Just got the update? Problems?

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. I just got the 4.4.2 yesterday and besides breaking foxfi, I've had no problems. I attribute this to the fact that I'm attractive, modest, and I ritually conduct factory resets after major updates. Seriously, if you're having issues, or just want to ensure a clean update; factory reset. Google it, smarter people can describe things like "orphaned data", "dirty flash", and "duplicate settings" much better than I.

Posted via Android Central App

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I just got the 4.4.2 yesterday and besides breaking foxfi, I've had no problems. I attribute this to the fact that I'm attractive, modest, and I ritually conduct factory resets after major updates. Seriously, if you're having issues, or just want to ensure a clean update; factory reset. Google it, smarter people can describe things like "orphaned data", "dirty flash", and "duplicate settings" much better than I.

For some reason, my clock widget on the lock screen disappears from time to time. Actually, it disappears most of the time and reappears at times.

J

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Installed update yesterday. Didn't do anything special in preparation - no backup, no Factory Reset, didn't remove SD card, no human sacrifice to the Android gods. Flawless. Just sayin'.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Installed update yesterday. Didn't do anything special in preparation - no backup, no Factory Reset, didn't remove SD card, no human sacrifice to the Android gods. Flawless. Just sayin'.

That's how all mine have gone, I have not done a reset yet. have not got the update notification yet for 4.4.2 on mine. Now that I know ES File explorer works on the update, I can install it when it comes.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Likewise. No problems. It's only the first day but seems like battery life has improved.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My phone also seems to be quicker after the update. I also noticed that Verizon's version of the KitKat update eliminates some of the things that have annoyed some people; now folders automatically close when you exit from an app opened from within a folder, and the blue date doesn't appear over images viewed in Gallery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i see no drastic difference in my S4, either negatively or positively. everything is working as it was before, which begs the question...is THIS what we were up in arms about having to wait for??? the ONLY difference I see is when I'm using the music player, the lockscreen is completely covered by the artist icon. weren't we supposed to get a new dialer, emoticons, etc? I'm quite underwhelmed at this point.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
i see no drastic difference in my S4, either negatively or positively. everything is working as it was before, which begs the question...is THIS what we were up in arms about having to wait for??? the ONLY difference I see is when I'm using the music player, the lockscreen is completely covered by the artist icon. weren't we supposed to get a new dialer, emoticons, etc? I'm quite underwhelmed at this point.
The update supposedly fixes wifi connection problems; if that works it will be a big deal for the people who were having that issue under older Android versions.

Jake Gittes

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've been having all sorts of problems with my S4 after the 4.4.2 update. My battery has been going dead inside of 4 hours.

I cleared the cache from recovery mode, and will likely go for the factory reset soon. Any other ideas before I pull the trigger?

steveknj

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've been having all sorts of problems with my S4 after the 4.4.2 update. My battery has been going dead inside of 4 hours.

I cleared the cache from recovery mode, and will likely go for the factory reset soon. Any other ideas before I pull the trigger?

While not going dead in 4 hours, the battery life has certainly decreased since the update. And even a bigger problem is that phone is now overheating when using Google Maps/Nav for as little a 30 minutes. I'd love to go back and get rid of this update. I don't see any advantage to it.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The only real problem I notice is overheating. Just general use seems to make it heat up, and I haven't made any calls yet in Kitkat. Hating the white battery icon, just sayin' ;)

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
The update supposedly fixes wifi connection problems; if that works it will be a big deal for the people who were having that issue under older Android versions.

While I don't get the "your wifi connection is unstable" notice anymore, my download speeds while on wifi have gone from 15-20 Mbps down to 2-3 Mbps down.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on day 5. I always wait a few days before gauging the battery life after a factory reset, since syncing apps and the cache needs to set itself up. But I'm actually seeing a slight improvement on this. It could be the update, or it could be the factory reset, but it's pretty marginal. I haven't gone back to nova yet, but touch wiz definitely is less sluggish on my device now. That's just my experience so far though.

jcalabria

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I updated on first day of availability. Here's what I have seen since:

Immediately after upgrading, the phone would not connect to any WiFi access point. It would appear to grab an IP address then hang with message "checking the quality of your internet connection". Tried multiple reboots, cycling WiFi on/off and multiple WAPs. What eventually cured the issue was cycling in and out of Airplane mode. WiFi connections have been solid since.

Whereas I previously had no issues maintaining 4G connections, after upgrade the phone essentially refused to connect at 4G. After two full days of 3G only, I did a factory reset, which restored 4G connectivity. I still see more fallback to 3G than I ever did pre-update.

The one problem that started with update that remains even after the factory reset and reinstallation of apps is that K9 mail crashes (or at least pops a message "Unfortunately K9 Mail has stopped | Report | OK") about 80% of the time when exiting K9 back to home screen. Everything appears to be operating normally after getting this message (still get mail pushed from AOL and GMail accounts and Yahoo imap polls still occur on schedule)... it's just annoying having to clear the "K9 Mail has stopped" message almost every time I exit from K9.

Last edited:

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Installed on mine Monday, no issues so far, I can use the SD card just like 4.3, no battery issues and no over heating issues. So far so good I would say.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The one problem that started with update that remains even after the factory reset and reinstallation of apps is that K9 mail crashes (or at least pops a message "Unfortunately K9 Mail has stopped | Report | OK") about 80% of the time when exiting K9 back to home screen. Everything appears to be operating normally after getting this message (still get mail pushed from AOL and GMail accounts and Yahoo imap polls still occur on schedule)... it's just annoying having to clear the "K9 Mail has stopped" message almost every time I exit from K9.

You may want to back up K9 (I believe it has a built in back-up function) and then clear data and cache or even uninstall/reinstall then restore your back up.

Shouldn't take long and can't hurt.

BigRedGonzo

Ann Gray

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Updated my Verizon S4 to 4.4.2 and since when I try to search in Twitter (and Twitter only) the keyboard freezes. I cannot close it, or use the back key or the home key.... I have to press the on/off button on the side to put the phone to sleep. After about a minute I can press the on/off button to wake the phone up and everything is closed and on the home screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Twitter app and rebooted the phone, no change. The keyboard works fine with Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Also, when it is frozen I have received the "Twitter is not responding" and also "TouchWiz Home has stopped". Anyone else having this problem? I know, the fix is don't try to search when I am in the Twitter app LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss