for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
To expand on MissJennell's post, it's not your god given right to have a smartphone with an unlimited plan. If you wanna play, ya gatta pay, as they say. It's also not Verizon's responsibility to provide you with a plan you can afford. It's Verizon's responsibility to make their share holders money, and your responsibility to live within your means. If enough people downgrade or outright leave to another carrier, they will eventually realize they stepped in it and will lower prices until people start buying their product again.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
k, i'm still on unlimited data, because i signed up in may of 2010....k? THIS DOES NOT AFFECT EXISTING USERS!, PLEASE LEARN TO READ

they cap it because they are trying to even the stake out, you guys do realize it does bog down the network? they have share holders to report to, and technicly, Verizon is just a partnership with vodafone and other companies, CellCo Partnership yes, Vodafone OWNS VERIZON!

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You can choose what you would like to spend your money on. If you want a smartphone and verizon after July 7th then you will have to choose one of the tiered plans.

let me add on to that, if the user is already on unlimited with a smartphone, and is moving to another smartphone, with a contract upgrade, he or she still has unlimited data, they were grandfathered in, just like when verizon took over, alltel plans were grandfathered in (this was back when they had 5 year contracts)

say, you have a droid x, or somthing, and going to the droid 3...you still have unlimited data if you had that phone before july 7th.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
A lot of androids most prominent features require unlimited data. It's going to suck upgrading your phone's firmware or using netflix because Verizon wants to be greedy and kill unlmtd data to squeeze more money yet not improve their infastructure. As a customer, people have the right to complain since it effects everyone in the long run.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A lot of androids most prominent features require unlimited data. It's going to suck upgrading your phone's firmware or using netflix because Verizon wants to be greedy and kill unlmtd data to squeeze more money yet not improve their infastructure. As a customer, people have the right to complain since it effects everyone in the long run.

i already redacted my statement, existing users are grandfathered in, when they upgrade their contracts, they still have unlimited data.
Verizon is greedy? as if, they are doing it because the flipping iZombies have bogged down the network to the point that it's a blindingly SLOW crawl.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
okay, so, here's the thing.....if you are really mad about the data, use a wifi location when you are in or near one.

here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?
i think this is good because it makes people take breaks. i really thing we have become to dependant on technology.

just my random thought.

I'd have to sit in a coffee shop or McDonald's all day. No thanks.

Yes I need to spend hours on my phone. It's my mobile office.

You can be all zen if you want to, but to be relevant in 2011 you need to be connected.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can choose what you would like to spend your money on. If you want a smartphone and verizon after July 7th then you will have to choose one of the tiered plans. If you don't want that then don't get it. Go to a different company. If you don't like their plans then don't get one. There is no one making you get a smartphone or one of the teired data plans on verizon. YOU can choose if you want to spend your money on one.

Same with gas. I don't just drive all over the place because I know that I can't afford and would not like to spend my money on gas all the time. It's also why I chose to get rid of my gas hog SUV and opt for a mid size sedan that gets 35+ mpg. It's all about choices. Which is one of the many great things about living in a free market. A free market that is controlled though so it can't get to outrageous.

I use my phone for work quite a bit, usually downloading files and then dumping them onto my laptop. A lot of places I get sent to don't have internet services running when I get there, so I need a mobile connection. The company I work for doesn't provide phones & only pays a small portion of the bill. If I didn't need the 3G connection for work I'd go the dumbphone/ WiFi laptop route, but that isn't an option for me.

The problem is you can't just go anywhere when all of them play follow the leader as far as what they.offer. AT&T and Verizon start out capped at 2Gb, T-Mobile starts throttling at 2Gb, & I fear Sprint will be forced to join limiting data. So tell me where I go to find a difference in how things are done.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
My heaviest data usages tend to happen within the range of a wireless router. Adapt and overcome....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My heaviest data usages tend to happen within the range of a wireless router. Adapt and overcome....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

That's fine for you, but out in the field I don't have that luxury. Otherwise I could carry a dumbphone and an unactivated smartphone or a tablet and only use wifi. I can't adapt to what's out of my control.

The only other option is to find a job where either they offer a smartphone or a different field that doesn't require a data connection on my phone. In this job market I'd probably end up having to pump gas or flip burgers, but that'd solve my needing a data connection at least.

Last edited:

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The reason people are complaining about the new limited data is because they capped users without giving ANYTHING in return.

What I mean is that before this, they had one price plan $30 for "Unlimited" data. (the promotional limited plan didn't last that long)

Now the change went through and they STILL require a $30 buy in to get data on a smartphone, but now that data is capped at 2GB. Sure, this is only $5 more than ATT, but ATT also offers a limited plan, so they could spin it as adding value for customers.

This doesn't add value for customers, at all. I as a customer have the SAME basic cost for service, but now that service offers less. Sure, I can pay more if I want to, but that's not a benefit. Furthermore, they're still charging extra for tethering. I am one of those people who argued against rooted tethering apps when data was unlimited, but if you're going to cap a user's bandwidth, you should not restrict what they can do with that allotment. Period.

Furthermore, I STILL have to pay $40 for minutes I won't use before I can choose my plan.

If they capped the devices at the prices they have now, but allowed tethering and either reduced minute rates or the ability to sign up for data only and purchase minutes in "buckets" this wouldn't be as big of a deal. But what they did is for most people they don't save a DIME, but are now limited on what they can use their devices for, and they have the audacity to try and pass it off as a "value."

That's why people are annoyed by this change. Most of us knew, logically, that tiered data was on it's way. Heck, I even advocated it. But they went about it completely the wrong way. There is absolutely NO way you can spin these changes as positive for the consumer. They're paying at least as much as they were previously, but getting less. It doesn't matter that most users don't use 2gb yet. Most users don't have 4G and video/music streaming yet.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The reason people are complaining about the new limited data is because they capped users without giving ANYTHING in return.

What I mean is that before this, they had one price plan $30 for "Unlimited" data. (the promotional limited plan didn't last that long)

Now the change went through and they STILL require a $30 buy in to get data on a smartphone, but now that data is capped at 2GB. Sure, this is only $5 more than ATT, but ATT also offers a limited plan, so they could spin it as adding value for customers.

This doesn't add value for customers, at all. I as a customer have the SAME basic cost for service, but now that service offers less. Sure, I can pay more if I want to, but that's not a benefit. Furthermore, they're still charging extra for tethering. I am one of those people who argued against rooted tethering apps when data was unlimited, but if you're going to cap a user's bandwidth, you should not restrict what they can do with that allotment. Period.

Furthermore, I STILL have to pay $40 for minutes I won't use before I can choose my plan.

If they capped the devices at the prices they have now, but allowed tethering and either reduced minute rates or the ability to sign up for data only and purchase minutes in "buckets" this wouldn't be as big of a deal. But what they did is for most people they don't save a DIME, but are now limited on what they can use their devices for, and they have the audacity to try and pass it off as a "value."

That's why people are annoyed by this change. Most of us knew, logically, that tiered data was on it's way. Heck, I even advocated it. But they went about it completely the wrong way. There is absolutely NO way you can spin these changes as positive for the consumer. They're paying at least as much as they were previously, but getting less. It doesn't matter that most users don't use 2gb yet. Most users don't have 4G and video/music streaming yet.

Besides the fact that I simply hate being limited by data caps, this is my main problem with data caps. I'm currently paying $29.99 per moth for unlimited data. If I decide to rersign with Verizon when my current contract ends (which is looking less likely by the day) I would have to sign on for a tiered plan, starting at $29.99 for a mere 2GB per month. Same price, no new features, more limitations. How exactly is that a good thing again? I would be paying the same price I am now for less. Sorry Big Red, not going to happen. And no I'm not going to sign on for the 5GM or 10 GB plan as they are both insanely expensive and even if I could afford them my Verizon bill is high enough as it is.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Executive Leadership

So, I have been digging around trying to find this link for a little while. This is the Verizon Wireless Leadership page. If you are dissatisfied with the data caps or have other issues, these are the people that can influence corporate policies.

My suggestion, try contacting your regional executive first. Be polite. Introduce yourself and provide some basic information such as your name, mobile number, and number of years with Verizon Wireless. If you are out of contract, you should tell them.

Best of luck.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
What I absolutely cannot comprehend is that Verizon is currently still offering unlimited data for pre-paid customers. I just saw this on their website. I am very surprised by this since they obviously want to get customers into post-paid contracts. I believe they also give post-paid customers the perk of roaming on partner networks in the U.S where their coverage isn't available. Pre-paid customers don't get this option.

I'm very surprised they took away unlimited data for future contract customers (that they want to get more by the day), but keep it for pre-paid customers (not high on their priority)?

What am I missing here? :-\

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I still am fortunate to have the unlimited and those of us who do, we are grandfathered in. Whether we upgrade to 4G or keep current 3G (which I have now) we can still keep the unlimited. I had a store manager tell me we have nothing to worry about.
I would make the switch to Sprint if I were to lose the unlimited. And those who say we are complaining aren't paying our bills ! I need the unlimited and it isn't anyone's business how much I use my phone.
There are times I am not at my laptop and need my phone. I pay for a service that I expect to use. The tiered data plans will not work for me and as far as the pricing goes.........it is very expensive for what they are offering. I think Verizon will lose customers over this and they will gain from other carriers. It is how it is. But Sprint still maintains unlimited data and they will see more customers because of it. Their customer service is not the best, but they do have good plans and pricing.
I do prefer Verizon and as long as I can keep unlimited, they will continue to have my business.
It boils down to what I want, not what they say I can have. I have always been with Verizon even when they were known as Airtouch. So I am a very long time customer. But with my present financial situation with unemployment, I need to have the best for my buck. Tiered data is not an option for me.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I am grandfathered in to the unlimited plan on Verizon but apparently they're already trying to find ways around letting you keep it. There's a few articles around about Apple and their FaceTime, how the disagreement currently is that Verizon will only allow it over 3G on a tiered plan and NOT on an unlimited plan.

So what's the point of having an unlimited plan at all if they casually select which apps we can use it for anyway?

Sorry, you have unlimited, but we can't allow you to stream music, watch YouTube, use video calling, check social sites, play online games, broadcast your cam, download apps from the market when not on wi-fi, use any widgets which require constant data but hey, you can check your email as much as you would like! Provided it doesn't have any media attachments of course......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo