Took my unrooted Galaxy S4 out of my pocket last night to see it was frozen on the red Verizon boot screen. It had been working fine when I last it checked it an hour or two prior - and I hadn't installed or modified anything.

If I pull the battery out and restart, it will take me to the encryption screen (where I input my PIN) but then will again freeze at the red Verizon logo.

Things I've tried:
    1) Changing batteries
    2) Taking out micro SD card
    3) Pulling out and reinserting SIM card
    4) Wiping cache
    5) Trying to boot in safe mode (doesn't work, still freezes at Verizon screen)

I tried calling customer support, who recommended I download the Samsung Repair software (which I took to mean the Verizon Samsung Repair software) to my computer, however it doesn't connect with the phone since I can't switch the phone into file transfer mode.

I'd rather not do a factory reset as there are some things I'd love to pull off the phone if possible, but it's not looking likely.

I found this page: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2301259
    though it looks a little intimidating. I've got nothing to lose at this point...

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks to all those who volunteer their time to help troubleshoot the world...

All the best,
    TW
    08-27-2017 04:43 PM
    I've got nothing to lose at this point...
    Welcome to Android Central. Actually, you do, as you could wind up hard bricking the phone. I would do a factory reset and bite the data loss, but hold off for a while and see if your fellow users can give a better alternative.
    08-27-2017 04:49 PM
    Thanks PJRed2008
    08-27-2017 05:14 PM