05-27-2014 04:10 PM
85 1234
tools
    Got the update the day it came out and saw problems. Besides general slowness and apps randomly failing the biggest problem is the volume. I could deal with random apps not running because I have ADD and try and run things all at once and I'm constantly opening and closing stuff. Whatever I can deal with it.

But... I also have the Twittter problem that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I reinstalled twitter still having problems with the keyboard not going away.

But the biggest problem is all of a sudden the media volume does not work unless head phones are plugged in. Ive restarted and plugged my head phones in and out numerous times and nothing works? Would you recommend a factory restart?

Thanks
    05-12-2014 09:20 PM
    Try clearing the cache before the full reset.

Power the phone down, ie: turn it off

Hold the up volume power and home button at the same time. When you see life let go of the power button and then after you see small blue lettering in the upper left hand corner let go of the other buttons.

Let it finish

Use the volume control to get to the clear cache line. Push the power button. It will do it's thing and wait for the next action.

Do this 2 more times and then using the same technique choose reboot and let the machine reboot.

Check and see if it fixed it. If not, bummer. You may have to do a full reset.
    05-12-2014 09:38 PM
    Try clearing the cache before the full reset. .
    I did this once after Kitkat and never needed the reset. The overheating stopped and battery life is dramatically better than pre-Kitkat
    05-13-2014 07:09 AM
    Factory reset didn't help. Twitter still acting slow and keyboard stays after done typing.

But the problem went away when I took my cover off. I have an otter box and I don't know why it started yesterday, but its working now. Kinda mad at myself that I didn't try that before doing the system restart.

Twitter still acting a fool. In general I don't like the update. My phone has been slower, programs crash more frequently and phone freezes.
    05-13-2014 08:41 AM
    Yeah, twitter messes up from time to time for me as well. I think it's a problem with Twitter and not kit-kat though, since that's my only problem as of late. The last update about a week ago made my problems and lock ups less frequent, but they still happen from time to time, and almost always when using the keyboard.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-13-2014 08:14 PM
    I know that anyone that has read any of my threads will call me a liar, but I am not a fan of FDR. I think that the updates should be built such that they take over properly and leave the device in a better state than it was before. That being said, I have been following a few different forums and always hit on the S4 Update threads and the vast majority of issues are corrected by an FDR. The iStuff has an advantage over Android in that the system is so closed. The Devs have to do things the way Apple wants it done and that makes for a much more stable system. It also provides you with with a very boring experience. Imagine your entire diet being composed of crackers that taste like the foods that you choose to eat, they all look the same they all feel the same, but they do taste like whatever they are supposed to taste like. You get the flavor, but he experience just isn't there. Android on the other hand is open and allows the devs to do what they will. UIs are open, data management is open and the list goes on... This is the experience that we Android users want.

UNFORTUNATELY, when that many degrees of freedom are given to the devs, programs become very diverse and some (even some of our favorites) can act up and/or cause issues. As an example, one of my favorite apps (Setting Profiles) used to not like another app I had on my phone and anytime an update came out for that app, I had to uninstall SP and reinstall. (That issue is fixed now.) That being said, when you do an FDR all of your apps have to be reinstalled so you get a fresh start. Some folks live by the FDR. They FDR before allowing an update and they rebuild their device after the update occurs.

Anyway ... although an FDR is not what anyone really desires to do, especially with this particular update, they seem to fix most of the issues that are created by the update. After the FDR, if issues still persist, then you have to begin looking at individual apps and that is a true PITA.

Sorry for the dissertation and good luck with the inevitable FDR,
    BigRedGonzo
    tvouge, STSVA, chshrkt and 1 others like this.
    05-14-2014 08:02 AM
    I know that anyone that has read any of my threads will call me a liar, but I am not a fan of FDR. I think that the updates should be built such that they take over properly and leave the device in a better state than it was before. That being said, I have been following a few different forums and always hit on the S4 Update threads and the vast majority of issues are corrected by an FDR. The iStuff has an advantage over Android in that the system is so closed. The Devs have to do things the way Apple wants it done and that makes for a much more stable system. It also provides you with with a very boring experience. Imagine your entire diet being composed of crackers that taste like the foods that you choose to eat, they all look the same they all feel the same, but they do taste like whatever they are supposed to taste like. You get the flavor, but he experience just isn't there. Android on the other hand is open and allows the devs to do what they will. UIs are open, data management is open and the list goes on... This is the experience that we Android users want.

UNFORTUNATELY, when that many degrees of freedom are given to the devs, programs become very diverse and some (even some of our favorites) can act up and/or cause issues. As an example, one of my favorite apps (Setting Profiles) used to not like another app I had on my phone and anytime an update came out for that app, I had to uninstall SP and reinstall. (That issue is fixed now.) That being said, when you do an FDR all of your apps have to be reinstalled so you get a fresh start. Some folks live by the FDR. They FDR before allowing an update and they rebuild their device after the update occurs.

Anyway ... although an FDR is not what anyone really desires to do, especially with this particular update, they seem to fix most of the issues that are created by the update. After the FDR, if issues still persist, then you have to begin looking at individual apps and that is a true PITA.

Sorry for the dissertation and good luck with the inevitable FDR,
    BigRedGonzo
    I always tell my friends when they're shopping for phones-- if you just want it to work buy the iphone. If you like to tinker and make it "yours" buy the Android. I don't see either of those extremes necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it comes down to what you as an individual want. Me? I love to tinker.

STSVA likes this.
    05-15-2014 01:34 AM
    I did the upgrade yesterday and it is draining my battery really fast.
    05-15-2014 06:26 AM
    I'm having the same problem with it draining my battery.
    05-15-2014 06:34 AM
    One of the good things about KitKat is that my S4 Bluetooth connection to my Prius now works flawlessly. Prior to the update, it worked erratically.
    05-15-2014 08:21 AM
    I did the upgrade yesterday and it is draining my battery really fast.
    Mary, try going to the recovery menu and doing a cache wipe. If the battery drain issue doesn't resolve itself, then try the FDR.

BigRedGonzo
    05-15-2014 02:46 PM
    Installed the KitKat update. The biggest problem that I have had is that NDrive GPS Navigation stopped working. When I contacted

NDrive support, they reported that NDrive Version 11 is not compatable with KitKat and that they are working on it.

I do not know why they did not get it working earlier.
    05-15-2014 07:15 PM
    I had random reboots for several days after the install. Never had that before. That seems to not be happening now. However, I have had an extremely unstable, and often unusable GPS and Google Maps experience ever since upgrading. It tells me GPS Signal Lost, which I never got before. Last weekend, it would do that and reboot. Now it just tells me that and my Google Maps won't work.

Any thoughts? First problem of any kind I've had with this phone, other than kicking myself that I didn't get is sooner.

Please help.
    05-15-2014 09:46 PM
    So after reading this thread, my question is this - how do I stop this from happening? I got my S4 back in Feb after suffering with a Droid X for three years. The S4 is perfect, it works and it works exactly like I want it to and I have it set up just how I like it. I don't want this update. I got the message saying that I must update and I told it to install later, at 1am, but it's still popping up this dialog wanting me to install the update every thirty seconds or so. There's got to be a way out of this. Please help, I love my S4 right now!
    05-15-2014 10:22 PM
    Only way is to root and to stop SDM from working
    05-15-2014 11:27 PM
    So after reading this thread, my question is this - how do I stop this from happening? I got my S4 back in Feb after suffering with a Droid X for three years. The S4 is perfect, it works and it works exactly like I want it to and I have it set up just how I like it. I don't want this update. I got the message saying that I must update and I told it to install later, at 1am, but it's still popping up this dialog wanting me to install the update every thirty seconds or so. There's got to be a way out of this. Please help, I love my S4 right now!
    Mine has worked great after updating to KitKat - apparently it's the luck of the draw, although I suspect the majority, if not the vast majority, of users are not having problems. Most problems seem to be resolvable by clearing the system cache in recovery mode and/or doing a factory reset. At least some of the remainder are because app developers have not yet updated their apps for KitKat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    05-16-2014 05:30 AM
    I am having nothing but problems. When I get a message, I can't get the screen to come for several seconds - black and won't even go to home screen where I need to swipe it. Overheats and response time when typing is very slow. HELP! what should I do??
    05-16-2014 10:11 AM
    Throw your phone against a concrete wall, it'll feel really really good.

Two options, clear the cache or do a full reset. Well, three, have you rebooted the phone yet? Turn it off, take out the battery for at least 30 seconds and then put everything back and start the phone up again.
    Cindy Wiles likes this.
    05-16-2014 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the replies... I bit the bullet and allowed the upgrade. So far everything seems ok but I hate the new icons on the status bar. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I got my Droid X and everything was a-ok for the first month or so but they rolled out a software update and it never worked properly again for the next three years. I'm scared that I'm going to have the same experience!
    05-16-2014 04:14 PM
    After completing multiple cache clears and two FDR battery life still half and volume still has a mind of its own.
    05-17-2014 07:45 AM
    It appears that the KitKat update killed my SD card and with it all of my "Camera" photos. Anybody else have this problem? Any way to recover the photos from the damaged SD card?
    05-17-2014 02:03 PM
    It appears that the KitKat update killed my SD card and with it all of my "Camera" photos. Anybody else have this problem? Any way to recover the photos from the damaged SD card?
    You can thank Google, it's how they set up KitKat for using 3rd party stuff to go in our External SD card. Google's trying to discourage people with phones with SD cards and removable battery, that's what I read in the T Mobile review. Google wants us to buy their phones they don't use SD cards and removal batteries in their phone.
    I'm sure somebody else will chime in for any ideas or correcting me.
    I'm on my 11th refusing to do the installment Of the update.
    05-17-2014 11:16 PM
    You can thank Google, it's how they set up KitKat for using 3rd party stuff to go in our External SD card. Google's trying to discourage people with phones with SD cards and removable battery, that's what I read in the T Mobile review. Google wants us to buy their phones they don't use SD cards and removal batteries in their phone.
    I'm sure somebody else will chime in for any ideas or correcting me.
    I'm on my 11th refusing to do the installment Of the update.
    Yea, that's not accurate.

05-18-2014 12:09 PM
    Have you tried connecting the SD card to a computer? If the card isn't corrupted and you can access it, you may be able to recover the pics. Honestly though, I suggest using Google plus and backing up your photos to the cloud. It works like a champ and you never have to worry about losing them again.

05-18-2014 12:12 PM
    Like some others I was having overheating issues. In my case GPS was set to GPS only. After switching it to High Accuracy I am not seeing the issue anymore... Go figure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    05-20-2014 06:53 AM
85 1234