I use chomp SMS as the default messaging app on my Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2; kernel version 3.4.0; Build KOT49H.I545VRUFNG6 (updated yesterday)). This has worked without issue for a little over year. A couple of months ago the default messaging app started reverting to the system messaging app on each reboot of the phone (not rooted).

The same behavior is being seen on my wife's Note 3 starting about the same time.

Regardless of the method used to set chomp as the default messaging app (using chomp's option to set as default app or specifying it using the system settings) the change does not hold on reboot.

I contacted the maker of chomp SMS and they suggested it could be due to an auto kill app but the one on my phone had chomp filtered so it does not auto kill it and my wife's Note 3 does not have an auto kill app.

As a test I uninstalled the auto kill app on my S4 , rebooted and chomp was no longer the default messaging app. Set chomp back as the default messaging app, rebooted and again the default changed back to the system messaging app.

I have uninstalled chomp SMS, reinstalled chomp SMS and the behavior remains the same.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? If so do you know what the cause is and how to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    10-24-2014 12:02 PM