rizzymo

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Will Verizon release the update this week????? Never heard any problems with at&t update.

Posted via Android Central App

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Will Verizon release the update this week????? Never heard any problems with at&t update.

Getting to wonder if they're delaying it since many of us who jumped on the S4 right away will soon be eligible, and giving us a refresh might make some OK with holding out longer, like waiting for the S7.

rizzymo

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Damn, another 1 to 2 weeks. The same sh*t as always. I think Verizon hate Samsung phones. Always a long process !!!!

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Damn, another 1 to 2 weeks. The same sh*t as always. I think Verizon hate Samsung phones. Always a long process !!!!

No, just older Samsung phones whose owners will soon be eligible to upgrade to the S6. My wife got the Lollipop update on her S5 months ago, and even got another small update a couple of weeks ago. Can't tell me there is that much difference between the S4 and S5. I suppose they're bound to upgrade phones based on age, but can't ignore the upgrade eligibility angle.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Root. Problem solved

Yes, rooting is a solution for those prepared to take the slight risk of messing it up or encountering a complication they can't deal with on their own, rendering their "lifeline" unusable. Just like some should never attempt doing their own car maintenance, rooting is not for everyone.

rizzymo

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Its amazing how they had the update for about 5 months, and taking this long to release it. Trying to get us to upgrade to the 6!!!!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Its amazing how they had the update for about 5 months, and taking this long to release it. Trying to get us to upgrade to the 6!!!!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

I suppose VZW would argue that they had to work the bugs out and we sure don't want an update until it is flawless! They would also understandably want to dedicate their time to getting the update to newer phones before one that millions are almost eligible to replace. From a business standpoint it makes sense, from a customer standpoint it sucks.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Is it really necessary or are there really any benefits to doing a factory reset either before or after the update?

If the phone is really messed up or you want to spend two solid days setting it back up and another year cursing yourself for the critical app files you lost (password vaults, notes, other docs), then knock yourself out and factory reset your heart out. Some recommend it with the same indifference they will recommend reloading Windows at the first sign of a minor issue. Not saying there aren't times it is required, but folks that recommend it so casually must keep nothing of value on their phones. Admittedly you could be doing something clever with backups that makes it workable, but would bet less than 2% of folks do that. If all you have on your phone are contacts and appointments synced to Google, then resets aren't bad. For the rest of us, then they are painful. Know what you're getting into.

I have had an Android phone since the day the original Moto Droid came out and have even rooted, and have never had to do a reset. I am amazed that Google has never seen fit to build in a painless and secure backup and restore that gives you the ability to completely protect your app files and completely restore. I suppose one issue is that you might actually restore the problem too, if it is caused by an app. There are backup apps, but they don't have full access unless you are rooted so will miss things.

Last edited: