Help! First time flashing firmware, didn't go so well!

kbreudi

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
First I would like to thank you for reading this post and helping in anyway you can!

So I have an S4 on Verizon here in the USA. I just received the update OTA for 4.4.2 about a month ago. I didn't like some of the changes, I was considering going back to 4.2. but unsure of what it would involve. A few weeks later i purchased a new radio for my truck, its a pioneer with AppRadio mode. After hours of unsuccessful attempts at getting the phone to work with the deck I decided to call pioneer tech support. They informed me that there AppRadio mode will only work with the S4 on 4.4.2 , only 4.2 or 4.3 (possibly). So now I had two reasons to try to revert to factory firmware. So after some research I decided to tackle the task. I found a tutorial to install factory firmware using the Odin program from a PC. I was under the impression that I needed to ROOT my phone in order to install an firmware manually. So I followed another tutorial on how to ROOT the S4 on Verizon with 4.4.2 and it worked, I has super user access. So now came the flashing process. I restarted the device, holding the volume down / power / home button to enter the download mode. I then connected the phone to the PC with the proper USB drivers installed and Odin 3.07. The device showed up as COM ID 007 in the blue box. I then downloaded the .tar.md5 file from the website. I loaded that by pressing the PDA button in Odin. After a minute or so it finished checking the MD5 successfully, I clicked start, a few steps occurred followed by the red FAIL box in Odin. After multiple attempts it still did not work. I now have a non working phone! I can enter the download mode fine, but when i power on normally or into the factory recover I get the message saying that the firmware upgrade failed and to use kies to try to fix the problem. I downloaded keys, still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Can I not go back to 4.2 since I upgraded to 4.4? I just want my phone back to working condition at this point, unless someone can tell me a way to go to 4.2 that will work.

Again thanks for the help!

Here is the message box from Odin
<ID:0/007> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SCH-I545_MDK_562219_Stock_Restore.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<ID:0/007> File analysis..
<ID:0/007> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/007> Initialzation..
<ID:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/007> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/007> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/007> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/007> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/007> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/007> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/007> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The file that you downloaded, was it stock or rooted already?

If you're gonna go through ODIN, it's usually best to start with a stock firmware file then root it after it's been flashed.

kbreudi

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It was labeled as "stock" firmware that would have shipped on the original S4 with 4.2...I read somewhere that you cant go from 4.4.2 back to 4.2 by using Odin and the stock firmware, maybe that's my problem?