THIS is Why I'll Only Buy a Phone With a Removable Battery

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The super-awesome over-hyped Samsung S4 super-phone gives you this kind of battery life with LIGHT use. Battery is 10 months old. What if it was non-removable? I'd be (edited by Moderator) outta luck. Worn battery, buy a new one. But 6 hours on a full charge? Junk. Did I mention LIGHT usage?

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-22-22-50-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-22-22-50-07.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do love being able to swap batteries on my Note but for my needs it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I really liked a phone that couldn't.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I do love being able to swap batteries on my Note but for my needs it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I really liked a phone that couldn't.

Deal breaker for me for this reason. I don't overcharge, I sparingly use my car charger, and this is the result? I see a warranty exchange in my near future.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you got a bum battery if it's not holding a charge after less than a year with light usage.

Totally agree. I'll call Big Red tomorrow and see if a corporate store can do the exchange or have to go through the hassle of FedEx.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I think I got a bum battery is my nexus 5
But then again I'm a heavy user and with the s4
I never had to worry about it..

Kinda missing the removable battery status.

Posted from Google Nexus 5

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The super-awesome over-hyped Samsung S4 super-phone gives you this kind of battery life with LIGHT use. Battery is 10 months old. What if it was non-removable? I'd be **** outta luck. Worn battery, buy a new one. But 6 hours on a full charge? Junk. Did I mention LIGHT usage?

So what are you going to do when ALL phones have an embedded battery? Because that's the trend, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the de facto situation next year.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I seriously think that it is problem with your phone....
Galaxy S2 at my home which is almost 3 years old is getting such battery life....(July 2011)

My iPod touch 4th gen gives 5 days standby with wifi connected (3.5 years old, bought for 2010 Christmas)

Or 30 hours audio......(with push notifications for Facebook , Mail etc.)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Why I love my Note 3, not only to swap out batteries but to get an extended one like the Zerolemon if I so choose (which I did!) :)

Removable battery just gives you more options, which is why we all love Android right? To be able to choose and have options?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Deal breaker for me for this reason. I don't overcharge, I sparingly use my car charger, and this is the result? I see a warranty exchange in my near future.

You can't overcharge these batteries.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You know thinking about it Murph... Did you let the battery get real low all the time? That actually is bad for them and may explain your issue.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So what are you going to do when ALL phones have an embedded battery? Because that's the trend, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the de facto situation next year.

I'll figure out how to cross that bridge when (more so IF) it happens. :)

I haven't had a removable battery in 2-3 years and haven't had a single issue.

The point though is that if you did have an issue, it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace that battery yourself than it would be with a sealed/embedded one; which would require that you take the device in for service (or ship it in) or have appropriate hand tools and knowledge to attempt it yourself.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Changing embedded batteries is not too difficult in non-removable phones. It's just not something you can do casually.

I agree removable batteries are better. But not for this reason.

Usually yeah it isn't bad except for the HTC One (either one). From what I've read those can be very difficult.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't overcharge these batteries.

Correct, once full, it would just stop charging.

Top graph is charging rate(ma), and bottom is battery percentage

humadubu.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

sparker04

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm right there with you! My phone dies a couple times at least a day. It's frustrating when you cant access an outlet or a car charger. Removable batteries are definitely the way to go!! I can always carry a spare.