Surely you've seen the green robot that accompanies the "android update." My S4 gives me that and hangs. I've let it go over 12 hours and it's still hung. I remove and reinsert the battery and the phone works for awhile until the same thing happens again. I'm not convinced this is really an update for such an old phone, plus I have two purchased at the same time (his and hers) and the other one works fine. Any ideas?
    10-20-2018 05:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Did this all start with a system update notification? You're correct that the phone hasn't had an official update in a long time.

You said that when you pulled the battery and then restarted, it worked for a while, and then the robot showed up again. So you mean it booted up normally, and you were using apps and calling/texting people without issue, then suddenly it went back to that screen?
    michaelschuyler likes this.
    10-21-2018 03:31 PM
    Correct in everything you said. After battery extraction/insertion phone boots up normally and allows all apps and tasks. Allows normal charging as well. Keep the phone on and next time I look at it, there's the green robot again.

Welcome to Android Central! Did this all start with a system update notification? You're correct that the phone hasn't had an official update in a long time.

You said that when you pulled the battery and then restarted, it worked for a while, and then the robot showed up again. So you mean it booted up normally, and you were using apps and calling/texting people without issue, then suddenly it went back to that screen?
    10-21-2018 03:42 PM
    It could be an app that's causing instability, or it could be corrupt firmware. If this happens frequently, see if it still happens in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27781
    michaelschuyler likes this.
    10-21-2018 05:42 PM