S4 Lollipop unsuccessful on previously rooted (but no longer rooted)

crcucb

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy S4. This morning it informed me of some updates. The first one downloaded and installed just fine, this is what it now says on my about phone:
Model: sch-i545
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband Version: I545VRUFNK4
Kernel Version: 3.4.0 dpi (at) SWDD5011 #1 Fri Feb 20 14:29:47 KST 2015
Build Number: KOT49H.I545VRUFNK4
SE for Android Status: Enforcing SEPF_SCH-I545_4.4.2_0027 Tue Sept 02 14:19:26 2015
Secure Boot Status type: Samsung
Hardware version: I545.06
Security Software Version: MDF v1.0 Release 3 VPN v1.4 Release 2

I got notified for the Lollipop update, it downloads fine, reboot, I get the screen where it looks like it's installing for about a min then it reboots then gives me an error symbol, reboots tells me it was unsuccessful.

A long time ago I rooted my phone, did not install any custom Rom the removed the Root. There was an update a while ago which I received just fine (this was after the root/unroot).

But I thought maybe tripped the Knox counter or something. I booted into Download mode and this is what it says:

odin mode
sch-i545
current status: Custom
csb-oem_config_ls8: 8x38
write protection: enable
emmc burst mode: enabled

I don't see anything about voiding the Knox stuff so I think I am okay.

I also went into my apps, all, Download Manager and cleared the cache.

Also when I boot my phone I get the Samsung Custom with a unlocked padlock symbol.

So I don’t know if it’s having an issue just because or if me previously rooting is causing the issue.

Thoughts?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There was an issue with the update installation process, which could have been due to the device being rooted or a bad download. Eitherway, if performing a factory reset and clearing cache through recovery doesn't work, then you may need to flash the factory image through Odin and restore that way.

Make sure you find the factory firmware for your model S4, as there are different variants and installing one not intended for your device will brick it.

crcucb

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually based on the information you provided I was able to find the firmware and Odin on the net and instructions, I was able to do it and it worked, no issues. Thank you!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually based on the information you provided I was able to find the firmware and Odin on the net and instructions, I was able to do it and it worked, no issues. Thank you!
That's good to hear. Keep that Odin file handy just in case you need to restore at a later date. Also, let us know if you have any other questions.