Verizon Galaxy S4: Can't get Odin to work

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been trying to flash different things with Odin but for some reason it nevers shows it connected in a Yellow bow (in the ID:COM box). It is always light blue. Any tips on what is going on with my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't get Odin to work

I have been trying to flash different things with Odin but for some reason it nevers shows it connected in a Yellow bow (in the ID:COM box). It is always light blue. Any tips on what is going on with my phone.

Welcome to Android Central :)
Only some versions of Odin show the box as yellow. Blue light is in versions like v3.07 or 3.09

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Ahhh, ok. That would explain. Now I have to figure out why I keep getting a fail when trying to flash anything....

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Ahhh, ok. That would explain. Now I have to figure out why I keep getting a fail when trying to flash anything....

What are you trying to flash? Only works with certain things

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

I am just trying to flash anything..LOL. I have rooted, have superuser graned, but cant figure out what everyone uses to flash a ROM. I ave tried using odin... Cna't figure out how to get a recovery to flash or work. Just looking for any help...
Everytime I try to flash something, all it does is reboot the phone into the "download" screen (what shows when you need to use Odin), and just sits there doing nothing.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I am just trying to flash anything..LOL. I have rooted, have superuser graned, but cant figure out what everyone uses to flash a ROM. I ave tried using odin... Cna't figure out how to get a recovery to flash or work. Just looking for any help...
Everytime I try to flash something, all it does is reboot the phone into the "download" screen (what shows when you need to use Odin), and just sits there doing nothing.

You don't flash ROMs in Odin. You have to flash a custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) in Odin. Then you download a ROM and flash it in the new recovery

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

LOL. OK. So now when tryinh to flash TWRP and/or CWM, it still shows fail. It starts, and acts like it is working, then FAIL!! LOL

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

LOL. OK. So now when tryinh to flash TWRP and/or CWM, it still shows fail. It starts, and acts like it is working, then FAIL!! LOL

Try a different version of Odin. If not, try a different cable

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Do you by any chance have a link or the downloadable file for one of the recoveries? I think it is the files that I have, 2 different cable tried, 3 different ODINs tried as well

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

I have tried that one. UNLESS I am doing something wrong, when I go to flash, all it does when I select which file to use is I select it, it does something, reboot and sticks on the downloading screen. Sorry I'm being a pain, just trying to figure it out...
It just hangs at
"downloading...
Do not turn off target."
at the top it says
"Could not do a normal boot
ODIN MODE
Product name: SCH-I545
Current Ninary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Knox Kernal Lock: 8x8
Know Warranty Void: 8x8
Csb-config-lsb:8x38
write protection :enable
eMMC Burst Mode: enabled

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I have tried that one. UNLESS I am doing something wrong, when I go to flash, all it does when I select which file to use is I select it, it does something, reboot and sticks on the downloading screen. Sorry I'm being a pain, just trying to figure it out...

You should be in download mode, then opening Odin as administrator. Then click PDA or AP depending on the version. Find the file and hit start. Is that how you're doing it?

allenw88

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I don't know what to do...LOL. I have installed everything the way it is described (downloading GooManger, installing recovery through it, show it downloaded and installed, rebooted into recov, and it goes right back to the downloading screen). So I think that I am through, not sure where or what to do now.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I don't know what to do...LOL. I have installed everything the way it is described (downloading GooManger, installing recovery through it, show it downloaded and installed, rebooted into recov, and it goes right back to the downloading screen). So I think that I am through, not sure where or what to do now.

So you boot into recovery mode (volume up/home/power) and it reboots and goes into download mode? :eek: Not sure why that's happening. At a loss here as well

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try downloading the file again. Different cables and USB ports. Don't use USB hubs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Jake Munyak

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

The Verizon galaxy s4 has an unlockable bootloader. On android 4.2.2 they had hacks for it but in 4.3 it was relocked . currently on 4.3 or later you can only use safestrap recovery to flash Roms and other things and the Roms just be safestrap compatible and most aren't.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon galaxy s4 has an unlockable bootloader. On android 4.2.2 they had hacks for it but in 4.3 it was relocked . currently on 4.3 or later you can only use safestrap recovery to flash Roms and other things and the Roms just be safestrap compatible and most aren't.

He's not trying to flash ROMs :p
Odin isn't used for that

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
OP never said what firmware he is on.
If he is not on MDK then he can't do anything except Safestrap. no LOKI exploit.
From his post, he has a KNOX flag, which means he is on a 4.3 variant and he can't use TWRP.
He will need to use Safestrap and only TW variants with an unmodified kernel will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs