07-18-2015 10:34 AM
139 12345 ...
tools
    "Overall, it turns out not to be a huge issue." Well, it's kind of a big issue for me because I do more than just copy music files to my external SD card. I have a Galaxy S4 and I have a number of apps that are set to store data to my external card. The apps themselves still work...except that they can't write to the card. Now I could bypass the KitKat read only issue by changing the storage location on those programs to internal storage, but doesn't that bypass the whole reason for having an SD card? I got the card for bulk storage of video and music files, loading the majority of my apps on it (especially those large android games) and storing data backups so that in case my phone was inoperable, I could just transfer the card to a new phone, reinstall the app and reload the data. It's not really a help if my data is stored on the internal storage of my phone if it has bricked.

For manually transferring files, I use ES File Explorer. It and its associated apps all work as before...except it won't write to the external SD card. I can't even create new files/folders manually thru the app. I tried using the File Manager app you linked to. It's not as good as ES File Explorer. With that app, I could create a directory, but I couldn't remove the directory that I had just created. I could do both with the native Android file manager (which makes sense as it was one of the apps upgraded to KitKat) but it's nowwhere near as good a file manager as the other 2.

This problem seems to go across the board for 3rd party apps. As such, I see it as a huge screwup by Google. I can't believe they didn't test the new OS with with 3rd party apps to see if there were any issues before releasing the update. This is more of a giant bug than an update. Hopefully, Google will be putting out an OS 4.4.3 update to fix this issue soon.

BTW, has anyone tried reformatting the SD card to see if the OS will allow writing to a card it has formatted?
    sanjay acharya likes this.
    07-01-2014 02:19 PM
    "Overall, it turns out not to be a huge issue." Well, it's kind of a big issue for me because I do more than just copy music files to my external SD card. I have a Galaxy S4 and I have a number of apps that are set to store data to my external card. The apps themselves still work...except that they can't write to the card. Now I could bypass the KitKat read only issue by changing the storage location on those programs to internal storage, but doesn't that bypass the whole reason for having an SD card? I got the card for bulk storage of video and music files, loading the majority of my apps on it (especially those large android games) and storing data backups so that in case my phone was inoperable, I could just transfer the card to a new phone, reinstall the app and reload the data. It's not really a help if my data is stored on the internal storage of my phone if it has bricked.

For manually transferring files, I use ES File Explorer. It and its associated apps all work as before...except it won't write to the external SD card. I can't even create new files/folders manually thru the app. I tried using the File Manager app you linked to. It's not as good as ES File Explorer. With that app, I could create a directory, but I couldn't remove the directory that I had just created. I could do both with the native Android file manager (which makes sense as it was one of the apps upgraded to KitKat) but it's nowwhere near as good a file manager as the other 2.

This problem seems to go across the board for 3rd party apps. As such, I see it as a huge screwup by Google. I can't believe they didn't test the new OS with with 3rd party apps to see if there were any issues before releasing the update. This is more of a giant bug than an update. Hopefully, Google will be putting out an OS 4.4.3 update to fix this issue soon.

BTW, has anyone tried reformatting the SD card to see if the OS will allow writing to a card it has formatted?
    You might want to read this and the comments.

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
    monsieurms likes this.
    07-01-2014 07:15 PM
    Assume you saw Bluzman's link and understand now, but if not---this is not a bug, but a supposed security feature. Apps won't work the same way under KitKard with cards. Reformatting won't help. Check out the link, if you haven't.
    07-08-2014 06:14 AM
    tips for moving files from internal storage to sd card-
    1-first move all the files which u want to move to sd card in to the download folder of internal storage
    2-now go to setting
    3-open storage
    4-go to phone memory and click on make more space
    5-click on browser and select files which u want to move to sd card
    enjoyyyyy
    07-09-2014 02:10 AM
    My phone has none of those functions. When I go into storage, there is no phone memory
    07-09-2014 08:28 AM
    I can see why they are doing it. Nobody wants phones to have 128 GB of storage that can be transported everywhere. Apple hates it - cuts into iPhone sales. Tablet makers hate it - nobody needs to buy a tablet if they have 128, 256 GBs of storage on a phone. Laptop makers hate it - and desktop makers hate it for the same reason. Most of those fancy SSDs only have 256 GBs of space anyway.

Phones are getting too powerful. People know how to use them to their advantage. The industry hates "power users" and wants to keep you "in check" using KNOX, Lumen Toolbar, and other junk they put on stock.
    chshrkt likes this.
    07-09-2014 09:05 AM
    And then lock the phone down so hard you can't even root it. It's not their phone after they sell it to you. Let us do with it what we want.
    07-09-2014 09:18 AM
    tips for moving files from internal storage to sd card-
    1-first move all the files which u want to move to sd card in to the download folder of internal storage
    2-now go to setting
    3-open storage
    4-go to phone memory and click on make more space
    5-click on browser and select files which u want to move to sd card
    enjoyyyyy
    Or just use the built-in My Files app to copy or move files from internal to external storage.
    07-09-2014 04:40 PM
    My phone has none of those functions. When I go into storage, there is no phone memory
    Well, I won't claim to be an expert in every model, but there has to be SOME storage or your phone wouldn't work. There's an operating system, for instance. That's stored. There are files created when you download apps, and the default these days is internal memory--so, that's stored, too. Android does sometimes through a file manager make it difficult to figure out where the storage is. "emulated sd card" is actually internal storage, for instance.

The poster to whom you were responding was talking about the SETTINGS, of the phone. Depending on the type of device (tablet, phone), on my phone I click the tab MORE (there are multiple tabs--connections, my device, accounts, etc). Scroll down--STORAGE is one. It tells you how much you have, what it is taken up with. You can clear caches.

I wouldn't really do it the way he does. Just open up a native file Manager "My Files." But I do have Samsung's My Files pre-installed. You may not if you don't have Samsung.
    07-10-2014 07:28 AM
    That area is strictly for looking at stats on my phone. There are no manipulation functions there.
    07-10-2014 08:48 AM
    That area is strictly for looking at stats on my phone. There are no manipulation functions there.
    I won't speak for the other poster as I don't do it that way either. I've never moved files that way and never heard of that. I admit, didn't fully understand either. I've used it to clear caches or get info, not move files.

but ...

What I'M saying is in terms of navigating the device, you clearly have internal storage. Open up MY FILES, if you have Samsung. It's built in as an app if you have any modern device.
    Just use that app. When that app opens up, it automatically goes to a default listing "All files" plus images, etc
    Click "ALL FILES"
    That gives "device storage"

Click that--you can see what directories are there and move things to/from.
    07-10-2014 09:02 AM
    Doesn't matter to me what Google's reasoning is. My Galaxy Tab 3 is MY Galaxy Tab 3, not Google's. It's getting rooted and this restriction REMOVED.
    07-18-2014 01:46 AM
    You can still use your external sd card. Once you save files onto the phone storage, hook your phone up to your computer and you can move files from your phone's storage to your external sd card there.
    07-21-2014 11:24 AM
    What good is that if you need a computer to do something you use to be able to do internally on the phone.

Just us the My Files app that comes with the phone, it has permission to do most jobs you need. It's not sophisticated, but it works.
    bluzman likes this.
    07-21-2014 12:36 PM
    For text files, Doc2go works just fine, I use it to edit text files on the card.
    07-21-2014 06:59 PM
    I am on Android 4.4.2 on my SGH-I747 (stock, unrooted). ES File Explorer no longer works for me, but My Files did.
    07-23-2014 05:48 PM
    It isn't just a simple matter of moving the files. I use my tablet every day for reports. I had the apps set up so that the data files were stored on the sd card. That way all the files were in one convenient location. I didn't have to wade through the android folders to find them. Each day, I had to move the files I needed to the sd card and at the end of the day I had one location to go to to access the files I needed. With this change, it will take me much longer to locate the files I need. I was also able to pull the card and move it to my desktop if I had a problem accessing the files.

That is in addition to the fact that the files can take up a lot of space and with them on the sd card, I didn't have a problem with storage space.

There has to be a way we can complain to someone about this.
    07-28-2014 06:39 PM
    im really getting crazy with this 4.4.2 on my note 2 . after the update, my 64gb sd card is not working anymore . it says blank card or unsupported files . what can I do with this deyym
    08-01-2014 09:45 AM
    im really getting crazy with this 4.4.2 on my note 2 . after the update, my 64gb sd card is not working anymore . it says blank card or unsupported files . what can I do with this deyym
    Try reformatting the card in the device.
    Then, reload it.
    08-02-2014 07:46 AM
    I have to agree with those that say this is broken. I may understand why Google did this, but they have rendered primary features of my phone unworkable. I have the xperia z2. One of the biggest selling points of the phone is 4k video and I prefer 3d party camera apps. Do you know how quickly the internal memory gets used up when recording in 4k? It means I can only make short videos and then transfer data every 5 minutes. Also I used sound recording apps like 'tape-machine'. Now I can't record directly to SD, meaning im constantly transferring to SD. It sucks!

After I updated it gave me a message that I could repair.. But I now realise this means I can rollback.. Otherwise I will be looking to root.. Or factor reset. Can anyone confirm that this will solve my issue?

I am minded to complain to Sony. While it is not directly their fault, they bear some responsibility in making their product fit for purpose, and at present this limitation sucks!
    monsieurms likes this.
    08-04-2014 02:52 PM
    Don't bother. The article starts out talking about how "Users like you and me are in an uproar" when the author simply defends what Google has done. At the very end of the article the author says, "Or you can huff and puff, and start a petition." In other words, Google and Android have done what they wanted to do and you can just live with it or complain uselessly. I wrote a point-by-point rebuttal describing the article's omissions, inaccuracies, workaround suggestions that risk permanent loss of your SD card, and downright misstatements (sometimes called, diplomatically, "obfuscations."

We once had an alternative to both Apple and Microsoft produced by those who really were excited to bring out something both new and non-dictatorial. Alas, it was all a fraud. MS never wanted to be a leader in new solutions (as its previous President Balmer admitted to when he said, Microsoft isn't interested in being first in technology but just first in making someone else's ideas profitable. Apple (especially in the Apple II and early Macintosh days) really was dedicated to creating incredibly great products. Google/Android appears to have stopped caring about its customer after only a couple of years. I don't know how they could shaft us so thoroughly and so quickly after Android's first release. Woe is us!
    08-11-2014 04:05 AM
    ES has the same trouble AND MyBackup Pro!
    08-25-2014 04:27 PM
    if anyone is having problems with the stupid google update that makes the tablet not access properly the SD Card, I just found an app that amazingly fixed it with one click. Only for rooted users:
    NextApp SDfix
    Works fast and after a reboot you can use your SD card again!
    08-28-2014 08:56 PM
    if anyone is having problems with the stupid google update that makes the tablet not access properly the SD Card, I just found an app that amazingly fixed it with one click. Only for rooted users:
    NextApp SDfix
    Works fast and after a reboot you can use your SD card again!
    Well, only for rooted users....and the professions of lack of support in the event of issues sound a bit scary.
    Anthony Chong likes this.
    08-29-2014 07:42 AM
    I can see why they are doing it. Nobody wants phones to have 128 GB of storage that can be transported everywhere. Apple hates it - cuts into iPhone sales. Tablet makers hate it - nobody needs to buy a tablet if they have 128, 256 GBs of storage on a phone. Laptop makers hate it - and desktop makers hate it for the same reason. Most of those fancy SSDs only have 256 GBs of space anyway.

Phones are getting too powerful. People know how to use them to their advantage. The industry hates "power users" and wants to keep you "in check" using KNOX, Lumen Toolbar, and other junk they put on stock.
    Yes, but they must realise that with these ridiculous resistrictions, we will just root the dang things and use a custom rom instead lol. Im still on jellybean 4.2.2, I refuse to have my sd card access restricted!
    09-02-2014 10:23 PM
139 12345 ...