my unlimited plan from before verizon switched to 4g(I upgraded to the droid X2 the day it came out). However I have read some things that all 4G phones on verizon use a sim card. Will I still be able to use the 3G network without a sim card? Any other recommendations? Thanks for any help you can give.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
You won't be able to use the phone without a SIM card. I've been buying phones full price so I can keep my unlimited plan. If the X2 is 4G you won't have a problem just going in and getting a new SIM card for your new S4. I've switched from thunderbolt to bionic to droid maxx to rezound to S3 and now the S4. Got a new SIM card each time.I've kept my 29.99 unlimited plan each time. As long as you don't sign up for a new contract or get a phone from Verizon at a discounted price you'll be fine.

sent from Cletus the almighty S4

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I am very confused about if this will work or not any help you guys could give would be much appreciated. I am currently on an almost 3 year old Droid X2 that is near death. I want to buy a used Samsung Galaxy S4 off contract so that I can keep my unlimited plan from before verizon switched to 4g(I upgraded to the droid X2 the day it came out). However I have read some things that all 4G phones on verizon use a sim card. Will I still be able to use the 3G network without a sim card? Any other recommendations? Thanks for any help you can give.

Not sure since you don't have 4G now, as this may take a different plan. I switched some time back from an old Droid X to a Moto MAXX and was given the 4G and unlimited data grandfathered at that time so now it is just a matter of switching phones on my plan and keeping my unlimited data. It is going to be very iffy to keep unlimited data and switching from 3G to 4G. You might ask this question down in the Verizon Forum on down below as you might get a better answer than in this Forum. Good Luck hope you get to keep your unlimited data.

Robnrbrtsn

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I did the same switch when the S4 was released. (Anyone want a cheap Droid X2?) I paid full price and stretched it over 12 months in order to keep unlimited data. You have to do it in a Verizon store, though, because the side shops (at least last May) couldn't do the payment part.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Just walk in with the GS4 and the old phone.
Tell them you want the GS4 on your line.
They will give you a SIM and activate the phone.
No hassles.
Just did it on an old line that needed a new phone.

Robnrbrtsn

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're not buying a refurbished S4 from Verizon directly, make sure whatever you buy is the Verizon version and not rooted, or a demo phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz