Hangouts Issue

CrossClown

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having this issue, it's pretty minor, where hangouts notifies you if you receive a text but doesn't keep the message icon in the notifications bar (it shows up but then after a while it disappears) or has the LED light blinking at all? I've been trying to figure out how to fix this but can't find the solution.

Also, I keep my 4G turned off as much as possible (I'm around wifi for a good portion of the day) and only turn it on to retrieve MMS messages or when I'm not near a wifi connection. Have you noticed a slight delay in recieving MMS messages, particularly group messages?

mkonich

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if I understand you correct, you are having trouble receiving MMS only, correct?

Basically (for me it's always with pics or group texts since they are MMS), I have to open hangouts and just happened to notice that I have messages that I need to download. This used to be a problem in the past, because it would not let you receive mms on wifi. Now it seems like it will, but it won't auto-retrieve them. As soon as I click the message to download it (wifi or not) it works just fine, but this is getting REALLY old. Just upgraded to S5 from S3, and was not having this issue on S3, so I'm assuming it's THE newer OS. Considering this was a problem so long ago that Android FIXED, I would have thought this could have been avoided on newer OS's...I guess I give Android (or google if it truly is just a Hangouts issue) too much credit lol.

SOOO...Anyone know how to fix this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CrossClown

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My problem was receiving notifications from the phone that I had received a message (SMS or MMS). MMS is only retrievable via data and on most android phones (and iPhones), when the phone itself is connected to wifi, it shuts off data so that the two aren't simultaneously running. What they should do is to have a setting that turns on data when an MMS is being received by the phone and then shut off the data immediately after the MMS has been retrieved. Anyway, for now, I've chosen to opt out of using Hangouts and have moved over Textra in order to fix both the notifications issue and the pain of having a delayed receiving of MMS. Textra has the setting that turns on data when MMS is being received and then turns it off right after. So, you can leave data off completely (or be on wifi) and MMS will still be received without you having to manually turn on data and download the message.

P.S. Android is Google :p

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having this issue, it's pretty minor, where hangouts notifies you if you receive a text but doesn't keep the message icon in the notifications bar (it shows up but then after a while it disappears) or has the LED light blinking at all? I've been trying to figure out how to fix this but can't find the solution.

Also, I keep my 4G turned off as much as possible (I'm around wifi for a good portion of the day) and only turn it on to retrieve MMS messages or when I'm not near a wifi connection. Have you noticed a slight delay in recieving MMS messages, particularly group messages?
Hello, if you go to settings>apps> and find the hangouts app, make sure the notifications box is check so you are able to receive them. After you have ever confirmed that is checked, try clearing the cache on the hangouts app.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, if I understand you correct, you are having trouble receiving MMS only, correct?

Basically (for me it's always with pics or group texts since they are MMS), I have to open hangouts and just happened to notice that I have messages that I need to download. This used to be a problem in the past, because it would not let you receive mms on wifi. Now it seems like it will, but it won't auto-retrieve them. As soon as I click the message to download it (wifi or not) it works just fine, but this is getting REALLY old. Just upgraded to S5 from S3, and was not having this issue on S3, so I'm assuming it's THE newer OS. Considering this was a problem so long ago that Android FIXED, I would have thought this could have been avoided on newer OS's...I guess I give Android (or google if it truly is just a Hangouts issue) too much credit lol.

SOOO...Anyone know how to fix this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I get that too. Group messaging requires data to be turned on to see the messages.

Sent from my AT&T One XL