Newest Verizon update for Galaxy S4

mrmartymac#AC

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed, as was mentioned before that the GPS Indicator in the pull down has changed to the Location symbol. I have also noticed that if you have Location set to High Accuracy it is no longer possible to simply deactivate the GPS but still have the other forms of location active.

Instead, you are now completely deactivating Location. This is highly annoying. I really prefer the ability to activate/deactivate GPS when I like. I do not understand why they would combine this explicitly with ALL location settings.

Zudnic

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This bothered me at first too. If you set it to battery saving mode, it will automatically fire up the GPS when it's needed, like when you are in Maps. I've warmed to it.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Like I said when I was using my S3 and now the S4 I don't have weird problems with downloading updates. Anyway...this new update is working fine.

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Did a data wipe and reboot and now it's working fine. Went all day yesterday with no freeze ups and no restarts.....but the battery life does seem to be suffering.

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm now having WiFi connectivity issues. It's fine on my wifi at home, but it won't connect to public WiFi that I have previously been able to connect to with no issues.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4

Deep Sparkle

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, both my husband and I downloaded the new "software Upgrade" and it destroyed our phones. Verizon actually sent us two new phones. My husband's new one kept asking him to upgrade again, but he declined and it finally stopped asking. I'm about to switch mine to the new one; just trying to decide the best way to back up my stuff. Any suggestions? Especially the apps....

techblue1123

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, both my husband and I downloaded the new "software Upgrade" and it destroyed our phones. Verizon actually sent us two new phones. My husband's new one kept asking him to upgrade again, but he declined and it finally stopped asking. I'm about to switch mine to the new one; just trying to decide the best way to back up my stuff. Any suggestions? Especially the apps....

I used SMS Backup and Restore for text messages and Mobo desktop for other data backup and I use mediafire as an addition photo backup.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with Samsung on Twitter. They offered to fix my phone, but only if I paid since it's out of warranty.

By the way, I don't know if this will help, but here's my system log file. Perhaps it'll contain a clue.

2206ca8ee1a6e88a1175c1fff097ee20.jpg
9af11d1c696a43540d49e19bba8d318d.jpg

Tappin' and Talkin' on Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spyke562

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Update seems fine for me however battery life is really bad. I have an extended battery which latest ~4 days now after my OTA update I only get ~11 hours.

Last Successful Software Update from Verizon Wireless: update_SCHI545_NC5_to_NG6 on 10-24-14

Has anyone fixed this before?

Attachments

• 2014_10_27_16.03.40.jpg
    2014_10_27_16.03.40.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 38

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm now having WiFi connectivity issues. It's fine on my wifi at home, but it won't connect to public WiFi that I have previously been able to connect to with no issues.

I contacted Samsung Support on Twitter. They had me power down the phone, pull the battery and leave it out for at least two minutes, and then replace the battery and power up the phone. It seems to have helped. VZW contacted me on Twitter and wanted me to do a hard reset, but I decided not to since it seems to be better now.

vstj

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've not had the sudden reboot issues that some people have had after updating. But I have noticed a slightly faster battery drain. And occasionally a bit of a lag when scrolling in some apps.

More importantly, after NG6 update ES File Manager, X-plore File Manager, & Solid File Manager no longer write to extSD card. The update broke Dev's workarounds that allowed them to write to extSD on KitKat 4.4.2. I've notified Dev's but have little hope they'll find another workaround.

Anyone else have this issue after update?

Posted via Android Central App

jrh4054

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you read the posts on the VZW S4 Community, https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/droid/samsung-galaxy-s4, you will see that there are post after post complaining about the issues with the NG6 update. VZW's answer is the factory reset, which nearly all users say doesn't work. Delay the NG6 update as long as you can. You'd think VZW/Samsung would trouble shoot these updates before pushing them. I have had various problems with every S4 system update since I got the phone.

maineultraclassic

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset fixed all my issues, but now the battery life sucks.

It's their secret way of forcing us to upgrade to a new phone, issue an update with bugs in it that **** us off enough to buy a new phone. For me, with unlimited data, that's not going to happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams