Re-Enable Trusted Credentials on Galaxy S4

sagri

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Long story, so grab a snack and a drink and have a seat. I have a non rooted, Samsung GS4 version 5.0.1 (yes, I know it's old, but so am I). The other day I was kinda bored and skimming though my phone settings. I came across the permissions page and saw a bunch of things from China, Turkey and others that didn't look like they belonged and others I didn't understand in computer speak language. So I started deleting them and then ended up just deleting all of them (Tin Foil Hat Moment). What could go wrong, right? Now I can't do nothing Google related. App store, Google Account settings, Gmail, etc. I keep getting an error message that says "Check your connection and try again" even tho I'm connected to Wifi or Cell data. I can get to the web through the Samsung browser, but even there I get a Site Security Certificate Not trusted warning.
Searched and searched and asked and asked, but no answers thus far.
Finally I went to the Verizon store for help. They were pretty busy with the Tablet recall replacements coming in and iPhone 7s going out. The lady looked at my phone for about 5 minutes or so and said she couldn't figure it out but could get me a replacement because I had insurance on it. Been trying to figure out how to re-eneable Google et al since then to no avail. Now I have its replacement up and running, but I want to retrieve those texts, etc from the old one before I wipe it and send it back to Verizon.
Anyone know how I can restore the Google permissions or whatever I need to do? I can see the certificates (i think its the same ones, but they're all unchecked now and I don't see how I can re-check their blocks).
I was told to do a factory reset, but that'll wipe all my game progresses, text messages, etc. I could still send and receive texts and phone calls and access some apps. That's what I'm trying to prevent, at least until I can recover them first.
Surely I'm not the first doofus to do this so hopefully its been fixed before.
Thanks and sorry so long.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Long story, so grab a snack and a drink and have a seat. I have a non rooted, Samsung GS4 version 5.0.1 (yes, I know it's old, but so am I). The other day I was kinda bored and skimming though my phone settings. I came across the permissions page and saw a bunch of things from China, Turkey and others that didn't look like they belonged and others I didn't understand in computer speak language. So I started deleting them and then ended up just deleting all of them (Tin Foil Hat Moment). What could go wrong, right? Now I can't do nothing Google related. App store, Google Account settings, Gmail, etc. I keep getting an error message that says "Check your connection and try again" even tho I'm connected to Wifi or Cell data. I can get to the web through the Samsung browser, but even there I get a Site Security Certificate Not trusted warning.
Searched and searched and asked and asked, but no answers thus far.
Finally I went to the Verizon store for help. They were pretty busy with the Tablet recall replacements coming in and iPhone 7s going out. The lady looked at my phone for about 5 minutes or so and said she couldn't figure it out but could get me a replacement because I had insurance on it. Been trying to figure out how to re-eneable Google et al since then to no avail. Now I have its replacement up and running, but I want to retrieve those texts, etc from the old one before I wipe it and send it back to Verizon.
Anyone know how I can restore the Google permissions or whatever I need to do? I can see the certificates (i think its the same ones, but they're all unchecked now and I don't see how I can re-check their blocks).
I was told to do a factory reset, but that'll wipe all my game progresses, text messages, etc. I could still send and receive texts and phone calls and access some apps. That's what I'm trying to prevent, at least until I can recover them first.
Surely I'm not the first doofus to do this so hopefully its been fixed before.
Thanks and sorry so long.

Welcome to Android Central!

Try using an app called SMS Backup & Restore. Plug in to your PC and move the files from the backup folder to your desktop. Then plug in the new phone and drop the files in to your download folder on the new phone. Install the app on to the new phone and go through the restore process. You might have to show the new phone where the files are. You can also backup your call logs with the app as well. I use it all the time and love it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en&token=mlZZYCNk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz