$200 Verizon Phone

Knufire

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been without a phone period for about 3 months now. Why? Because I have been waiting and waiting for the GSII, but frankly, I'm getting kind of sick of waiting. I'm not going to spend more then $200 on a phone, so it gives me 4 options:
  • TBolt (refurb)
  • LG Revolution
  • Droid 3
  • Inc2

Thing's to keep in mind. I am an extremely heavy texter, which is why the Droid 3 is appealing to me. This is where battery life comes into play for me too. I LOVE me some good battery life. Don't know how much easier a tiny physical keyboard is compared to a on-screen after some practice.
Second is that I'm a techie, which brings a few things. I would love having a dual core phone, again the D3, but I was constantly crashing on my iPad due to maxing out that, I believe that also had 512. And this thing will be rooted and rommed as soon as I get it, if possible, and I've heard that the Inc2 has some great developer support.
Third, I do live in a LTE covered area, and I might use quite a bit of data. Not really sure as I've never had a smartphone.
And lastly, I have extremely small hands. Holding the TB, I couldn't come close to reaching the bottom buttons with my thumb. I really could barely use the phone for anything other then reading with one hand, but I'm not sure if this is actually a big deal or not.

I've been leaning to the D3, but non-rooted and no 4G for another two years worry me. If you want to try to convince me to keep waiting for the GSII, go ahead, I have no doubt it's going to be by far the best phone on the market. But again, slim chances that I can get it if it releases over $200.

arran1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunatly, the SGS2 will probably release over $200 :( Considering Verizons 4g phones range from 199-299 and Samsung having the 299 phone, I dont doubt it will be the same price.

I presonally say (and everbody is going to yell at me) stay away from 4g for another year at least. Because not everywhere has 4g, and 4g is a huge battery killer.(and yes, I know it is mainly the roaming between 3and 4g) Also, any bugs will definatly be worked out by then.

And at least you are global with the Droid 3, and have a very new phone.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend the dinc2, I have the first one and it's great! Especially with the gingerbread keyboard, I can type so fast! I agree that avoiding 4g is probably best, just because there seems to be problems with all the lte phones right now. Besides as long as you have decent signal strength, 3g is decently fast. I can watch YouTube on high quality with no issues at all.

I personally am holding out to see if nexus prime comes to Verizon and weigh my options then, but if I had to get a phone today I would likely go for the inc2.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been leaning to the D3, but non-rooted and no 4G for another two years worry me. If you want to try to convince me to keep waiting for the GSII, go ahead, I have no doubt it's going to be by far the best phone on the market. But again, slim chances that I can get it if it releases over $200.

Like others have said, it's not likely to release at a $199.99 price point.

Have you thought about Craigslist? You can keep the contract upgrade, usually find a decent Droid X or even a Droid 2 for a reasonable amount of money, and then flip it in a few months (if you find the right deal and haggle a bit on the price, even make a little profit).

In terms of texting, I'm the same way, but I've never used a physical QWERTY Android phone. I find there are two kinds of onscreen keyboards - the iPhone and everyone else. I love Android phones, but I simply can't type as quick as I could on my old iPhone (45 wpm on my TBolt compared to 60 wpm on my iPhone). It takes getting used to, but it's not really too difficult. The best way is to keep testing them out in a store and seeing which your fingers prefer.

I would like to point out that I'm amazed you've been without a phone for 3 months because of waiting. You're a stronger person than I.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
t-bolt: bugs and HTC bloatware, front facing camera
LG revo: havn't played with it yet, but, LG is a really really really good company, so, check it out.
droid 3: Dual core, shipps with gingerbread 2.3.3, no 4g, though, it's a 3g phone. however, it has a 1080p rear camera and i think a 5mp front cam.
inc2: 4inch screen, front facing camera, Gingerbread.

brocklee137

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The Charge is down to 200 as well. Best screen on the market, 4G, easy root, sadly Froyo but all signs point to GB around the corner

I would recommend the Charge as well; easily obtainable for less than 200 if you buy from a 3rd party such as amazon, costco, etc.

If you don't want the Charge, then I would definitely go for the D3. Good build quality; physical keyboard without adding excessive bulk, and dual core, obviously. Oh, and the extended battery doesn't actually change the form factor at all; it's barely noticeable! But of course, 512 mb of RAM could be a letdown. My DC has 512 as well, and I find that I have to occasionally close some apps to keep my phone from slowing down.

Good luck!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae