01-12-2018 08:51 AM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Well, I started using mail.ru last night, and that's working well enough... But I prefer the stock app enough that I'm about to back up my phone and do a hard reset. I KNOW that the stock app CAN work, because as I said, my husband's is working fine... And I've put our phone side by side and looked at all of the settings and options and they're the same.. So, buggy update is all I can think.
    05-08-2015 08:31 AM
    May have a fix - at least it worked or me.

Soft /Reset (will not lose data and apps)
    Power down phone
    Remove Battery for 30 Seconds
    Rinstall Battery
    Start Phone.

All notifications now show up on notification bar
    05-08-2015 09:28 AM
    All notifications now show up on notification bar
    May have overstated. Email and messaging notifications show on mine. haven't had any other notifications to check it yet.
    05-08-2015 03:20 PM
    I don't really understand what needs to be done to get the notifications restarted. Isalso don't like that an upgrade causes loss of functionality. something seems wrong. and what about the blue LED indicator that no longer sends notification when in sleep mode. the list of frustrated people is growing and I hope the right people learn of this and do something. also, one person on this string said her husband upgraded and had no problems
    05-08-2015 05:22 PM
    I was having similar issue after my update this morning...I wasn't getting any audible notifications. I checked all my settings and they were correct...still no sound. I went back into the settings and changed my notification to a different "sound" and then back to my original setting and everything with that works.

My bigger issue now is I use the Comcast email app for my comcast email on the phone. For the visible notification my email app used to show a red/white envelope ...now it is all white and the exact same thing I get for text messages. So frustrating...every time I see it I have no way of knowing if it is a text or an email....

Anyone having similar issues with the Comcast app or any others? I really need to get the visible notification to NOT be exactly the same for text and email!
    05-08-2015 07:50 PM
    I had same problem with my S4 then figured it out. I tried everything else in this thread including the soft reset/battery pull; no luck. Here's how I got the notifications/sound back... I just went into application manager and cleared cache AND data. the key is to clear both. unfortunately this wipes your email account(s) so you'll have to re-enter your pop or imap server settings. worked for me.
    05-09-2015 12:25 AM
    Ryans7700 fix worked for me! Thanks for posting.
    05-09-2015 09:14 AM
    I can't get to my email in application manager. I can only access it through accounts. I know, I know, I'm clueless. Please help!
    05-09-2015 09:38 AM
    Frankie1960, here's the receipe.

Settings - More - App Manager - All - then scroll to Email app and hit CLEAR DATA AND CLEAR CACHE. Then reset your email info. Don't forget there are 2 places to set your notifications - the Email App settings as well as phone settings.
    05-09-2015 10:22 AM
    I had same problem with my S4 then figured it out. I tried everything else in this thread including the soft reset/battery pull; no luck. Here's how I got the notifications/sound back... I just went into application manager and cleared cache AND data. the key is to clear both. unfortunately this wipes your email account(s) so you'll have to re-enter your pop or imap server settings. worked for me.
    This worked for me too! Many kudos to ryan7700 for the solution. I would suggest that someone from this thread who had opened a problem ticket with Samsung / Verizon, call them back to close the ticket and relay the fix to them so they can document it and use it to resolve any future calls into their help center on this issue.
    05-09-2015 10:49 AM
    Got it. Thanks.
    05-09-2015 11:47 AM
    You guys rock. This has been making me crazy! Now I still need a bit of help. I now have the Gmail (envelope) notification AND the AOL (email) notification in the upper left of the notification bar, as I had first added my AOL email to the Gmail app...as stated in a previous post in this thread. How do I remove my AOL email account from that Gmail one...so I only get the one notification, not both?

I feel like I am losing my mind. I thought I also had seen (for a fleeting moment) where I could adjust the settings for how often I wanted the email app to check email ,etc. I know I DID see that when I had added it to the GMAIL app, but now I can't seem to find that setting either (for AOL-or stock email app)
    05-09-2015 02:58 PM
    I tried what ryan7700 suggested and I can Clear Cache,but I can't Clear Data. The "Clear Data" box is not highlighted (it's only dim), so I can't select it.

I tried deleting and reentering my yahoo emails accounts and I still don't get notifications. Any other suggestions?
    05-09-2015 09:48 PM
    I tried what ryan7700 suggested and I can Clear Cache,but I can't Clear Data. The "Clear Data" box is not highlighted (it's only dim), so I can't select it.

I tried deleting and reentering my yahoo emails accounts and I still don't get notifications. Any other suggestions?
    I also do not have the option to clear data, only the cache. Was hopeful this would be a fix for me. ๐Ÿ˜

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4
    05-10-2015 08:28 AM
    We shouldn't have 2 do this. An update should be pushed out. Any ticket should not b closed bc it shouldn't happen 2 begin with. And I'm not the only one who is not savvy enough 2 know how 2 restore email after clearing data. I'm afraid 2 do it. Best Buy originally set me up. When u say we have 2 restore Imap or POP, I don't know how!!
    05-10-2015 09:29 AM
    I had the same problem. Try this: go to setting > backup and reset > reset settings (not factory reset, that would wipe your phone)

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-10-2015 10:15 AM
    I'm not sure why clear data would be grayed out. Here are some things to try:

Force stop app first, then try
    Delete email account from stock app before attempting to clear data
    try a soft reset
    under running apps, try stopping all email services like 'EmailDebugService', 'MailService', etc
    05-10-2015 10:17 AM
    When I did the above, both clear data and clear cache were open to select, and once I selected the first one, the other greyed out also, like clicking on one also clicked the other automatically. I followed what was said in post #31. I was afraid about the POP or whatever, but I didn't have to do any of that. (I am not tech savy , and usually want hand holding before I do any of this). I am now getting e mail notification AND my blue light! I DID have to put in my e mail address again. ANd the phone had a slight lag time to it, so I couldn't put it in right away...like it needed a minute to catch up and clear what I had just done. And then I was able to add my e mail account.
    t rochelle likes this.
    05-10-2015 10:27 AM
    I'm not sure why clear data would be grayed out. Here are some things to try:

Force stop app first, then try
    Delete email account from stock app before attempting to clear data
    try a soft reset
    under running apps, try stopping all email services like 'EmailDebugService', 'MailService', etc
    My clear data and the Force stop in email are both greyed out. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA
    05-10-2015 11:13 AM
    No, you three are not alone - I noticed this the day I installed the update. I just got off with a lengthy chat with Samsung about the problem. After wiping my cache clean (and still no change), his next suggestion was to do a phone back up via Kies 3 (I will NOT touch that program - buggy/bad experience with that program twice!), then do a Factory reinstall. I am not comfortable with that and I even mentioned during the chat that perhaps it was a software bug with the update. No comment was given - just backup data and reinstall and see what happens. I think I need to sleep on that one. Anyone have a less complicated fix or are we stuck?
    05-10-2015 04:12 PM
    No, you three are not alone - I noticed this the day I installed the update. I just got off with a lengthy chat with Samsung about the problem. After wiping my cache clean (and still no change), his next suggestion was to do a phone back up via Kies 3 (I will NOT touch that program - buggy/bad experience with that program twice!), then do a Factory reinstall. I am not comfortable with that and I even mentioned during the chat that perhaps it was a software bug with the update. No comment was given - just backup data and reinstall and see what happens. I think I need to sleep on that one. Anyone have a less complicated fix or are we stuck?
    Just install and use K9 mail (unless you need MS exchange compatibility which doesn't work).
    05-10-2015 04:30 PM
    I pulled my battery then cleared the system cache. I'm still not receiving any email notifications.
    05-11-2015 06:15 AM
    I have been tweeting with Samsung support about this for a few days, but I'm not really getting anywhere. They keeping having me try the same stuff already discussed here. ๐Ÿ˜•

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4
    05-11-2015 06:22 AM
    Worked for me too, ryans7700!!! I had tried every antidote prior to yours (#1 - #30 in this forum) & nothing worked. Then I followed your instructions by going to the application manager (must 1st pull down menu from top of screen, select gear icon, scroll menu headers on top of next screen to the right, choose "More" to get to the "Application Manager"), chose Gmail App in my case, pressed "CLEAR DATA" & it cleared the cache with this one press, and voila: my Gmail notification, both audible & visual, were back! Thanks ryans7700 for sharing!!! Too bad Samsung & Verizon weren't as charitable! Maybe it is because they would have to admit they screwed up by leaving this out!
    05-11-2015 02:07 PM
    I love people like you!!! This totally fixed the issue for me. Thank you thank you thank you!
    05-11-2015 09:21 PM
113 1234 ...