CNN App No Audio Alert Since Lollipop

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Since the lollipop upgrade, I get notifications of Breaking News from the CNN App, but no alert tone as I previously would get, and get with any similar app. I've updated, uninstalled, reinstalled, checked every setting I can think off, both in the app and within phone settings, and am at a loss.

I'm not seeing comments on the apps google play page suggesting there is an issue, which has me wondering if its a one-off issue on my phone, be it settings or something else.

Anyone else experiencing this?

While I think I looked in every place possible that might affect an alert on a specific app, I'm open to suggestions for anything else to check.

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The app provided the standard notification pre-lollipop. You enable it by telling it you want breaking news alerts.

Still an issue after plenty of reboots and power cycles.

I hesitate to do a cache wipe without a little more insight as to that being a legit solution, as opposed to a shotgun solution. It seems to be the latest greatest cure-all without a lot of understanding as to why. As I think about it, I'm struggling as to why the cache would be affecting alerts. Also, I've cleared the cache specifically for the app with no luck. I also understand the cache wipe is much more extensive than that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's true that the cache partition wipe is a shotgun approach. The problem is that there is no easy way to see exactly what data is in the cache partition. Clearing it can certainly help with various issues, but it's hard to say what the exact culprit was in each situation. Cached data is always supposed to be temporary data that is not crucial for normal functioning, so clearing it should not cause any problems (which is why I suggest it with some regularity).

Did you already contact the CNN app support email?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could help more. If it's a problem with Lollipop, hopefully CNN will update the app to fix it.

By the way, unless this is you, there's at least someone else on Google Play who's having notification issues:

"Live video not working now either o notification ������ anymore? Can't get any support replies Notification sounds haven't worked in months and seems no setting for it anymore . Tech support no longer responds to emails apparently. What's point of breaking news if theres no ������ to let me know to check my phone. Is it Lollipop ������ thing or CNN thing?"

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Haven't looked at the app page in awhile, but yea, that nails it. Sounds like cnn needs to improve their tech support also.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

DonFL

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Trying a work around using the Lightflow app. Besides all the useful LED notification tools, it also allows for custom sound notifications. My guess is it will work as a kluged solution, as it appears it just monitors the notification bar for matches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci