01-12-2018 09:51 AM
113 123 ...
tools
    I use the stock mail app for all my email accounts. Since the update, which I did this morning, I'm no longer getting my email notifications in the notification area nor a sound or vibration when a new message arrives. The only way I know I have a new message is the red circle indicator on the mail icon.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4
    05-04-2015 10:06 AM
    Anyone else having this issue? The only email account that is showing notifications or making sounds is my work email which is set up as an exchange account.

05-05-2015 06:27 AM
    Yes, I also have that same problem. My wife and I upgraded our S4's to 5.0 and do not receive audible notification of email arrival. We both have standard Comcast email accounts. Text audibles work fine.
    05-05-2015 07:54 AM
    Go into settings; device; notifications; accounts and make sure the right boxes are checked for your needs. You will have to do each account.
    05-05-2015 12:09 PM
    Already checked the settings and they are correct.

05-05-2015 04:20 PM
    I am having same issue and after 4.5 hours on the phone with Verizon and Samsung tech support still am suffering in silence. No one seems to have any idea what to do or will acknowledge if this is a known issue that is being looked into.
    05-05-2015 07:03 PM
    That has been done over and over again, but thanks for the suggestion.
    05-06-2015 08:17 AM
    Argen1 and msugrad,

Apparently we are the only three with this issue. Have either of you tried a full restore of the phone. That is the next step that tech support wanted me to try but I am reluctant to wipe it out totally over this, especially knowing that I am not a totally isolated case.
    05-06-2015 11:31 AM
    Magicbri,

I also am reluctant to wipe it right now. I suppose I'll just have to check it more often and hope more people respond. It's only been a few days since the upgrade has been available.
    05-06-2015 12:46 PM
    Nope. Not just three of us. I upgraded yesterday and have the same issue. I have all of the notification settings correctly turned on at both the app and phone levels. I will fathom a guess that anyone with an S4 using the standard email app and not Google's GMail app (which I disabled because I hated it) has this issue. No blinking blue LED when phone is dark, no envelope icon on upper left of lock screen for new emails, not even the icon on the unlocked home screen. Like the others said, the only way to tell when you have a new email is to unlock the phone, check the number on the main email icon and see if it has increased from the last time you checked. This is bogus! I had heard that the Lollipop rollout for S4 had been delayed for a few different reasons. Apparently they ultimately decided that those of us still "living in the past" and using technology that is nearly two years old (wow!) are not worth holding up the release for and we could live with a few bugs.
    05-06-2015 12:48 PM
    I am having the same issue. All of my notification setting are correct, but am not getting any email notification. After seeing this thread, it's probably a bug in Lollipop.
    WillRM likes this.
    05-06-2015 01:21 PM
    I have been experimenting and it appears that phone and text are the only notifications that are working correctly. FB, Ebay, email, etc. aren't giving any notifications.
    05-06-2015 01:57 PM
    I am having the same exact problem. I downloaded the update this morning and ever since I get no LED notifications at all. All the right boxes are checked and I did a re-boot. Still doesn't work.
    05-06-2015 02:39 PM
    i had that problem then fixed it under SOUND AND NOTIFICATIONl. Under notification change NOTIFCATIONS ON LOCK SCREEN to show all content. that should help get what you were getting PRE-LOLLIPOP.

I on the other hand can't seem to get JUST my text msgs to show up on the lock screen. I don't want to see my email, I'll see it on the status bar / pull down menu.... grrr.. and i have a heating up issue on my S4. not a fan of lollipop today.
    05-06-2015 06:00 PM
    Thanks for the show all content suggestion, but mine is already set that way so no dice.

05-06-2015 07:48 PM
    Thanks for the tip. Mine was set that way too. Plus that doesn't address the fact that incoming emails don't make selected notification noise, vibrate or flash blue led.
    05-07-2015 01:33 AM
    I get all of my notifications (Ebay, Email, etc). I do use K9 mail. It works great for me but won't work with MS Exchange at this point. Otherwise, it is a very versatile Email utility with lots of features. Might be worth a try to see if its notifications work for you.
    05-07-2015 06:38 AM
    Having the exact same problem with the email app (Samsung? Verizon?). Updated yesterday when prompted. Now regretting it. Also, my music info (track name, artist, album) no longer appears on the display in my car (Mazda 3). Everything worked fine before the update.
    05-07-2015 09:49 AM
    Add one more user to the list of those not receiving email notifications with the native app. Any reason to believe that Samsung/Verizon know or care about this?
    05-07-2015 10:12 AM
    My husband's phone updated at the same time as mine, and his is working... showing emails, everything. I did find that I had an option not selected in menu>device>sounds>others sounds>Samsung apps, email. I thought, oh! There it is! I fixed it! But nope, still not working. But maybe that will work for someone.

I've even tried a soft reset. I'm getting pretty frustrated.
    05-07-2015 10:48 AM
    I have reported the issue to both Verizon and Samsung. But I am one voice. If everyone with this issue would report it, then a fix will come that much faster.
    05-07-2015 01:55 PM
    After installing the upgrade this morning on Galaxy S4 I, too, stopped receiving email notifications and the blue LED indicator no longer works. The settings are correct. Does Google need to do a fix? Is it a Samsung problem? Verizon? I am upset about this and wish I could just reverse the upgrade.
    05-07-2015 05:57 PM
    When you update to Ver 5 (Lollipop) your stock email application still works BUT you will no longer receive notifications.

I didn't use anything but the standard "stock" email app and if you did the same you now have to use GMAIL to access your YAHOO and other email accounts. I didn't know GMAIL had this ability until today. You can set up the same notifications (sound, vibrate, etc) you had before and GMAIL will now send out notifications.

Seems rather odd the old email app is still there and you can configure for notifications - it just doesn't work however. I went into the old app and removed all my email accounts.

I'm now getting my notifications!
    05-07-2015 06:08 PM
    Well I gave up on waiting for a fix. I reset my phone back to factory default and reloaded all my apps and data. Now the notifications work the way they are supposed to.I wish they would quit using us for R&D when they roll out a new operating system.
    05-08-2015 08:21 AM
    I did what "swmtcpl" suggested and it is working for now. I am now getting sound notifications from my AOL account that I use as my main email. Why should your AOL, Yahoo or other email be hosted on G-Mail? It seems that Google is forcing you to use their programs so they can track you even more. If this fix crashes or more problems arise then I will save all my info and do a system restore.
    05-08-2015 09:21 AM
113 123 ...