for those complaining about the unlimited data going away.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
okay, so, i updated ****, went with the 2gb a month plan. (got it put back)

okay, so, here's the thing.....if you are really mad about the data, use a wifi location when you are in or near one.

here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?
i think this is good because it makes people take breaks. i really thing we have become to dependant on technology.

just my random thought.

Last edited:

DunXel

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
4 Email Clients syncing 24/7 (including Good)
Pandora for music (Gym, Work, Driving)
Facebook
Google+
Surfing web occasionally.
Some Youtube vids.
Those random I should Google that.​
Sorry open WiFi not always available in the grand United States​
Occasional need to Tether.
Tether.com​

-Subtract time lost thanks to Verizon's wonderful Rebooting Thunderbolt.

Most I have used was 1.6Gigs. Least I have used was 800Mb.
On a bad month i bet i could bust the 2Gig mark.. If the phone worked.

The day NetFlix becomes available for my phone without rooting... Thank you Unlimited Data Plan.

jahoobob

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
here is what i think.....do you really need to spend hours on your phone? really?

Some people use their smartphone as their only phone as well as their ONLY internet access. Your question then is "do you really need to spend hours on the internet?"
Who are we to judge?

urdaddi

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
okay, so, i updated ****, went with the 2gb a month plan. (got it put back)

okay, so, here's the thing.....if you are really mad about the data, use a wifi location when you are in or near one.

i think this is good because it makes people take breaks. i really thing we have become to dependant on technology.

just my random thought.

I hate when people THINK that they know what is good for everyone else, like it is any of their business.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why people are complaining either. We all knew these plans were coming. If you wanted unlimited then you should have switched before July 7th. Otherwise just pick the one that will work best for what you use. I use about 4GB a month since switching to Verizon and the iPhone. So for me I'd pick the 5GB a month one if I had to and go on as I am now. And I stream music, video, netflix, HBO Go, email, facebook, twitter, google+, many things on Beejive, the internet, skype, google voice and so on and so forth. I think that people just need something to complain about. It's simple to figure out. You look at how much you have been using and then choose which plan best fits with that.

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Tiered download quotas are MOSTLY a response to artificial scarcity. Start dusting off your pitchforks for the day Verizon builds no-bandwidth-charge "fast lanes" for VCAST apps.

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I use 2gb monthly easily.

DroidTV
Twitter (updates every 30 minutes)
Google Reader
Google+
Netflix (runs maybe once a week)
Pandora
YouTube

I use my phone for both work purposes and personal purposes. I run internet quite a bit throughout the day for work purposes because I am away from my office most days.

It is easier than you think to reach the 2gb mark.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

DroidTV
Google Reader
Google+
Pandora
YouTube

I use my phone for both work purposes and personal purposes. I run internet quite a bit throughout the day for work purposes because I am away from my office most days.

Do you actually monitor your data use or do you just assume your data use?

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I monitor it. For example, my plan starts on the 10th. As of today, i have used, 0.76 gb of data, in 9 days

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I monitor it. For example, my plan starts on the 10th. As of today, i have used, 0.76 gb of data, in 9 days

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Most people only use that in a month. I live on my phone though so I use a ton. But for an average user a 2GB plan would be fine. If not then there are other options.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

DroidTV
Google Reader
Google+
Pandora
YouTube

I easily use 2GB a month as well, and I can't afford to pay for more (Verizon's tiered data prices are absurd). That's why the $29.99 unlimited plan was so great. I could use however much data I need/want in a month for one flat price. I'm just glad I got in on it on time. Besides, I hate having to tip-toe around a data cap. Verizon is insane if they think that I'm going to willingly pay more for less, and as soon as my contract is up it's on to Sprint.

Last edited:

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I easily use 2GB a month as well, and I can't afford to pay for more (Verizon's tiered data prices are absurd). That's why the $29.99 unlimited plan was so great. I could use however much data I need/want in a month for one flat price. I'm just glad I got in on it on time. Besides, I hate having to tip-toe around a data cap. Verizon is insane if they think that I;m going to willingly pay more for less, and as soon as my contract is up it's on to Sprint.

yeah, but where i live, sprint doesn't have data coverage, just their "nationwide network"

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully by the time your contract is up they will have coverage in your area.

i doubt it. besides, i mainlywant sprint for two reason, well three

1. EVO (played with one at a sprint store in KC, MO a few months ago)
2. NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile (i hate dale jr, he is over-rated)
3. unlimited data

but, i doubt it, thing is, my area has had 4 different main carriers in the last 20 years

in the 80's it was Nebraska Wireless (bag-phone era)
early 90's was alliant cellular
mid 90's we went to alltel, then around late 2009 everything went to verizon.
so, if 3 years from now sprint takes over, who knows, but i highly doubt it, if you look at sprint coverage for Grand Island and nebraska, it's like a line that goes from here on I-80 then explodes around Lincoln and omaha, neither lincoln nor omaha have sprint 4g yet, though.

Jo5329

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
We are renewing our contract in the next week (switching phones or we'd be grandfathered to unlimited). After we looked into our average usage (on the Verizon website), we determined the 2g plan is the one we need. I use the internet more and hubby uses the phone and txting more, so it breaks even.

I wish my cable company would do this really - there are so many channels I don't watch and I'm willing to pay for what I use, rather than for what I don't need.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why people are complaining either. We all knew these plans were coming. If you wanted unlimited then you should have switched before July 7th. Otherwise just pick the one that will work best for what you use. I use about 4GB a month since switching to Verizon and the iPhone. So for me I'd pick the 5GB a month one if I had to and go on as I am now. And I stream music, video, netflix, HBO Go, email, facebook, twitter, google+, many things on Beejive, the internet, skype, google voice and so on and so forth. I think that people just need something to complain about. It's simple to figure out. You look at how much you have been using and then choose which plan best fits with that.

If carriers had started tiered data with the iPhone & Moto Droid, we would not have seen the growth of the smartphone like what has happened. It's an often used analogy but it's true "They're like drug dealers, they get you hooked for cheap and then raise the costs."

When there weren't things that required data as there is now, they were offering it free. Then they started pushing smartphones like there was no tomorrow (when was the last time you saw a non-smartphone commercial by Verizon, let alone any carrier), but left unlimited data in place.

Now that smartphones are everywhere they are limiting the amount of data available for the same cost as what was previously unlimited. For a person to get the same capacity as they had before, they'd be paying at least 2/3 more than they currently do for data. Verizon is saying 95% of customers use less than 2GB. If that's the case then why the need to cap it? The reason is that they expect that customers will use more than they currently do in the future, and thus can get more profit when it happens. Upcoming services like Netflix, cloud based services, VOIP, etc., will require more data, and thus more profit for carriers.

Think of it like renting a car. Say you travel about 80 miles a day. Now say the rental company charges $50 a day with a 100 mile allotment. Then one day they decide to change the allotment to 20 miles because 95% of their customers drive less than that. Would that make you consider another company or other means of transportation?

The biggest contradiction is that with Verizon the only upgrade choices we currently have is either a 2 year contract or pay full retail (after they got rid of NE2, annual upgrades, and 1 year contracts). The reasoning Verizon used for eliminating old upgrade choices is that it's too confusing for the customer. But then Verizon takes their unlimited data (what could be less confusing than that) and forces you into caps. Now you have to monitor your data usage. Call me crazy, but I think picking between 5 upgrade options once a year is less confusing than monitoring your data every month.

Last edited:

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If carriers had started tiered data with the iPhone & Moto Droid, we would not have seen the growth of the smartphone like what has happened. It's an often used analogy but it's true "They're like drug dealers, they get you hooked for cheap and then raise the costs."

When there weren't things that required data as there is now, they were offering it free. Then they started pushing smartphones like there was no tomorrow (when was the last time you saw a non-smartphone commercial by Verizon, let alone any carrier), but left unlimited data in place.

Now that smartphones are everywhere they are limiting the amount of data available for the same cost as what was previously unlimited. For a person to get the same capacity as they had before, they'd be paying at least 2/3 more than they currently do for data. Verizon is saying 95% of customers use less than 2GB. If that's the case then why the need to cap it? The reason is that they expect that customers will use more than they currently do in the future, and thus can get more profit when it happens. Upcoming services like Netflix, cloud based services, VOIP, etc., will require more data, and thus more profit for carriers.

Think of it like renting a car. Say you travel about 80 miles a day. Now say the rental company charges $50 a day with a 100 mile allotment. Then one day they decide to change the allotment to 20 miles because 95% of their customers drive less than that. Would that make you consider another company or other means of transportation?

The biggest contradiction is that with Verizon the only upgrade choices we currently have is either a 2 year contract or pay full retail (after they got rid of NE2, annual upgrades, and 1 year contracts). The reasoning Verizon used for eliminating old upgrade choices is that it's too confusing for the customer. But then Verizon takes their unlimited data (what could be less confusing than that) and forces you into caps. Now you have to monitor your data usage. Call me crazy, but I think picking between 5 upgrade options once a year is less confusing than monitoring your data every month.

They are a for profit company........

And they can't force you to have a smartphone. If you don't wanna pay the prices then don't have a smartphone. It is really that simple. Yet people make it out to be like this god awful decision.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They are a for profit company........

And they can't force you to have a smartphone. If you don't wanna pay the prices then don't have a smartphone. It is really that simple. Yet people make it out to be like this god awful decision.

So nothing is out of bounds for carrier's then? Then why not $100 for 2GB of data? How much is enough, especially when they're making huge profits? The cell carriers are the ones who pushed for everyone to get smartphones. They made them so affordable that it made sense to get them over a featurephone. With the way the economy is going charging more for less flies in the face of what most companies are doing.

So by your previous statements I can assume that you'd have no problem with a hike in gas prices. Oil companies are for profit also. Would you be ok with $6 a gallon gas. You don't need a car. If you want it you'll pay for it. And before you say a car is a necessity, there are plenty of people who don't have cars. Hell there are probably more people with cell phones than cars.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
So nothing is out of bounds for carrier's then? Then why not $100 for 2GB of data? How much is enough, especially when they're making huge profits? The cell carriers are the ones who pushed for everyone to get smartphones. They made them so affordable that it made sense to get them over a featurephone. With the way the economy is going charging more for less flies in the face of what most companies are doing.

So by your previous statements I can assume that you'd have no problem with a hike in gas prices. Oil companies are for profit also. Would you be ok with $6 a gallon gas. You don't need a car. If you want it you'll pay for it. And before you say a car is a necessity, there are plenty of people who don't have cars. Hell there are probably more people with cell phones than cars.

You can choose what you would like to spend your money on. If you want a smartphone and verizon after July 7th then you will have to choose one of the tiered plans. If you don't want that then don't get it. Go to a different company. If you don't like their plans then don't get one. There is no one making you get a smartphone or one of the teired data plans on verizon. YOU can choose if you want to spend your money on one.

Same with gas. I don't just drive all over the place because I know that I can't afford and would not like to spend my money on gas all the time. It's also why I chose to get rid of my gas hog SUV and opt for a mid size sedan that gets 35+ mpg. It's all about choices. Which is one of the many great things about living in a free market. A free market that is controlled though so it can't get to outrageous.