I have a S4 that was under contract with Verizon. I decided to cancel the contract knowing that I would have to pay a cancellation fee and I was OK with that. But somehow Verizon started tacking on a ton of fees and monthly charges where it is to the point where it will never be paid. I think the last bill they sent was for over $1000... umm never gonna pay that unless they agree to just the ETF. I tried to cancel the contract a couple of days before the next billing cycle but they just kept adding on monthly charges along with the ETF fee.

Is it possible to use the phone with a prepaid carrier like Straight Talk or one of the many other carriers out there? It seems like a waste of phones that are just collecting dust. Of course Verizon says the phones can never be used until we pay them off - that they are locked out and will never work with another carrier. I figure there has to be a way to use them. If not... then the phones will just be used over WiFi.
    04-07-2015 01:35 PM
    I currently am using a Verizon s4 on T-Mobile pre paid I pay 30$ a month 100 min unlimited text and data. All you have to do is change it to gsm instead of CDMA and change the apn settings sure you can't internet and pictures and stuff

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2015 06:37 PM
    I have an VZW S4 that I just put on Straight Talk. I'm not 100% on all the detail, but it is a CDMA not GSM phone. Straight Talks service uses the VZW towers for this I think. As far as 'Unlocking' it. When I decided I wanted to do this, I called VZW. I was not under contract and didn't even have their service anymore. (Just had the S4 sitting here). I was told (and it turned out to be correct) that these phones are shipped and sold already unlocked. Nothing at all has to be done. Went to WalMart, bought the BYOP kit, comes w/ a SIM and 1 mo. service card. Tossed in the SIM, activate, done.
    For VZW phones on ST you don't have to do anything at all w/ the APN or anything. (At least where I am...although I would check).
    It's working great...very happy w/ the phone and service.....
    05-22-2015 11:41 PM