Same Email Notification Icon

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I did the update today & now my AOL account & my Microsoft Exchange account both have the same email notification icon.
Anyone know how to fix this to show 2 different icons like it was before the update?

amazondrone

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about the email widget on your homescreen? All your mail accounts are now together in that one widget. If you tap it, you'll go to the last account you were looking at. If you want to change accounts, tap the bars on the upper left side of your screen, and all your email accounts will show up. I have an AOL account and 2 gmail accounts, and they are all listed. The numeral on your email widget is the total number of emails from all your accounts. I rather like that they're all together so I can check them all pretty quickly, basically from one screen rather than having to open each account separately.

Also, when you get an email, it'll show up in the status bar (provided you have notifications enabled). If you receive an email in more than one account, you'll have a notification for each account in the status bar; that way you know you need to check several accounts, if that's the case.

Hope this helps.

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Also, when you get an email, it'll show up in the status bar (provided you have notifications enabled). If you receive an email in more than one account, you'll have a notification for each account in the status bar; that way you know you need to check several accounts, if that's the case.
Hope this helps.
I have notification enables in the status bar - that is where the envelopes are now the same. So I don't know which email has new email without going into each mailbox. They used to be different. Before the update.

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup, similar issue here. I have two email accounts..one for work, on an Exchange server, and an AOL account. Used to know which account had new mail by whether I had a plain white envelope, or the AOL icon. Made things very convenient.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the AOL account, but looks to me like this one isn't fixable, its the way it is with the new software load. Somehow I don't see it being high on the priority list to fix, and was probably the unplanned result of some other higher level fix or mod.

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yep DonFL, that is exactly what is happening to me. Sadly I think you're right - we are going to have to live with this. :-\

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm also seeing some ongoing issues with mail syncing between desktop and phone on AOL since the upgrade. Have tried multiple email settings, but nothing seems to work anymore.

I hold AOL somewhat responsible for all of this, as my gut says a lot of the email infrastructure, both hardware and software, is probably the same "cutting edge" crap Steve Case rolled out 20 years ago..so when we have an upgrade, its a crapshoot as to whether the AOL side has compatibility issues. :'(

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had also posted in the Verizon forums & this is a reply I received from one of the members...
"The Samsung Galaxy S4 is following the KitKat design standard which requires the notification icons to be "White". What you want to return is NOT going to happen. It is the way it was designed.
You might be able to get two different icon symbols if you use two separate applications for the various email addresses. For example, you can use the Touchdown application for the exchange account and then either the default email app for the AOL account or an application specifically designed for AOL."

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense. May not like it, but it makes sense.

I've not read stellar reviews about any of the AOL apps, so likely going to keep it as is.

Are you seeing any issues with mail syncing..where the phone mailbox and desktop mailboxes don't match? This is a new issue I'm having since the uograde, where the phone is not current with what I see when logged in from another computer. Syncing does not bring them up to date with each other. I've tried various sync settings, but no difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith